The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread

Started by Harry, January 08, 2008, 01:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on December 13, 2018, 01:18:15 AM
I forgot what may actually be the best, the five tracks played at Rysum on this recording by Harald Vogel, very beautiful organ and music and performance

Paumann : Redeuntes in mi
Schlick : Maria zart
Kotter : Kochersperger Spanieler
Hofhaimer : Ade mit Leid
Isaac : Innsbruck, ich muss dich lassen

It is included in this box:

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8034728--famous-organ-music-from-europe
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Harry

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 10, 2019, 06:27:26 AM
I ordered a copy of it from amazon in Germany -- there's also this (horrid revival harpsichord)

This was an Archiv 45 rpm with a suite by Buxtehude and a suite by Krieger. I recall it very clearly from my youth, when revival harpsichords were the golden standard and recordings of music like this were far between.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on February 10, 2019, 08:18:05 AM
I recall it very clearly from my youth,

You must have been an elephant in a former life.

(I haven't heard the Krieger yet -- but somehow the harpsichord made me think of Neumeyer's Sweelinck, so I've been enjoying that instead.)

Elk

For those of you with multiple subwoofers, I have been experimenting having 2 myself, after reading a research article: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/00da/51387c572cfd27c0256cb15e44e976a1a72e.pdf In it, there is the recommendation to place the 2 at mid points on opposite ends of the room. It works astonishingly well, making ALL recordings sound better because bass notes are even throughout the room. The results are even better if there are 4 subs at mid points, but my budget will never allow that. I urge you to try it if you can.

Mandryka

Which speakers and which subs?

I'm quite interested in trying a pair of small subs with my JR 149s.

Elk

Howard, I'm not really sure what to tell you about subs because I know nothing about your associated equipment, and I live in London. Ontario, Canada, and not London in the UK, so I have no idea what is available there. The JR 149s should be crossed over at 100 Hz. Hopefully, you have pre-out and main in your associated amp, and the subwoofers have a dedicated crossover and amp. Beyond that, you may have to trust your dealer to know what they are doing. Unfortunately, not many do. Please ask more questions.

Mandryka

https://www.youtube.com/v/9ZDLmIF1Elk
Fabulous performance of a fabulous piece of music by Henry Purcell here, played by Leonhardt. The Double Organ Voluntary. Are there any other recommendable performances on nice organs?

Mandryka

Quote from: Elk on April 08, 2019, 12:47:25 PM
Howard, I'm not really sure what to tell you about subs because I no nothing about your associated equipment, and I live in London. Ontario, Canada, and not London in the UK, so I have no idea what is available there. The JR 149s should be crossed over at 100 Hz. Hopefully, you have pre-out and main in your associated amp, and the subwoofers have a dedicated crossover and amp. Beyond that, you may have to trust your dealer to know what they are doing. Unfortunately, not many do. Please ask more questions.

I shall investigate some time soon and report back.

XB-70 Valkyrie

We will be going to France in June and I am searching for churches in Paris (and also St. Malo, Dinan, Carnac, Vannes) that will have organ recitals. We are also going to Chartes and Reims for day trips (will be going to St. Tattinger also in Reims).

I found this site, but if anyone has more info, I'd be interested.

https://www.organsparisn.vhhil.nl/index.htm
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Elk

This website may have been mentioned, and I missed it: https://www.organlive.com/home

I edited this to show the home page so that one can listen to what is currently being streamed. I open a second window so that I can go to the Now Playing page and update it as the selections change to know what is being played, by whom, and where.

Mandryka

This is a really fabulous organ recording, I just can't stop listening to it!

Nice little interview with Christophe Deslignes here, about his backgraound in Basel and the physical problems about playing little organs etc

http://www.apemutam.org/portail/christophedeslignes.pdf

Elk

I believe it was XB-70 Valkyrie who asked for recommendations of fine organ music, so here goes with a couple of pieces I don't think have been mentioned.
Of the 3 recordings I have of Reubke's Sonata on the 94th Psalm, 2 by Simon Preston and one by Jean Guillou, the one I return to most often is Preston's second on DGG. Both of his are satisfying, but the second is better recorded. The Guillou is fantastically recorded, but the performance is so idiosyncratic that it is difficult to listen to. The music is on the dark side, gabbing one by the gut emotionally from the opening notes.
The second piece I would recommend for many of the same reasons is Poulenc's Concerto for Organ, Strings, and Tympani, another tour de force. Of the many recordings I have heard, the one that hits the turntable is the EMI release of Maurice Duruflé and Georges Prêtre. The acoustic is nearly perfect, and the pacing and sound are tangibly real.
Of course, there is much French music from the 19th and 20th century. I wrote earlier about Franck. I have repeatedly tried to fancy Vierne and Widor to no avail despite my many recordings. However, I like Guilmant's sonatas, Duruflé's pieces, and the music of Messiaen. Latry's complete set of Messiaen is perhaps the safest current choice, but for the music up to 1976 or so, Louis Thiry's set can be had for considerably less and is very fine.

Mandryka

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on May 14, 2019, 12:43:19 PM
Nice film here on the Martini Schnitger with Juergen Ahrend

https://www.youtube.com/v/eml6w6-tsH4

Thank you for posting this film, I enjoyed it.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on May 14, 2019, 12:43:19 PM
Nice film here on the Martini Schnitger with Juergen Ahrend

https://www.youtube.com/v/eml6w6-tsH4

Ah, the Martini Rondeau - a most charming movie.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

There's a wonderful moment when he takes out a pipe that Schnitger himself had lovingly fashioned with his own hands, a pipe that Michael Praetorius had played,  and he just blows down it, clearly totally at ease with himself. It reminds me of a time when I found myself in a museum with a curator who was keen that I actually touch some incredibly rare Chinese porcelain to get a feel for the feel of it. So she placed a priceless C17 teapot on the table and told me to pick it up, so I did  . . . by the spout.

The look on her face, there was a suppressed scream as she realised the stupidity of what she'd done, and my own naivety about handling ancient objects.

No damage done, but never again.

Anyway I think I've found a way of making it to Groningen in September so with a bit of luck I'll hear the beast sing.

Elk

Lucky you, Mandryka. Enjoy!

(good news about the teapot)

bioluminescentsquid

Anyone heard this one? Seems promising, but no samples online. (MDG's frustrating thing of not having any of their music on spotify etc., and only occasionally itunes)