The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread

Started by Harry, January 08, 2008, 01:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on August 11, 2018, 12:09:14 PM
Your transfer of the Göttsche is really very successful. He is probably my favourite of the brightly lit ones, but there's something dusky about Pallaud which is interesting, and I like the tempos,  even if he hardly does justice to the counterpoint, and Pallaud's organ is characterful. Shame Göttsche didn't record all 12.

He did record all 12, and the transfer should include the 12 toccatas and the passacaglia. I shall investigate that to morrow.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

I have 1,3,8,11,12, the passacaglia and a chaconne, I'm listening to him play 11 now, it's outstanding. He's very good at the transitions.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on August 11, 2018, 12:20:34 PM
I have 1,3,8,11,12, the passacaglia and a chaconne, I'm listening to him play 11 now, it's outstanding. He's very good at the transitions.

That's the ones he recorded at Marmoutier. I shall upload the rest (recorded at Meissenheim) for you to morrow.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 11, 2018, 12:33:12 PM
That's the ones he recorded at Marmoutier. I shall upload the rest (recorded at Meissenheim) for you to morrow.

Fabulous, I just listened to Pallaud's 11 and I take back my positive comments made 10 minutes ago, after Göttsche Pallaud just sounds dull!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on August 11, 2018, 07:17:35 AM
It's a while since I've heard Kelemen, I like Hasselböck, I'd forgotten about Falcioni, he's not on Qobuz (but he is on Spotify). If you can find a link to Forni, that would be good. I also forgot Martin Gester.

I was mistaken on Forni: He played only one Muffat. But the selection appears to be interesting anyway.

P.s. I'm afraid, I am not familiar with Pasquini though.

Mandryka

I want to put together a list of recordings on Antegnati organs.

Here's what it says about them in An Organ Encyclopedia (Bush and Kassel)

QuoteThe most remarkable builder of the Antegnati family was Graziadio Antegnati (b. 1525: d. after 1590). son of Giovanni Batista. He built organs at S. Maria Maggiore. Bergamo (1564-66). S. Spirit*. Bergamo (1566-67). S. Barbara. Mantua (1565). Avila Cathedral (1573-1575), and the Crema Cathedral (1586). His only extant organ. however, is at S. Giuseppe. Brescia (1581).

Costanzo Antegnati (b. Brescia. 9 Dec 1549; d. Nov 1624), son of Graziadio, is the best-known member of the family. He collaborated with his father (from 1570) before taking a post as organist at Brescia Cathedral. a position he held until 1604. His organs include those at S. Giorgio. Bagolino (1590). the Madonna della Steceata, Parma (1593). S. Maria Maggiore, Bergamo (1593-94). and S. Giorgio Maggiore. Venice (1612). His fame rests primarily on his L'arte Organica  (Venice. 1608). a treatise containing a list of 144 organs built by the family, rules in tuning organs. harpsichords. and monochords (basically advocating meantone tempera-ment). and suggestions on organ registration. In addition to twelve ricercars (published as L'Antegnata (1608) together with L'arte Organica, Costanzo also composed a number of madrigals, masses, and motets. Costanzo's son Giovanni Francesco Antegnati (b. 1587). serves as an "interlocutor" in L'arte Organica.

The last organ-building member of the Antegnati family was Graziadio Antegnati (b. Brescia. 1609: d. 1656). In 1636 he was the conservatore of the organ at S. Marco, Venice: he later became organist at the Padua Cathedral (where he maintained the organ. 1644-45). He also worked on instruments at S. Giorgio Maggiore, Venice. and Brescia. S. Carlo. attributed (1636: 1/12: rest. Maccarinelli, 1958)

The specifications of the Antegnati organ were uniform in style: a single manual, a pull-down pedal, an open flue chorus (Principals 8'). a few Flutes of wider scale, and a single ripieno stop. incorporating an Ottava (4), Quintadecima (2), and, depending on the site of the instrument. Decitnanona (I -1/3). Vigesimaseconda (I'), Vigcsimascsta (2131, Vigcsimanona (1/2'), and Trigesimaterza (1/31. Antegnati avoided reed stops and (unlike other Italian builders) double ranks for the ripieno and the Principale.

Mandryka

This comment, taken from an essay by Jean Ferrard for Arnaud van der Cauter's first Peter Cornet CD, made me stop and think

QuoteSi l'on considère que les deux œuvres datées de Peeter CORNET nous renvoient à 1624 et 1625, elles s'inscrivent dans ce qu'on peut sans aucun doute qualifier de "lustre le plus riche de l'histoire de la musique d'orgue", puisqu'il voit la parution de pas moins de huit ouvrages imprimés de première grandeur:

1623: Hymnes de l'Eglise pour toucher sur l'orgue de Jehan TITELOUZE 1624: Tabulatura Nova de Samuel SCHEIDT
1624: Primo Libro di Capricci de Girolamo FRESCOBALDI
1624: Ricercar Tabulatura de Johann Ulrich STEIGLEDER
1626: Facultad Organica de Francisco CORREA DE ARAUXO
1626: Le Magnificat ou cantique de la Vierge pour toucher sur l'orgue de Jehan TITELOUZE
1627: Secondo Libro di Toccate de Girolamo FRESCOBALDI
1627: Tabulaturbuch darinnen das Vatter unser 40 mal variiert wird de Johann Ulrich STEIGLEDER

Mandryka

QuoteJohann Gottfried Walther
1 Ciacona sopra'l Canto Fermo O Jesu, du edle Gabe 5'23
Georg Böhm
2 Vater unser im Himmelreich 4'14
Johann Sebastian Bach
3 Adagio in d BWV 1001 3'59
4 Fuga in d BWV 539 5'26
5 Praeludium in A BWV 536 2'03
6 Fuga in A BWV 536 5'12
7 Ein fest Burg ist unser Gott BWV 720 3'50
8 Gute Nacht, o Wesen BWV 227 3'40
4'50 1'25
Sonate en trio n°6 BWV 530 14'49 11 Sonata VI – 1. Vivace 4'10
9 Præludium in G BWV 902 10 Fughetta in G BWV 902
12 Sonata VI – 2. Lento 6'56
13 Sonata VI – 3. Allegro 3'43
14 Præludium in C BWV 531 2'33
15 Fuga in C BWV 531 4'31

This is an Andréas Silberman organ at Sainte-Aurélie, Strasbourg, restored. Jérôme Mondesert writes in his notes

QuoteIl suffit de tirer le registre de la Montre de 8' et de jouer une sobre transcription du premier mouvement de la sonate BWV 1001 pour violon de Bach, pour être trans- porté dans un jardin sonore envoûtant dont la porte est entr'ouverte. Puisse l'auditeur s'y promener paisiblement.

The key words here are "sobre" and "paisiblement"  and this recording will, I think, interest people with sobre peaceful tastes and an interest in organology. It's not going to knock your socks off, but it's a pleasant way to pass an hour or so, and a very colourful organ.  With one reservation.

The reservation is as follows. The organ has a deep 16' pipe and Mondesert isn't afraid to use it, I don't think he makes a beautiful sound with it, especially in the Bohm  - or if he does it's not so specially well recorded here. 

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 18, 2018, 11:10:31 AM
The organ is equally tuned. Information here:

http://www.canongatekirk.org.uk/organ/

I acquired Owens' Pachelbel vol.1 (on another organ). Found him a bit earthbound and matter of fact (like so many Pachelbel interpreters - Payne, Christie e.g.). Pachelbel's music is obviously difficult to play in an engaged way, and I have not considered vol.2., but now I wonder if I should download it from Presto.

I like the sounds he makes come out of the organ in vol 2 more than vol 1, basically I'm glad to have found vol 2.

Harry

Its appropriate I think to post this forthcoming release with the music by Pachelbel.

Simone Stella/Pinchi-Skrabl-Organ Basilica San Giorgio fuori le mura, Ferrara, Italy

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mandryka

Cheers Harry, I'd forgotten about it, I'll hear it just as soon as it comes out.

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on November 02, 2018, 05:15:41 AM
Cheers Harry, I'd forgotten about it, I'll hear it just as soon as it comes out.

I know that organ quite well, been there, heard it live in a couple of visits, and liked it. I am curious how well it is recorded. High hopes on my side, for I dismissed the CPO recordings, they are simply no good.

Mandryka

Yes I listened to some things played on it by Adriano Falcioni. Lovely clear well balanced organ. It sounds like it's got some sort of circular temperament.

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on November 02, 2018, 05:08:07 AM
Its appropriate I think to post this forthcoming release with the music by Pachelbel.

Simone Stella/Pinchi-Skrabl-Organ Basilica San Giorgio fuori le mura, Ferrara, Italy

I had noticed it as well...  :)

Was excited at first, but am now not getting my hopes up too much.....

Performing Pachelbel's entire organ output on a single organ, doesn't seem ideal to begin with.
Add to that a newly built (2012/13) organ "in German Baroque style" by an Italian and a Slovenian builder.

I need to hear it first, before getting close to any degree of excitement....  8)

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on November 03, 2018, 01:28:28 AM
I had noticed it as well...  :)

Was excited at first, but am now not getting my hopes up too much.....

Performing Pachelbel's entire organ output on a single organ, doesn't seem ideal to begin with.
Add to that a newly built (2012/13) organ "in German Baroque style" by an Italian and a Slovenian builder.

I need to hear it first, before getting close to any degree of excitement....  8)

Q

I do not have so much trouble with one organ for a composer. Take for instance the CPO recordings. Different organs, but due to the way they are recorded  they all sounded as one miserable definition of Pachelbel's music. Plus the fact that the organists were in my view unsuitable.
I do not get my hopes up also, but by definition is has a better starting point. It is of no consequence or ackward that it is a new organ. If there is expertise and a thorough knowledge, and in this case there is, the outcome can be a successful one.
Italian influences are a good start and Slovenian organ builders were renowned throughout history, and therefore this merger did produce a beautiful sounding instrument, at least to my ears.
I may not be an expert as some on this forum, but during the live concertos I heard in this church, my impression was, that this organ sounds authentic, and has beautiful registrations. Thus my hopes are a bit higher. The only problem I fear, is how is it recorded. But I soon find out :)

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on November 03, 2018, 01:55:37 AM
I do not have so much trouble with one organ for a composer. Take for instance the CPO recordings. Different organs, but due to the way they are recorded  they all sounded as one miserable definition of Pachelbel's music. Plus the fact that the organists were in my view unsuitable.
I do not get my hopes up also, but by definition is has a better starting point. It is of no consequence or ackward that it is a new organ. If there is expertise and a thorough knowledge, and in this case there is, the outcome can be a successful one.
Italian influences are a good start and Slovenian organ builders were renowned throughout history, and therefore this merger did produce a beautiful sounding instrument, at least to my ears.
I may not be an expert as some on this forum, but during the live concertos I heard in this church, my impression was, that this organ sounds authentic, and has beautiful registrations. Thus my hopes are a bit higher. The only problem I fear, is how is it recorded. But I soon find out :)

The credentials of the Slovenian builder seem impeccable: http://www.skrabl.com/index.php?Itemid=54&id=54&lang=en&option=com_content&view=article

I agree that a newly built organ can sound as the real deal. 
My concern is that the result can often also sound rather generic...

But we will see, awaiting your report!  :)

Q

Mandryka

There are in fact a couple of things by Pachelbel already recorded by Stella, a chaconne on a CD called "Toccata and Fugue", and a choral prelude on a CD called "A Christmas Organ" I've heard both and my guess is both are on modern organs tuned equally or close.

Mandryka

https://youtube.com/v/EKF34fl9LeQ

Léon Berben, recital at the Van Straten-Organ, Orgelpark, Amsterdam Friday 14 October 2016, 01.13 p.m.   
00:17 Anonymus -Estampie   
03:33 Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina (1525-1594)  -Ricercata del Primo Tono   
06:12 Johann Jacob Froberger (1616-1667) -Canzona II   
10:35 Antonio de Cabezón (1510-1566) -Hosanna de la Missa de L'Homme armé   
14:57 Antonio de Cabezón -Benedictus de la Missa de L'Homme armé   
18:18 Adriaen Willaert (c. 1490-1562) -Ricercar   
22:55 Girolamo Frescobaldi (1583-1643) -Capriccio sopra la Spagnoletta   
30:33 Johann Jacob Froberger -Toccata V, da sonarsi alla levatione, FbWV 105   
36:05 Antonio de Cabezón -Canción glosada Un gay bergier   
40:12 Antonio de Cabezón -Romance Para quién crié yo cabellos   
45:25 Buxheimer Orgelbuch  -Adieu mes tres belle   
49:48 Buxheimer Orgelbuch -Portugaler

Tough, harsh  music making!

Elk

Mandryka, I played Mondésert's Bohm on both my main system and ear-phones cleanly and found the low bass, say, between low C and F above realistic if, perhaps, a bit plump, with much the same weight as I would hear in a church here, but not having heard the organ in Sainte-Aurélie, I have no idea how faithfully it is reproduced.

XB-70 Valkyrie

I am interested in finding recordings of small organs--positifs, portatives, continuo/chamber organs. I would appreciate any suggestions.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff