Liszt - Années de Pèlerinage

Started by marvinbrown, May 04, 2007, 05:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Mandryka on September 25, 2022, 12:06:09 AMOne of the things I've learned about myself is that my taste in piano music has a good deal in common with William Barrington Coupe's.

Joyce Hatto was a fantastically gifted pianist who could change her stylistic approach effortlessly.

Quote from: Mandryka on September 25, 2022, 12:07:07 AMOh and while I'm hear let me ask a question. What is the best transfer of Kempff's Années?

How many are there?  I have the Originals reissue and would never have any reason to hear any other version.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on September 25, 2022, 04:58:45 AM
Joyce Hatto was a fantastically gifted pianist who could change her stylistic approach effortlessly.

How many are there?  I have the Originals reissue and would never have any reason to hear any other version.

Well I've just got this and it sounds wonderful! And I'm listening with just two channels.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8061438--liszt-annees-de-pelerinage-italie-deux-legendes
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

Quote from: Mandryka on September 25, 2022, 05:43:03 AM
Well I've just got this and it sounds wonderful! And I'm listening with just two channels.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8061438--liszt-annees-de-pelerinage-italie-deux-legendes

I suppose the recording could be remastered to sound better.  I'm not sure restoring failed Quadrophonic technology is much of a selling point.  It's just going to fail a second time.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on September 25, 2022, 06:02:38 AM

I suppose the recording could be remastered to sound better.  I'm not sure restoring failed Quadrophonic technology is much of a selling point.  It's just going to fail a second time.

I take it back now. I want the recordings from the 1950s in better sound

I was sitting there thinking "These sound good, why don't they have the magic, is it me? Then I realised  . . . .

(Never liked 1970s Kempff much!)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mandryka on September 25, 2022, 10:17:33 AM
I take it back now. I want the recordings from the 1950s in better sound

I was sitting there thinking "These sound good, why don't they have the magic, is it me? Then I realised  . . . .

(Never liked 1970s Kempff much!)

I have the 70's Kempff/Liszt but never realized there were much older recordings on Decca.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mandryka

Unbelievably, jaw droppingly, beautiful and poetic Kempff Liszt here -- very very early and decent sound.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0OS6jAACERS4SWPIpyDLy5

Mandryka

Quote from: amw on January 13, 2019, 06:59:45 PM
My personal pick would be Cziffra simply for the quality of the pianism, which I know Todd was unimpressed by. I listen to a lot of Cziffra I guess. I also have & appreciate the Schirmer (especially since she autographed my copy, and gave me recommendations on her favourite pieces, which are mostly in Year 3)

I am very very impressed by Cziffra in Bk 3. I don't feel the same as Todd about him being unpoetic. What it is (and I remember some of his Chopin can be like this) is grey shaded. The timbres are nuanced and rather beautiful, but somehow uniform. Anyway, I think the third suite is hard to pull off - dark music - and Cziffra does pull it off. I haven't heard him yet in the other two suites.

Mandryka

Quote from: Leo K. on May 13, 2012, 06:54:00 AMAs a lover of Bolet's Années de pèlerinage, I'm also finding Angelich's account really satisfying. Controlled but not restrictive, imaginitive execution, and with realistic sound quality.

Vallée d'Obermann, from the first year, is just so amazing to experience.

More than 10 years after, I'm very much in agreement with you about the Angelich.

This music really is the analogue of WTC for pianos!

Atriod

Quote from: Mandryka on November 22, 2023, 01:08:01 AMMore than 10 years after, I'm very much in agreement with you about the Angelich.

This music really is the analogue of WTC for pianos!

Have you heard Mūza Rubackytė? She remains my favorite. Her Franck album is also in my all time favorite piano CDs.

Mandryka

Quote from: Atriod on November 22, 2023, 05:50:16 AMHave you heard Mūza Rubackytė? She remains my favorite. Her Franck album is also in my all time favorite piano CDs.

Well I know it exists, I really don't know if I want to get in the business listening to others at the moment - I'll just settle with Angelich and Cziffra for a while I think, get to know the music better.

Mandryka

Quote from: Atriod on November 22, 2023, 05:50:16 AMHave you heard Mūza Rubackytė? She remains my favorite.

It is indeed exceptionally good, at least in Italy.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mandryka on November 22, 2023, 08:26:02 AMWell I know it exists, I really don't know if I want to get in the business listening to others at the moment - I'll just settle with Angelich and Cziffra for a while I think, get to know the music better.

Don't write off Ciccolini.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mandryka

;D

Lewenthal's années were first released in 2019. There's BKs I and II. Bk II is extraordinary! Top tier. (Though I've not heard the sonata yet.)

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on February 17, 2024, 01:43:39 AM

Includes Années Bk 3. Judging from the Angelus, she's got ideas! She uses a very old Steinway - same sort of piano as Edwin Fischer used I think, sounds wonderful!

What is really special about this, apart from the sound of the piano, is the way she manages silences. It's on spotify. Mejoueva was a pupil of Vladimir Tropp, and I think I can hear something in common there - time to listen to Tropp again I think.

Mandryka

Very imaginative Bk 2 here from Yunchan Lim. I'm not sure I like it, but I am sure it deserves to be heard. He makes Penseroso sound like a Book 3 threnody.