The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread

Started by Harry, January 08, 2008, 01:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on May 08, 2009, 12:29:53 AM
You seem to think, that mine is, but the share of organ works is far less.

I just cited some number as an example.  I have no idea about the size of your collection.  I imagine if you have 30 Bach Organ Works (at average of 15 CD's per set) sets and you have 15,000 CD's, your collection is still well balanced. 

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on May 08, 2009, 04:24:19 PM

I just cited some number as an example.  I have no idea about the size of your collection.  I imagine if you have 30 Bach Organ Works (at average of 15 CD's per set) sets and you have 15,000 CD's, your collection is still well balanced. 

The correct number is probably about 4000, and ca 20% Bach organ music.

But who decides whether a collection is well balanced or not? Romantic and modern music e.g. is as well as unrepresented in my collection.  Never-the-less the collection is well balanced as to my interests.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on May 08, 2009, 06:19:27 PM

But who decides whether a collection is well balanced or not? Romantic and modern music e.g. is as well as unrepresented in my collection.  Never-the-less the collection is well balanced as to my interests.

I am a mathematician by training.  As such, I view my 7000+ LP's/CD's/tapes in classical music from this standpoint, i.e. if my collection is balanced.  I am also an avid investor and pretty much follow the same philosophy in that area as well.

Bulldog

Quote from: premont on May 08, 2009, 06:19:27 PM

Never-the-less the collection is well balanced as to my interests.

Exactly.

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on May 08, 2009, 06:30:00 PM
I am a mathematician by training.  As such, I view my 7000+ LP's/CD's/tapes in classical music from this standpoint, i.e. if my collection is balanced. 

Right, but you're the one making the "balance" decision.  Another person might consider your collection skewed.  All I'm getting at is that balance of a record collection is very subjective except for my own collection which is a marvel of equilibrium. 8)

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on May 12, 2009, 04:00:45 PM
Right, but you're the one making the "balance" decision.  Another person might consider your collection skewed.  All I'm getting at is that balance of a record collection is very subjective except for my own collection which is a marvel of equilibrium. 8)

No way in hell my collection can be considered skewed by any fair-minded person since my collection starts with the Renaissance and ends with composers like Sibelius (the very late romantic).  There are 800+ CD's/LP's on piano works alone and a nice collection of operas ... 

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on May 12, 2009, 04:32:36 PM
No way in hell my collection can be considered skewed by any fair-minded person since my collection starts with the Renaissance and ends with composers like Sibelius (the very late romantic). 

Sounds like you don't have anything from the last 80 years or so - you're skewed. :D

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on May 12, 2009, 06:50:20 PM
Sounds like you don't have anything from the last 80 years or so - you're skewed. :D

Buddy, get that calculator out.  Sibelius lived till 1957 ...   ;D

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on May 12, 2009, 06:54:13 PM
Buddy, get that calculator out.  Sibelius lived till 1957 ...   ;D

Tell me about all the music he composed after the 1920's.  Sorry, but you have a "black hole" in your collection that will only deepen as time moves on.

Of course, I'm only teasing.  I have a bunch of black holes and feel fine about it.  My collection only goes back to 1500, and I have just a small amount of modern music (composers currently alive). 

snyprrr

Judging by all your arguing, MY collection is the most balanced, ha!!!

Anyhow, this was the ORGAN thread, right? $:)

I'm curious. I enjoy some of the slightly un-spectacular modern works, the mellower majors, such as Frank Martin's "Passacaglia." Any cds of nice, maybe slightly anonymous sounding, misterioso-type early to mid century organ works of this type? I have the Hindemith which I like a whole lot, but all my other organ cds have either flute, horn, or trumpet. Any major trombone+organ works? I know there's a bunch of cds with that combo. I do prefer the more meditative organ works...though nothing contemporary/new age-y.

And yes, I used to have most of the Hurford/Bach set. Probably had to sell at the time for $$$. Chorale preludes, yea!
I even went down the Messiaen/Bates road, but he seems to spectacular/langorous for me. What are his mellowest works here?

Bulldog

Quote from: snyprrr on May 16, 2009, 02:50:05 PM
Judging by all your arguing, MY collection is the most balanced, ha!!!

You've convinced me, so you win the recognition of having the most balanced classical music collection of all board members.  And little did you know, you have also been cited as the most emotionally balanced person on the board.  8)

With two awards in one day, I'm sure you're elated.  An acceptance speech would not be out of order. 

FideLeo

Black holes suck - organ pipes blow  ;D

currently listening:

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

springrite

In my collection of 3000 or so, organ is probably the least represented, in that I only have obligatorily collected 2 Bach organ CDs, one Franck, one Widor, one Liszt, two Messiaen, one modern compilation (Ligeti, etc.) and a few odd organ symphonies, none of which I listened to much if at all. Soon I will be listened to them with a bit more attention and see if I can get into them and maybe add to my collection.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

FideLeo

Organists are often not very insistent on HIP when it comes to instruments of choice, maybe because the programme at hand can be too mixed anyway.  Rene Saorgin records 16th and 17th century organ music (from all over Europe) on a 19th-century Piedmontese organ in a French church.  :D
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Marc

Radio archive of a Dutch broadcast corporation:

http://orgelconcerten.ncrv.nl/ncrv?nav=jlvbuCsHtGAkBbC

Yes, the language is Dutch, but on the right one can quite easily select:
- Organisten (organists)
- Orgels (organs)
- Componisten (composers).

Just give it a try, every week a new concert from the past is added to this interesting archive.
Right now I'm listening to Bach's Prelude & fugue in E minor BWV 548, played by Johan Beeftink, on the Schnitger organ of the Der Aa-kerk in Groningen, NL. What an amazing instrument this is! Still in repair though, hopefully there will be concerts again on this organ from appr. 2011 or 2012.

Opus106

Quote from: Marc on August 09, 2009, 01:05:41 AM

Yes, the language is Dutch, but on the right one can quite easily select:
- Organisten (organists)
- Orgels (organs)
- Componisten (composers).

Just give it a try, every week a new concert from the past is added to this interesting archive.
Right now I'm listening to Bach's Prelude & fugue in E minor BWV 548, played by Johan Beeftink, on the Schnitger organ of the Der Aa-kerk in Groningen, NL. What an amazing instrument this is! Still in repair though, hopefully there will be concerts again on this organ from appr. 2011 or 2012.

Thanks a lot! :)

[Frescobaldi - Canzona Quarta - de Rooij]
Regards,
Navneeth

premont

Quote from: Marc on August 09, 2009, 01:05:41 AM

Thanks for this link, Marc. Rodrigo de Sá sent it to me once, but it was lost in a harddisc breakdown.
Many interesting pieces and almost every Dutch organist of distinction represented.

Very interesting is also Helmut Walcha´s Bach pieces, especially his performance of his own arrangement for organ of the six-part Ricercare from Musikalisches Opfer, which he published in score at Peters, but never recorded. I once heard him play this piece at a recital in Copenhagen.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: springrite on May 31, 2009, 08:52:41 PM
In my collection of 3000 or so, organ is probably the least represented, in that I only have obligatorily collected 2 Bach organ CDs, one Franck, one Widor, one Liszt, two Messiaen, one modern compilation (Ligeti, etc.) and a few odd organ symphonies, none of which I listened to much if at all. Soon I will be listened to them with a bit more attention and see if I can get into them and maybe add to my collection.

Many classical music lovers just do not like organ music, plain and simple.

Que

Anyone familiar with organist Albert Bolliger and his recordings on the Sinus label, now at bargain prices at jpc? A series called "Historische Orgeln der Schweiz" seems tempting! :)

Q

premont

Quote from: Que on November 19, 2009, 10:57:56 PM
Anyone familiar with organist Albert Bolliger and his recordings on the Sinus label, now at bargain prices at jpc? A series called "Historische Orgeln der Schweiz" seems tempting! :)

Q

I own the two CDs, Bolliger has recorded in Denmark. I find him reliable and informed. Maybe not the most individual player, but as time goes by, I am beginning more and more to appreciate musicians without towering ego´s.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν