Franck Fort

Started by ChamberNut, January 07, 2008, 04:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChamberNut

I don't think there is a thread specifically for Cesar Franck.

Calling all Franckfurters!  :)

ChamberNut

I am looking for some recommendations for Franck's chamber music, among other French composers' chamber music.

However, I noticed that alot of the French composers have small chamber music outputs, which means alot of composer combination discs  >:(

Kullervo

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 07, 2008, 04:52:08 AM
I am looking for some recommendations for Franck's chamber music, among other French composers' chamber music.

However, I noticed that alot of the French composers have small chamber music outputs, which means alot of composer combination discs  >:(

I have these:

ChamberNut

Thanks Corey.  Those look of great interest to me.  The 2nd one on Naxos, I've sampled!!  I love both the Franck and Chausson.  I'm pretty sure I'll be getting that one.

carlos

IMHO, best Franck chamber is his magnificent SQ, one of
the best of the 19th.century. Mi version (excelent) by the Prague City SQ plus the violin son.by Kremer, on Praga CD   :D :D
Piantale a la leche hermano, que eso arruina el corazón! (from a tango's letter)

Sergeant Rock

Nice pun in the title, even if it is nonsensical. I'd prefer Fort Franck though....but then I would, wouldn't I  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

While I'm here, let me put in a plug for my favorite recording of the Symphony:

A gloriously broad and majestic performance: Franck as Bruckner.

Sarge

BachQ

MishaK

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 08, 2008, 02:10:55 PM
While I'm here, let me put in a plug for my favorite recording of the Symphony:

A gloriously broad and majestic performance: Franck as Bruckner.

Sarge

Is that available somewhere stateside?

not edward

"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

ChamberNut

Fine Arts - Franck's String Quartet and Piano Quintet

I'm highly anticipating this Naxos release by the Fine Arts Quartet.  I really love their recording of the Schumann string quartets.

not edward

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 03, 2008, 07:55:08 AM
Fine Arts - Franck's String Quartet and Piano Quintet

I'm highly anticipating this Naxos release by the Fine Arts Quartet.  I really love their recording of the Schumann string quartets.
That looks very interesting indeed. I'll definitely be buying!
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Grazioso

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 07, 2008, 04:52:08 AM

As for other French composers' chamber music, I'm enjoying this so far:

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Philoctetes

I'm going to bump this thread up. I'll be honest I used to think that his shit was just too sappy for my tastes, you know that sickly sweet shit, rots out the teeth, but lately I've just been digging him, and am looking for any good recommendations for his music.

Octave

This thread has been dormant forever, but I would like to ask for an essential ~few+ Cesar Franck recording recommendations as a smart way in to this composer's work; perhaps my best answers are already here.  I'm not sure I've heard any Franck before!  It seems unlikely, but there you are.

The Sony reissue of the Giulini SYMPHONY that Sarge mentioned above looks like it might be freshly reissued (on a real CD, let's hope) in April:

[asin]B00B7U5LJ2[/asin]
Franck: SYMPHONY IN D + SYMPHONIC VARIATIONS FOR PIANO AND ORCHESTRA (Sony)
(The ASIN is B00B7U5LJ2, and is not listed at Amazon US yet; I found a listing with almost no info at Amazon UK.)

Though the exact issue Sarge mentioned seems to be available at this ASIN as well (Amazon UK but not Amazon US):

[asin]B0000ALKQS[/asin]

Also curious to hear how you like that Ansermet/Barenboim Eloquence reissue, Sarge, when you get around to listening to it.

Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Octave on February 16, 2013, 07:24:21 AM
Also curious to hear how you like that Ansermet/Barenboim Eloquence reissue, Sarge, when you get around to listening to it.

I'll be listening soon. Will let you know how it goes.

Sarge

Cato

I can recommend this CD, which also has the incredible Le Chasseur Maudit:

[asin]B000003CWX[/asin]

The old Charles Munch/Boston recording with Le Chasseur and the Ernst Chausson Symphony is a barn-burner, if you can find it!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

snyprrr

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 07, 2008, 04:48:25 AM
I don't think there is a thread specifically for Cesar Franck.

Calling all Franckfurters!  :)

Are you serious? You couped THIS? How can that be? What is wrooong with people? ??? Argh, and here I am trying to find the most famous w/o a thread. :( What? should I start a Cesar Cui thread (Cui Balls?)??

So, what of Franck's Tone Peopms? Will they put me to sleep, or no?

Cato

Quote from: snyprrr on February 16, 2013, 08:43:46 AM

So, what of Franck's Tone Peopms? Will they put me to sleep, or no?

It depends how many peopms you pop!  More than three or four could be dangerous!   0:)

On the other hand Franck's tone poems should not have a soporific effect, or at least the above-recommended Le Chasseur Maudit could not possibly put anyone to sleep.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)