The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread

Started by Harry, January 08, 2008, 01:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Very pleased to have this one. Characterful organ well recorded, rare very early music played with brio and lots of variety so you can listen for a long time without feeling saturated,  short but scholarly essay on the process of turning the score into music. Apparently it was common to play these motet transcriptions  in services when there was no choir to sing them. Some are quite substantial. 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on August 10, 2019, 04:54:44 AM

Very pleased to have this one. Characterful organ well recorded, rare very early music played with brio and lots of variety so you can listen for a long time without feeling saturated,  short but scholarly essay on the process of turning the score into music. Apparently it was common to play these motet transcriptions  in services when there was no choir to sing them. Some are quite substantial.

I'm familiar with this one, but not the one you posted earlier by Reinhard Jaud. Where can I find it?
I think Reinhard Jaud also has some recordings on the Ebert organ in the NM Sweelinck set.

I remember that one of the main authorities on early keyboard (Willi Apel?) once described all old keyboard tablulatures to be "littered" with uninteresting intabulations. But I think we really should be paying much more attention to them, often times I find them to be more interesting than original compositons! (E.g. in the Jan z Lublin book, where it's probably 30% original and 70% intabulations)

bioluminescentsquid

I've been thinking of getting this one, just based on the meagre samples on CDbaby.

Gwendolyn Toth also has recordings at the early 16th-century Oosthuilzen and Krewerd organs, Schnitger at Noordbroek, some other ones that are quite wonderful. She also doesn't shy away from vocal intabulations.

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on August 10, 2019, 06:08:08 PM
I'm familiar with this one, but not the one you posted earlier by Reinhard Jaud. Where can I find it?
I think Reinhard Jaud also has some recordings on the Ebert organ in the NM Sweelinck set.

I remember that one of the main authorities on early keyboard (Willi Apel?) once described all old keyboard tablulatures to be "littered" with uninteresting intabulations. But I think we really should be paying much more attention to them, often times I find them to be more interesting than original compositons! (E.g. in the Jan z Lublin book, where it's probably 30% original and 70% intabulations)

Yes it was the Sweelinck which alerted me to him. I'll send you the orf disc later, it looks like it's become rareish. He has an  LP which hasn't been ever transferred, all on the Innsbruck Ebert - he must work there I suppose.

That comment about old tablatures sounds like the sort of thing Willi Apel would have written and in a sense it's true - I mean if you look from the point of view of harmony and counterpoint. But some of them are not uninteresting melodically and rhythmically - like troubadour sequences in that respect.

Mandryka

Quote from: bioluminescentsquid on August 10, 2019, 06:15:34 PM
I've been thinking of getting this one, just based on the meagre samples on CDbaby.

Gwendolyn Toth also has recordings at the early 16th-century Oosthuilzen and Krewerd organs, Schnitger at Noordbroek, some other ones that are quite wonderful. She also doesn't shy away from vocal intabulations.

They're on Spotify, and I remember enjoying the  Oosthuilzen and Krewerd CD. Part of the problem is the Spotify sound, I maybe should download it from CD baby, the CD itself is quite expensive. Have you heard her Scheidemann?. And more importantly have you heard Hans van Nieuwkoop at Oosthuizen, I like that one very much!

https://www.youtube.com/v/KVHGcgYTX5Q

This looks as though it could be interesting, but too steep for me

https://www.amazon.com/Hans-van-Nieuwkoop-live-Contrapunctus/dp/B000LH6XJ4

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: Mandryka on August 10, 2019, 09:29:10 PM
They're on Spotify, and I remember enjoying the  Oosthuilzen and Krewerd CD. Part of the problem is the Spotify sound, I maybe should download it from CD baby, the CD itself is quite expensive. Have you heard her Scheidemann?. And more importantly have you heard Hans van Nieuwkoop at Oosthuizen, I like that one very much!

https://www.youtube.com/v/KVHGcgYTX5Q

This looks as though it could be interesting, but too steep for me

https://www.amazon.com/Hans-van-Nieuwkoop-live-Contrapunctus/dp/B000LH6XJ4

I have only heard the recordings on Spotify (Noordbroek with a memorable BWV 544, and Omlandia Allegra or something like that - Zeerijp and Krewerd). But the other CDs seem even more promising.
It's a shame that CD baby is mp3 quality only for downloads.

I've heard both van Niewkoop recordings before, the Alkmaar recording via Organroxx - somehow, the Oosthuizen one sort of bored me. But the Weckmann magnificat on the Alkmaar recording is one of the best I've heard - played with so much urgency and fire. I'd like to find the disc too.

I would be interested in the Reinhard Jaud. I don't know if you've seen this video before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Paxp2weMy8

Mandryka

There's also this - it's available affordably in amazon.de but they won't ship out of Germany

Marc

Dunno if I posted this clip earlier, but here's a very easy to understand (for everyone) demonstration of an organ.
Sietze de Vries demonstrating, in his own relaxed way, the Schnitger et al organ of the Martinikerk, Groningen, NL.
Includes English subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/v/7mDf2JgQei0

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on August 12, 2019, 12:37:28 AM
There's also this - it's available affordably in amazon.de but they won't ship out of Germany

I've just ordered this, thanks to a kind friend in Germany. I like what I've heard of Erbach - Leonhardt recorded a piece as did Tachezi - so a whole CD of his music sounds like it could be a good thing - it'll be a good opportunity to  renew acquaintance with Hans Leo Hassler too, since according to wiki they were connected, I check what Abel has to say about Erbach later.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Brillian Classics issued a new cd of Lubeck (and other CDs) by Manuel Tomadin. The CD includes previously unknown pieces as well. Lubeck's compositions are very modern and progressive. The recording quality is very good and the sound of organ is great. I love the CD.

Complete Harpsichord & Organ Music https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CNC328P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ZhDBDbQ0V0XG2

Mandryka

And I've not been listening to Lubeck, but I have been enjoying the music of another composer who knew the Hamburg Schnitger, and this one's a real rarity, Johann Praetorius. As far as I know there's only one recording of his music, and it's on an organ which is really too late, and it's very far from being a particularly colourful one. Nevertheless I've found a lot to appreciate here, and Flamme presents the music with enormous clarity. The sense of invention and movement means that I never get bored. And while it's not sensual it has its own austere poetry.

What we have here is a collection of long choral preludes, and I'd have thought that anyone who enjoys The Leipzig Chorales or CU3 would enjoy this CD.

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on September 03, 2019, 02:10:28 AM
And I've not been listening to Lubeck, but I have been enjoying the music of another composer who knew the Hamburg Schnitger, and this one's a real rarity, Johann Praetorius. As far as I know there's only one recording of his music, and it's on an organ which is really too late, and it's very far from being a particularly colourful one. Nevertheless I've found a lot to appreciate here, and Flamme presents the music with enormous clarity. The sense of invention and movement means that I never get bored. And while it's not sensual it has its own austere poetry.

What we have here is a collection of long choral preludes, and I'd have thought that anyone who enjoys The Leipzig Chorales or CU3 would enjoy this CD.

Flamme is an organist, who doesn't appeal to me at all. In fact I dislike most of his recordings. I disagree with his style. And I am not the only one on this site who thinks so. But you are right, there are not many recordings around of Johann Praetorius.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Mandryka

Quote from: "Harry" on September 03, 2019, 02:17:21 AM
Flamme is an organist, who doesn't appeal to me at all. In fact I dislike most of his recordings. I disagree with his style. And I am not the only one on this site who thinks so. But you are right, there are not many recordings around of Johann Praetorius.

Exactly, I'm a glass half full person. And in fact in that one, while I'm sure there are other organists who could go deeper, and could find more poetry in the music, and probably there are better organs, he's not bad at all.

There could be a really fabulous recording dedicated to Johann Praetorius, I'm sure of it. Flamme's isn't it, but it's good enough to sense the potential of the music.

Cato

Thanks to Mandryka and Harry for the discussion above!

They have also reminded that I recently discovered this performance on YouTube of Julius Reubke's Sonata on Psalm 94:

https://www.youtube.com/v/b0MLJyMI-f0
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mandryka

I just want to make a post in honour of Franz Raml. His Scheidt Vol 2 and Pachelbel Vol 1 have been giving me so much pleasure recently. He's very serious, which suits me, but there's also a great sense of elan. The recordings are fabulously engineered, they give the impression of the space of the cathedrals very well, and that gives the music a sort of majesty, a grandeur.

Because of Raml and Rubsam I'm really starting to appreciate Pachelbel more.

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on September 05, 2019, 10:36:20 AM
I just want to make a post in honour of Franz Raml. His Scheidt Vol 2 and Pachelbel Vol 1 have been giving me so much pleasure recently. He's very serious, which suits me, but there's also a great sense of elan. The recordings are fabulously engineered, they give the impression of the space of the cathedrals very well, and that gives the music a sort of majesty, a grandeur.

Because of Raml and Rubsam I'm really starting to appreciate Pachelbel more.

Have both recordings, and I agree with your findings!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Elk

Quote from: Cato on September 03, 2019, 02:38:59 AM
Thanks to Mandryka and Harry for the discussion above!

They have also reminded that I recently discovered this performance on YouTube of Julius Reubke's Sonata on Psalm 94:

https://www.youtube.com/v/b0MLJyMI-f0

Thanks for the link. While not my favourite performance perhaps, it is one of my favourite organ pieces and wonderful to see it being performed.

Roasted Swan

A couple of recent acquisitions which are both of 'concert' organ repertoire - very different instruments and locations;

[asin]B00000E4XB[/asin]

perfect Carlo Curley fayre - flamboyant  and technically brilliant.  Just an enjoyable listen on a fine church instrument.

Then

[asin]B0007ZBDS6[/asin]

this was the first recording of the Albert Hall organ after its (relatively) recent major restoration.  I like the actual recording more than some reviewers.  Not as obviously overwhelming sonically as some recordings but still very impressive.  As indeed - of course - is the superb playing of Weir.  She paces Lizst's mighty Fantasia and Fugue on "Ad nos ad salutarem undam" wonderfully.  I don't listen to organ recitals all that often but enjoyed both of these a lot.....

Mandryka

According to france-orgue this is recorded on a recently restored c19 organ, at Francheville in Normandy, but don't let that put you off because I can assure you these Renaissance transcriptions, many published by Attaingnant, sound totally at home on the instrument. It's good to have another appealing keyboard rendition based on Attaingnant.

Juliette Grellety Bosviel has recorded a Froberger disc too, on a modern organ in the Paris suburbs, with things like lamentations and partitas, the sort of thing you expect to NOT to hear on an organ.

But somehow this attractive recording has caught my imagination more.

http://orgues-normandie.com/index.php?principal=fiche_orgue.php&id=208

https://actu.fr/normandie/francheville_27265/facteur-dorgue-francheville-on-dit-quil-faut-100-ans-apprendre-ce-metier_16670144.html

http://orgue.free.fr/of551.html

https://france-orgue.fr/disque/index.php?org=Juliette+Grellety+Bosviel&cmd=Rechercher&zpg=dsq.fra.rch&pfrom=root

SimonNZ

A novice question:

How would you describe that non-scholarly grand and intimate tone that Marie Claire Alain has on her Bach recordings? Is it the settings she chooses or the organs themselves? Are there any other players that favor a similar sound?