Franck Fort

Started by ChamberNut, January 07, 2008, 04:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Cato on February 16, 2013, 12:29:41 PM
On the other hand Franck's tone poems should not have a soporific effect, or at least the above-recommended Le Chasseur Maudit could not possibly put anyone to sleep.

The Munch recording could wake the dead - which would indeed be ironic!

I have recently been asked to review this new CD:

[asin]B0092YHFH6[/asin]

It contains Franck's tone poem Ce qu'on entend sur la montagne, which has the distinction of being the first tone poem ever composed, beating out Franz Liszt in a squeaker. It's sometimes atmospheric but sometimes not all that interesting, in a generic Germanic way. There is a pretty exciting climax near the end, though.

More interestingly, we have a few choice cuts from the ballet music in the opera Hulda - again, some dull but some very good - and a recording of the Symphony which, to my surprise, could stand up to anybody's. The Belgian orchestra is extremely good and Christian Arming offers a big sweeping romantic interpretation. To give you an idea, his timing for the first two movements of the symphony is only five seconds off Bernstein's.

Cato

Great performance, especially of Le Chasseur Maudit.

[asin]B000003CWX[/asin]
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Cato

Since we are in the middle of Lent and Easter now looms, Franck's Psalm 150 is a barn-burner of a choral hymn:

[asin]B000001SGZ[/asin]

There is a Mormon Tabernacle Choir performance as well, but I liked this smaller group.

snyprrr

I have tears in my eyes over this most perfectly realized Thread Title. Would that all were matched up so well...

I just haven't seen this Thread in 5 years?! huh

As for Franck- eh, mm- would his SQ be considered the "Wagner SQ"? Is this what a wagner SQ would have sounded like?

Cato

Quote from: snyprrr on March 30, 2014, 11:25:43 AM
I have tears in my eyes over this most perfectly realized Thread Title. Would that all were matched up so well...

I just haven't seen this Thread in 5 years?! huh

As for Franck- eh, mm- would his SQ be considered the "Wagner SQ"? Is this what a Wagner SQ would have sounded like?

Well, Wagner's SQ is called The Siegfried Idyll.  0:)

Snyprr: if you have not heard Le Chasseur Maudit (The Wild Huntsman), then you are not yet a true musical berserker!

https://www.youtube.com/v/WpKlEmrO_AM

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on March 30, 2014, 01:48:35 PM

Snyprr: if you have not heard Le Chasseur Maudit (The Wild Huntsman), then you are not yet a true musical berserker!

https://www.youtube.com/v/WpKlEmrO_AM

That's an awesome work. I remember hearing it years ago when I was getting into Franck for the first time. I need to plunge my Franck collection and see what comes up.

torut

I like Franck's organ works. Some pieces are very atmospheric. I can't tell the authenticity of the performance or the instrument, but I think this Hans-Eberhard Roß's set is nice, although the recording level is a bit low.

[asin]B008BDOIP6[/asin]

So far, my favorite is op. 18.

Prelude Fugue et Variation op.18 played by Olena Yuryeva
https://www.youtube.com/v/eOd1RvwqTps

ZauberdrachenNr.7

As a youth, I often heard Franck's Symphony in D minor - not an exaggeration to say, I think, that it was then a staple of American, and I believe European, orchestras.  One hears it less and less and I fear the slimness of this thread itself is perhaps revelatory of his star's decline. :'(

Anyway, a question for you Franck Forters, those remaining in this noble bastion which seems increasingly to resemble the Alamo, fighting the good fight... I read in the Gramophone Guide 2011, much praise for Tortelier's (Chandos) performance of the Symphony in D minor, a work which for me continues to exert a fascination after 40 years of listening to it.   Apparently, Tortelier whips through it five minutes more quickly than two of the other conductor/race horses Chailly and Herbie, and per the Guide, makes it work wonderfully.  Have any of you heard it?  What do you think?  And do I need it?    Your thoughts much appreciated!

Cato

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on December 28, 2015, 06:24:43 AM
   Apparently, Tortelier whips through it five minutes more quickly than two of the other conductor/race horses Chailly and Herbie, and per the Guide, makes it work wonderfully.  Have any of you heard it?  What do you think?  And do I need it?    Your thoughts much appreciated!

Take a listen thanks to YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/v/ewtU4_Trw84

Karl Henning

There are no fewer than three recordings of the Symphony in the Monteux box.  It is no exaggeration to say that this conductor single-handedly sold me on the piece.

[asin]B00MAPMAFQ[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

springrite

Quote from: karlhenning on December 28, 2015, 07:44:45 AM
There are no fewer than three recordings of the Symphony in the Monteux box.  It is no exaggeration to say that this conductor single-handedly sold me on the piece.

[asin]B00MAPMAFQ[/asin]

Me, too.

Also Fiorentino's recording of the piano music!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Cato on December 28, 2015, 07:18:59 AM
Take a listen thanks to YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/v/ewtU4_Trw84

Mille mercis pour votre aide, M. Cato!  Worthy performance, indeed, as advertised.  Feel a purchase coming on. 

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: karlhenning on December 28, 2015, 07:44:45 AM

[asin]B00MAPMAFQ[/asin]

Always knew I should own that treasure box.  Thanks, Karl.  The fact that Monteux conducted it three times (I have just one recording of it from him) prob. demonstrates his own personal interest in the work as much as it does the (apparently erstwhile) public demand for same.  Never forgot the rainy autumn eve I first heard the Symphony on the radio and recognized it as something special and compositionally peculiar. I had already heard his Chasseur Maudit (as a teen I sought out such titles!)  New Grove, curiously, perhaps tellingly?, devotes to the Symphony nothing more than a few mentions.   Fun Fact :  it was dedicated to Henri Duparc, so you know it's got to be good! 

cilgwyn

I finally managed to obtain this cd,at a reasonable price. Sellers always seem to ask huge prices. I quite like Le Chasseur maudit from one,or two,recordings. Not this one. I haven't heard any of the other music. Anyone familiar with this cd? Cluytens is usually very good in this repertoire. Hopefully,it will be in the described condition ("Very good").

kyjo

Franck's Piano Trio (Trio concertant) no. 1 is an astonishingly assured work for an op. 1, and very forward-looking for 1840 when it was written (the composer was only 18 at the time). The inexorably growing power of the first movement and the passionate ecstasy of the finale are really remarkable. I even think I prefer it to his much better-known and later Piano Quintet.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

I do remember the piano trios are stupendous works. I have good memories of them, and especially of the 1st as a deserved masterpiece and as you point out Kyle. Definitely I have to revisit them soon.

I own these recordings:

JBS

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on December 21, 2018, 05:13:41 PM
I do remember the piano trios are stupendous works. I have good memories of them, and especially of the 1st as a deserved masterpiece and as you point out Kyle. Definitely I have to revisit them soon.

I own these recordings:

This is entirely nonmusical and also entirely silly, but...looking at those CD covers, I have to wonder why they put the before picture with volume 2 and the after picture with volume 1. Usually it's the other way around...

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

schnittkease

Quote from: kyjo on December 21, 2018, 02:18:48 PM
Franck's Piano Trio (Trio concertant) no. 1 is an astonishingly assured work for an op. 1, and very forward-looking for 1840 when it was written (the composer was only 18 at the time). The inexorably growing power of the first movement and the passionate ecstasy of the finale are really remarkable. I even think I prefer it to his much better-known and later Piano Quintet.

I agree with everything except for the bolded. IMO the Quintet's thematic development is far more assured and the overall work more impactful. Plus, I'm a sucker for those brash strings / poetic piano dialogues. Takács/Hamelin is a great recording.

André

Quote from: schnittkease on December 21, 2018, 07:01:12 PM
I agree with everything except for the bolded. IMO the Quintet's thematic development is far more assured and the overall work more impactful. Plus, I'm a sucker for those brash strings / poetic piano dialogues. Takács/Hamelin is a great recording.

Duly noted, thanks !

Brahmsian

This is an absolutely amazing disc!  :)

My first exposure to all pieces.  Le Chasseur maudit was a knock out.  All were great, but the true standout "blown me away" work was actually the Psyché, symphonic poem for chorus and orchestra.  Highly recommend this disc!