The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread

Started by Harry, January 08, 2008, 01:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on February 23, 2017, 07:49:03 AM
I think Krishna is a bit like Loge in the ring, a sort of uncontrollable and highly spontaneous life force. I think Prefontaine is particularly  flamboyant and wild sounding sometimes, more so that Bates. You can here an Italian side to Titelouze in Prefontaine.

Really? I know the Prefontaine set, but didn't bother listening to it after finding the Ad coenam rather indifferently trotted through. Bates takes a similar fast pace, but at least his heavier, reedier registrations give it a sense of grandeur and urgency.

There's something intensely religious in Bates' performance that just reminds me of the atmosphere of Ablitzer's Praetorius.

I'll have to revisit Prefontaine though - there's probably something that I didn't pick up on.

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on February 23, 2017, 04:17:46 PM
Really? I know the Prefontaine set, but didn't bother listening to it after finding the Ad coenam rather indifferently trotted through. Bates takes a similar fast pace, but at least his heavier, reedier registrations give it a sense of grandeur and urgency.

There's something intensely religious in Bates' performance that just reminds me of the atmosphere of Ablitzer's Praetorius.

I'll have to revisit Prefontaine though - there's probably something that I didn't pick up on.

Yes I'm very glad to have Prefontaine's Titelouze.

Another thing I really appreciate by him, maybe more than his Titelouze, is a sequence of fugues by D'Anglebert, in a recording of music from the Livre de Montreal. These fugues are very much like Roberday's fugues and caprices, maybe they're better, I don't know. I  think I hear the  influence of Frescobaldi in all these composers' organ music  - D'Anglebert, Roberday and even Titelouze.  It's a shame that Prefontaine hasn't recorded Roberday.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on February 24, 2017, 01:17:43 PM
Yes I'm very glad to have Prefontaine's Titelouze.

Another thing I really appreciate by him, maybe more than his Titelouze, is a sequence of fugues by D'Anglebert, in a recording of music from the Livre de Montreal. These fugues are very much like Roberday's fugues and caprices, maybe they're better, I don't know. I  think I hear the  influence of Frescobaldi in all these composers' organ music  - D'Anglebert, Roberday and even Titelouze.  It's a shame that Prefontaine hasn't recorded Roberday.

Just listened to the Fugues, which I am already quite familiar with. Quite nice!

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on February 24, 2017, 06:27:30 PM
Just listened to the Fugues, which I am already quite familiar with. Quite nice!

You mean the D'Anglebert fugues? Do you know any other recordings?

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on February 24, 2017, 09:57:25 PM
You mean the D'Anglebert fugues? Do you know any other recordings?

I don't think that I have any other recordings of the fugues with me, but I've heard the fugues before somewhere (a friend? I don't go to concerts in organ-barren California) and really liked them. Thought they were Roberday at first, though.

Mandryka

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on February 25, 2017, 05:42:42 AM
I bet their attribution is problematic.

Probably not. They were included in his Pièces de clavecin publication, after all.

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on February 25, 2017, 07:42:27 AM
Probably not. They were included in his Pièces de clavecin publication, after all.

Ah, I didn't know that.

Mandryka

Georg Friedrich Kauffmann wanted to be organist in Leipzig's Tomaskirche, but they gave the job to J S Bach instead. His music is attractive enough, easy to listen to, contrapuntally simple but not banal, harmonically unadventurous but far from dull, melodically catchy. I thought this was an entertaining recording  from Maurizio Conti, and I appreciated finding out more about what sort of music was being made in Leipzig in 1723.  The organ he uses, the Treutmann at Grauhof, is very nice indeed.

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on February 25, 2017, 10:39:05 PM

Georg Friedrich Kauffmann wanted to be organist in Leipzig's Tomaskirche, but they gave the job to J S Bach instead. His music is attractive enough, easy to listen to, contrapuntally simple but not banal, harmonically unadventurous but far from dull, melodically catchy. I thought this was an entertaining recording  from Maurizio Conti, and I appreciated finding out more about what sort of music was being made in Leipzig in 1723.  The organ he uses, the Treutmann at Grauhof, is very nice indeed.

Quite a fun recording, but didn't stand up to many listens for me.
I guess when it comes to chorale-based works, I'm more of a 17th century person - I'd rather listen to a 2nd-rate 17th century composer (e.g. Duben) than a 2nd-rate 18th century one.
I did, however, really enjoy his "German organ music" disc, and also his recent "Bach mirrored" - very lively playing!

XB-70 Valkyrie

And now for something completely different:

I have some of these on LP but want to complete my set. Aboot as far from HIP as you can get I suppose; still some unforgettable performances IMO.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

XB-70 Valkyrie

I just FLAC-ed this LP, hence my re-awakened interest in Dupré. A Cavaillé-Coll instrument is not a Bach organ, but the performances are magesterial, deeply felt, and serene.

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

bioluminescentsquid

I'm listening to an excellent broadcast by Deuschlandfunk of Sietze de Vries playing the beautiful Renaissance organ in Westerhusen. Listen to that tinkly mixture stop!
http://www.deutschlandfunk.de/krummhoerner-orgelfruehling-2016-alte-meister-neue.1988.de.html?dram:article_id=376757

bioluminescentsquid

Another "Guess the performer" for you guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMNO7VGcyt0

This is one of my favorite interpretations of Frescobaldi's Toccata Quarta, which is also one of my favorite Frescobaldi pieces.
But who's playing it? The title isn't helpful here (and I could care less if nothing is real and everything is an illusion). But at least we know it's played on the 1565 Graziadio Antegnati in Santa Barbara, Mantua.

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on March 06, 2017, 05:25:20 PM
Another "Guess the performer" for you guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMNO7VGcyt0

This is one of my favorite interpretations of Frescobaldi's Toccata Quarta, which is also one of my favorite Frescobaldi pieces.
But who's playing it? The title isn't helpful here (and I could care less if nothing is real and everything is an illusion). But at least we know it's played on the 1565 Graziadio Antegnati in Santa Barbara, Mantua.

Loreggian maybe.

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on March 06, 2017, 10:40:28 PM
Loreggian maybe.

By Loreggian, I'm assuming that you mean the Tactus Frescobaldi set. The piece on it is played by Vartolo, and it's not the one I'm looking for (no idea which organ it is).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK6seoB9i1A

I looked through the recordings available on Spotify and didn't find it (Unless, of course, I'm not looking).

Edit: Yep, I'm not looking. It's Loreggian, in the Brilliant Frescobaldi set. Thanks! Now tell me - is this set a worthwile investment?

Mandryka

https://www.youtube.com/v/dw2lfN_Knn4

Jonathan Giblin, Reincken An wasserflussen babylon, Taylor and Boody Cincinnati. The nice thing about this is that we see the manuscript Bach made under Boehm.

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on March 06, 2017, 11:24:12 PM

Edit: Yep, I'm not looking. It's Loreggian, in the Brilliant Frescobaldi set. Thanks! Now tell me - is this set a worthwile investment?

Well you can hear it all for yourself on spotify. I only know Bk 2. It's more sensual than Vartolo, who is my favourite probably. Not keen on Aymes in Bk 2. Loreggian has some very nice instruments.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I saw Bruhns have been discussed several times but not Lubeck.  I find his compositions quite penetrating while only few of his works have survived. I like the recordings below. The both are virtuoso performances though the Coudurier disc has a better recording sound.  Does anybody know about these organs?? Any opinions?