The Lachenmann Lacuna

Started by not edward, January 03, 2008, 07:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amw

It's Arditti/Alberman/Knox/de Saram, recorded 1994 I think.

CRCulver

Quote from: amw on June 01, 2014, 04:04:42 PM
It's Arditti/Alberman/Knox/de Saram, recorded 1994 I think.

Could you actually check the booklet, please? I am aware that the disc was released in 1994, but I have not been able to determine the actual year of recording.

amw

Unfortunately the actual disc is currently in a box, waiting to be loaded into a shipping container to cross the Pacific, so I can't. Edward might know

not edward

Arditti/Alberman/Knox/de Saram; 1990 for Reigen seliger geister, 1991 for Tanzsuite mit Deutschlandlied.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

CRCulver

Quote from: edward on June 04, 2014, 05:01:34 AM
Arditti/Alberman/Knox/de Saram; 1990 for Reigen seliger geister, 1991 for Tanzsuite mit Deutschlandlied.

Thanks.

snyprrr

Quote from: CRCulver on June 04, 2014, 09:49:54 AM
Thanks.

so,... are you gonna tell us what your project is? huh? huh? tell us!! tell us!!

CRCulver

Quote from: snyprrr on June 04, 2014, 10:03:45 AM
so,... are you gonna tell us what your project is? huh? huh? tell us!! tell us!!

In my system of tagging media files, I disambiguate two different recordings of one piece by the same artist by means of the recording date. That's all. I knew when the recent Kairos CD with Lachenmann's String Quartet No. 2 was recorded, but I didn't know when the Arditti's first recording was made, as I don't have a copy of that disc (just a filesharing community download).

not edward

Good news for Lachenmann fans: Kairos releases CD premieres of Schreiben and Double (Grido II) in February:

[asin]B00P34RMOU[/asin]
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."

ibanezmonster

Quote from: edward on December 31, 2014, 11:22:29 AM
Good news for Lachenmann fans: Kairos releases CD premieres of Schreiben and Double (Grido II) in February:

[asin]B00P34RMOU[/asin]
Cool!  :)

Artem

I'm also looking forward to it. Love Kairos.

Oclock

A (little) new interview with Lachenmann:

Helmut Lachenmann: "I never intended to disturb, I just followed my musical visions"

http://www.chorrodeluz.net/2015/12/helmut-lachenmann-i-never-intended-to.html

snyprrr

Quote from: Oclock on December 17, 2015, 07:53:42 AM

Helmut Lachenmann: "I never intended to disturb, I just followed my musical visions"

I thought there was a fued between him and Sciarrino, but here he mentions Sciarrino's name in a favorable light... or was it Rihm????

Mandryka

Quote from: Oclock on December 17, 2015, 07:53:42 AM

What do you think this means?

QuoteThe C-major sound in the Jupitersymphonie  has he same three notes, Do-Mi-Sol,  as Wagners  ouverture from Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg: But it is a totally different sound for it is a totallcont 

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Oclock

Quote from: Mandryka on December 18, 2015, 06:07:12 AM

What do you think this means?

Sorry... "But it is a totally different sound for it is a totally different context"  ;)               

Mandryka

Quote from: Oclock on December 18, 2015, 01:40:27 PM
Sorry... "But it is a totally different sound for it is a totally different context"  ;)               

Aha. I should have guessed!

What I thought was most interesting (maybe everyone else is familiar with it already) was the idea that the move from Mozart to Beethoven and on to Wagner is like the move to "modern" Schoenberg and on to Lachenmann. This is exactly how I "feel" as a listener with no real musical education. But I have no idea whether the thesis will hold water.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

not edward

Two new Lachenmann releases from Neos... somewhat disappointingly low playing time and nothing previously unrecorded, but Aimard in Ausklang sounds like a treat.

Ausklang - Aimard, SOBR, Nott
Zwei Gefühle / Schreiben - Lachenmann, SOBR, Eötvös / Mälkki

snyprrr

Quote from: edward on December 21, 2015, 08:31:08 AM
Two new Lachenmann releases from Neos... somewhat disappointingly low playing time and nothing previously unrecorded, but Aimard in Ausklang sounds like a treat.

Ausklang - Aimard, SOBR, Nott
Zwei Gefühle / Schreiben - Lachenmann, SOBR, Eötvös / Mälkki

Rihm-Lachenmann-Sciarrino.... the three headed beast of the 'Last Generation' of Ultra Moderns... plugging away.... who will end up in the NY Times first?? front page, LOL

I'm massively losing hope concerning that Mode/Xenakis series... it's been almost two years since a release, and I was promised three for 2015, none of which materialized...

snyprrr

Why Don't I Like Lachenmann?

I have had his first String Quartet on that old old ColLegno production with the 'Salut fur Caudwell', and always enjoyed its "all sounds" approach of scratching and clawing for every eighth note. And I also enjoy the 2nd SQ, what is it?, 'Dance of the Blessed Spirits' or something?,- but I didn't care too much for the concerto for SQ and Orchestra, 'Tanzsuite mit Deutschlandleid'.

Since I've been on a German Rampage of late, like much of the world, so, I always avoid Helmut, but I listened to Aimard's Ausklang on YT... and it just went on... and on... and on... and I've had similar problems with his pieces of length.

I did enjoy the samples of the ECM Opera, and that may seem to be the way to go? All those Kairos doscs...

And, frankly, the Discography doesn't seem all that large at all.  What's wrong with me??

Ken B

Quote from: snyprrr on June 04, 2016, 07:00:41 AM
Why Don't I Like Lachenmann?

I have had his first String Quartet on that old old ColLegno production with the 'Salut fur Caudwell', and always enjoyed its "all sounds" approach of scratching and clawing for every eighth note. And I also enjoy the 2nd SQ, what is it?, 'Dance of the Blessed Spirits' or something?,- but I didn't care too much for the concerto for SQ and Orchestra, 'Tanzsuite mit Deutschlandleid'.

Since I've been on a German Rampage of late, like much of the world, so, I always avoid Helmut, but I listened to Aimard's Ausklang on YT... and it just went on... and on... and on... and I've had similar problems with his pieces of length.

I did enjoy the samples of the ECM Opera, and that may seem to be the way to go? All those Kairos doscs...

And, frankly, the Discography doesn't seem all that large at all.  What's wrong with me??

"Why" and "snyprrr" should never be used in the same sentence.

nathanb

Quote from: snyprrr on December 27, 2015, 10:52:09 AM
Rihm-Lachenmann-Sciarrino.... the three headed beast of the 'Last Generation' of Ultra Moderns... plugging away.... who will end up in the NY Times first?? front page, LOL

I'm massively losing hope concerning that Mode/Xenakis series... it's been almost two years since a release, and I was promised three for 2015, none of which materialized...

Off topic, but have you acquired the new one yet? It's a DVD, but has a rather unique work. I will probably acquire it soon, along with Mode's Czernowin opera.

I love Lachenmann to pieces, but I'm not particularly in the mood to try to explain why, right this moment.

And I'm not sure what qualifies as "ultra-modern", but I'd say the Kurtag-Cerha-Huber triad of 90 year old masters is the one teetering on the edge of tragedy in my mind. As for Rihm-Lachenmann-Sciarrino, only Sciarrino seems to be particularly interested in pushing forward still. Lachenmann composition has slowed, as the interview says, and Rihm has been coming down from a 40-year high for 10 years now. Well, I guess Sound As Will was a pretty cool piece.