The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread

Started by Harry, January 08, 2008, 01:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

A really distinctive performance of Kuhnau's David and Goliath from Ullrich Boehme on this one, not least because of the contrasting organ timbres and wide dynamic range  - a performance which can't be unheard! The organ is at a place called Pfaffroda in Saxony, Europe is full of hidden organ gems!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Little organ, I can't find what it is, it sounds modern and attractive, not at all faceless. The performance is generally quite dancing, basic pulse in evidence. Often quite introspective in feeling too.

Anyway the pulse was too much for me, so I've rushed to take refuge in Rübsam.

Mandryka

The Radeker organ at Anloo sounds quite colourful and intimate, it would be interesting to hear it used for Renaissance music  - it reminds me a little of Huis organ at Kantens. Westerbrink is playing the usuals - Scheidemann, Scheidt and of course Tunder. Altogether my appreciation is growing tremendously by hearing his music "in context" and so so well played and recorded. Very glad to have these recordings.

Mandryka

A fabulous big 7 verse Es ist das Heil uns kommen her by Weckmann - colourful without being gaudily symphonic, lots of contrasts between the verses - from grand and powerful, at times luxurious, and at times  sweet and almost delicate. The overall impression is of a totally inhabited, involved, deeply felt performance. There's nothing rote about it, it's poetic. 

Peter Westerbrink can control the Groningen Schnitger,  and the engineers have recorded it pretty well - big bass included.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on August 14, 2023, 11:06:47 PM

The Radeker organ at Anloo sounds quite colourful and intimate, it would be interesting to hear it used for Renaissance music  - it reminds me a little of Huis organ at Kantens. Westerbrink is playing the usuals - Scheidemann, Scheidt and of course Tunder. Altogether my appreciation is growing tremendously by hearing his music "in context" and so so well played and recorded. Very glad to have these recordings.

. . . and really impressive sound and performance on the Noordbroek Schnitger on this CD. This may be my favourite Dutch organ.

Mandryka

For some reason, possibly not an interesting one, I'm getting a much greater sense of the variety Muffat's toccatas than I have done listening to other recordings. The counterpoint also seems more striking too. I'm also finding myself wanting to hear the whole thing, which is rare for me - I have a short attention span. I'd say this is a performance well worth a listen.

The organ is a biggie and it's very well recorded, tight low notes and lots of character.

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on August 29, 2023, 11:09:15 PM

For some reason, possibly not an interesting one, I'm getting a much greater sense of the variety Muffat's toccatas than I have done listening to other recordings. The counterpoint also seems more striking too. I'm also finding myself wanting to hear the whole thing, which is rare for me - I have a short attention span. I'd say this is a performance well worth a listen.

The organ is a biggie and it's very well recorded, tight low notes and lots of character.

Interesting, I found the playing to be reserved - maybe too much so - and the bigger of the two organs to also be on the faceless side. But again, I might fall in love after a few more listens :)

Here's a recording of the Apparatus, not recent at all (2004) but that I recently found that I liked a lot - Tobias Lindner at Irsee abbey https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kNjuo1Zw2pThMXyXR6mB4hFHIuSvklFWc

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on August 29, 2023, 11:09:15 PM

Who can say? I was just in the mood for Muffat yesterday I guess. I must have been because I didn't even notice there were two organs till you mentioned it!  He made me focus on the music not the instrument. It's a great great sequence of toccatas.

Kola  back on now. Still feel the same, still good. In a way it's not a good thing to post about this sort of thing, it is so subjective. 

Mandryka

Oh, squid- any other interesting organ discs released in 2023?

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on August 30, 2023, 11:13:40 PMOh, squid- any other interesting organ discs released in 2023?
How about this one? I like the van Soldt and Arauxo on here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lRkBZO7ZqUuB_YG6Y70dvGDGhTtwu10Nc

Arnaud De Pasquale plays organs in Oaxaca. New release, but barely anything informative online.

Mandryka

Yes excellent. I really like the anonymous dances. My favourite Latin American organ recording I think.

A couple more interesting ones - Ferruccio Bartolleti's Italianate Buxtehude (which I love unconditionally) , and Massimiliano Sanca's intriguing marmite - his studious and restrained Bach. There's also a new recording of Catalonian baroque music by Andres Céa - but I thought the music was a bit challenging on first listen, must revisit.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on September 03, 2023, 12:31:53 AMA couple more interesting ones - Ferruccio Bartolleti's Italianate Buxtehude (which I love unconditionally) , and Massimiliano Sanca's intriguing marmite - his studious and restrained Bach. There's also a new recording of Catalonian baroque music by Andres Céa - but I thought the music was a bit challenging on first listen, must revisit.

Bartoletti's Buxtehude is unknown to me - shall rectify this - but I did enjoy his Bach toccatas even if played on a modern Italian organ. As to Massimiliano Sanca's Bach I find the triosonatas unusual and exciting, whereas his other Bach is a bit too heavy going for me. Cea's Cabanilles was a bit underwhelming, but the Catalonian music CD may be interesting - if nothing else because of the music.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on September 03, 2023, 12:31:53 AMA couple more interesting ones - Ferruccio Bartolleti's Italianate Buxtehude (which I love unconditionally) , and Massimiliano Sanca's intriguing marmite - his studious and restrained Bach. There's also a new recording of Catalonian baroque music by Andres Céa - but I thought the music was a bit challenging on first listen, must revisit.
The Bartolleti Buxtehude is new to me too - but I haven't found it very interesting and the organ does not sound very convincing to me in this sort of music. I'm curious what you like about it!
Sanca's Bach I do like a lot.

Have you heard much of Manuel Tomadin's latest releases? He has a recording at Leens as well as a new Trio sonatas recording. Nice playing, even if not the most inspired, and on of course beautiful instruments.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_k7gGz3BLRmMuwBeCHJN5iTQwYbjzWaPzI
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nrdATHlB9CVV9IS5naPXnPCbgIlDoh84k

Mandryka

In the Bartolleti, I enjoyed the sound and the selection I think. I'm not normally a great Buxtehudeian so was in a way quite surprised by how positively I responded.

bioluminescentsquid

Hardly new news, but I very much enjoyed Pieter van Dijk and Krzysztof Urbaniak's reserved but still colorful Sweelinck at Alkmaar and Olkusz. Recordings sort of in the line of Glossa Sweelinck (which van Dijk and the Alkmaar organ are on), but the Olkusz organ is a real rarity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MSVFD2XKZw&list=OLAK5uy_mwJcLYKRBx1vXbydCFKV2sZdiqpKzsyzM&index=11

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on September 03, 2023, 12:31:53 AMand Massimiliano Sanca's intriguing marmite - his studious and restrained Bach.

Sanca reminds me of Piet Wiersma. But maybe a little more cautious/carefully thought out, and definitely without the advantage of the very charming organs in Groningen. But I am enjoying Sanca's recordings a lot.

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on September 10, 2023, 10:20:45 PMSanca reminds me of Piet Wiersma. But maybe a little more cautious/carefully thought out, and definitely without the advantage of the very charming organs in Groningen. But I am enjoying Sanca's recordings a lot.

I'm listening to v.3 of the 17th century music CDs now. What do you know about Adriano Banchieri? The Suonata Terza has caught my imagination!

WTF is a suonata!??

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on September 10, 2023, 10:15:00 PMHardly new news, but I very much enjoyed Pieter van Dijk and Krzysztof Urbaniak's reserved but still colorful Sweelinck at Alkmaar and Olkusz. Recordings sort of in the line of Glossa Sweelinck (which van Dijk and the Alkmaar organ are on), but the Olkusz organ is a real rarity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MSVFD2XKZw&list=OLAK5uy_mwJcLYKRBx1vXbydCFKV2sZdiqpKzsyzM&index=11

I haven't heard that one but I like Van Dijk's Glossa Sweelinck a lot. Serious but sweet. But then I like everyone's Sweelinck a lot!

It's ages since I last heard anything played by Urbaniak - will correct that soon. I have an entire recital at Olkusz, which I think you gave me.

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on September 10, 2023, 11:47:54 PMIt's ages since I last heard anything played by Urbaniak - will correct that soon. I have an entire recital at Olkusz, which I think you gave me.
I really like this recording by him. I think "serious but sweet" applies to his playing as well.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lvQKLfh_DkZuFsDE1Eme8mwppXcHMxcdI

Some nice stuff in here (not sure who is playing what) as well.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kgkxIbOInRX08iZmRsZxUGwPHmvY_XJvM

Mandryka

@bioluminescentsquid I listened to Urbaniak at Olkusz , the one with the Siefert and Merula. It's excellent. I really enjoyed the Andreas Neunhaber choral.  I  It sounds like a big powerful organ, but he lightens the sound of it with colours, and I think it sounds noble and beautiful.  I'd like to hear some Spanish baroque music on it. And I'd love to hear more Neunhaber!

I'm going to get out some other recordings of Polish organs soon - Jaroslav Tuma.

Now listening to Martin Rost on the Stralsund Stellwagen - for  reasons which will become obvious when you check the recording.