Author Topic: Box Blather  (Read 246392 times)

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
Re: Box Blather
« Reply #1080 on: September 06, 2020, 05:41:49 PM »
Are you you using a freeware ripping application that retrieves track info from a free server? I’d so, you might try iTunes, which will access the real gracenote database.

Um... I’m playing the CDs and literally talking about the CD covers and the booklet. Everything I said was clearly about physical objects. Why does ripping come into it?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #1081 on: September 13, 2020, 05:36:57 PM »
Had a dream that I was thinking about buying the Complete Beethoven Naxos box and looked down at the floor and there it was!

This may be what they call a "sign".

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #1082 on: September 13, 2020, 05:39:44 PM »
Had a dream that I was thinking about buying the Complete Beethoven Naxos box and looked down at the floor and there it was!

A good sign.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1083 on: September 13, 2020, 11:51:27 PM »

You must have a lot of shelf space! Or a big garage...  :D

Q

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #1084 on: September 14, 2020, 04:13:02 AM »
You must have a lot of shelf space! Or a big garage...  :D

Q
the opposite sadly - no garage at all! The big Charles Munch and Robert Casadesus boxes live in a closet behind my shirts  ??? ???

Offline hvbias

« Reply #1085 on: November 06, 2020, 07:42:30 AM »
Samson Francois' new Erato Complete Recordings - does anyone know if there is any additional music on it compared to the old L'Edition Integrale? Or are the additional 18 CDs on the former due to the discs being shorter to preserve the original jacket theme?

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #1086 on: November 06, 2020, 08:02:38 AM »
I have a hard time imagining they could have found even more music. The old integral included quite a bit of odds, ends, live recordings (I don't think I ever listened to the whole thing, I should make it a long term project like with the Rubinstein box....). But I don't know the answer.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline hvbias

« Reply #1087 on: November 06, 2020, 09:29:18 AM »
I have a hard time imagining they could have found even more music. The old integral included quite a bit of odds, ends, live recordings (I don't think I ever listened to the whole thing, I should make it a long term project like with the Rubinstein box....). But I don't know the answer.

From a classical thread on another hifi forum it looks like there are two concerts from 1969, 1970 and a DVD documentary. As much as I love looking at that old LP art I think I'll stream those concerts to see if I'm missing much but will more than likely stick with my old L'Edition Integrale.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #1088 on: November 17, 2020, 03:52:27 PM »

Nobody has mentioned this recent release, probably a third string in the "Guitar Big Box" sweepstakes behind the Julian Bream and John Williams megaboxes. I just bought it, though. It revives the long out-of-print 60s-70s Erato series dedicated to guitar music, including a lot of (then-)contemporary works, played by a bunch of prizewinners from that era, many of whom are no longer especially famous. But when I saw that they hired Leo Brouwer to do three LPs, all included in the box - Brouwer Plays Brouwer, a disc of music by his fellow Cubans, and his transcriptions of Scarlatti - I more or less immediately hit purchase. Brouwer is one of our great living musical minds, in my eccentric opinion.

There is a bonus disc including obligatory Rodrigo concertos for no particular reason; it wasn't part of the original series. 25 CDs for $50, if any guitar or Brouwer megafans are out there. My copy should arrive in 2ish weeks, along with the new Szell/Warner and Hurwitz's recommendation of the Theodore Kuchar Brilliant box.