The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread

(1/208) > >>

Harry:
Today I started with the first Organ box in the Landscapes series. MDG is running this series for a long time now, and great credit it is to them.
This one is from 1991, and coming from Mecklenburg.
Needless to say I acquired almost all their offerings, and this is the first one that has to undergo my scrutiny, lol.
What are your favourite recordings and recommendations, for I love the instrument dearly!

Cato:
What a coincidence, since I was just raving yesterday on the French Composers' Poll about the missing name of Louis Vierne and his six great Organ Symphonies.

C.M. Widor is also a good choice, not to mention Alexandre Guilmant: they all descend from the Franck school and know how to rattle the rose windows!

hautbois:
Durufle is a must! Though i adore Durufle's own recordings of his own works, i find that the organ benefits from digital sound a lot. There is a recording of Piet Kee playing various organ works in the Concertgebouw, and that is wonderful!

Howard

hautbois:

--- Quote from: James on January 08, 2008, 12:04:25 PM ---And the Helmut Walcha Organ Works DG boxed set (12 discs).

--- End quote ---
The complete Bach from Walcha is now available on a different label, 10 cds if memory serves me right, and ridiculously priced as well!

Howard

FideLeo:

--- Quote from: hautbois on January 08, 2008, 12:06:15 PM ---The complete Bach from Walcha is now available on a different label, 10 cds if memory serves me right, and ridiculously priced as well!

Howard

--- End quote ---

The 10 cd box contains mono recordings made in late 1940s-early 1950s.  The "original masters" version from Archiv itself certainly isn't ridiculously priced - you were probably looking at the  "documenta" version issued by Memoran (sp.?) which may or may not be an authorised reissue.

I will recommend the Francois Couperin Masses played by Pierre Bardon (Pierre Verany).  The historic (18th century) instrument at Saint-Maximin-en-Province is truly sensational - especially the crumhorn and bombarde stops whose combination simply sounds so French.   :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version