The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread

Started by Harry, January 08, 2008, 01:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Enjoyed Muffat Organ Works vols. 1 and 2 by Haselbock this weekend.  I like the albums by Kelemen and Falcioni as well, but these discs sound wonderful.

T. D.

Quote from: Mandryka on August 29, 2016, 02:47:13 AM
There is a  "great" organ recording with the Mendelssohn op 65 sonatas, it is magnificent. But it may not be possible to buy it any more. it is by Gerd Zacher and it includes the Brahms op 122 preludes, equally wonderful, bold and imaginative. The organ, by Karl Schuke in Essen, is magic, and the sound take puts you very convincingly in the body of the church, as it were. If you want I will let you have the files.

Gerd Zacher is a magnificent and creative organist, here, in Bach and in Schoenberg, Kagel and Ligeti.

Saw this message quoted, which [emphasis added] motivated me to pull an obscure recording off the shelf:

Zacher plays Rrrrrrr..." · 8 Orgelstücke

André Le Nôtre

Thanks for the recommendations. Lots to explore with the Frescobaldi.

milk

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on October 26, 2020, 07:10:34 AM
Enjoyed Muffat Organ Works vols. 1 and 2 by Haselbock this weekend.  I like the albums by Kelemen and Falcioni as well, but these discs sound wonderful.
Is that an historical organ?

bioluminescentsquid

Quote from: milk on November 16, 2020, 09:45:58 PM
Is that an historical organ?

This beauty over here for CD1, a large 17th century South German organ known for its plethora of reed stops in an otherwise reed-less region. CD2 is a later, 1721 organ by Egedacher in Stiftes Zwettl.

bioluminescentsquid

Gosh, judging from the audio samples this one will be a barnburner.

bioluminescentsquid

has anyone heard this? Japanese release from the 90's, looks out of print.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

milk

bioluminescentsquid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2sYEMLdTww
Rough-and-ready (but spirited, interesting, extrovert) playing of Bruhns big E minor praeludium, but the main highlight here is how the piece is taken as a programmatic piece about Orpheus in the underworld.

From the same organist, a modern double pedal full organ setting of Nun Komm in the style of BWV 686.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdK51bcezL4

VonStupp

Pierre Cochereau
L'Improvisateur Extraordinaire
Improvisations on La Marsellaise and Adeste Fidelis
Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral
Jeremy Filsell - organ

Filsell essentially transcribes Pierre Cochereau's organ improvisations from 50's-70's audio tapes (I assume from Notre Dame), and replicates them as best he can in Liverpool.

Having attended a number of Guild organ improvisation sessions, I find the whole process and experience fascinating, nonetheless through one of 20th Century's masters of organ improvisation. I can't imagine transcribing these, though; that is dedication!

I know there are many recordings of Cochereau himself playing, but I am not sure about these specific improvisations the transcriptions were based off of.
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Mandryka

Who can tell me about the Stellwagen Lübeck? What is it's temperament. These interpretations by Berben are distinctive, fast, that's the most I can say at the moment.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Retreated from Berben's Weckmann for meantone  ricercari, and that's more like what music should sound like!

André Le Nôtre

Unfortunately, there seems to be nothing new from Catalina Vicens for organ since Organic Creatures. Any news on her?

I am also looking for interesting recordings including the organ as an accompanying instrument--especially in works which would usually use a piano. (I am listening to two versions of the Vitali Chaconne lately; The virtuosity and expressiveness of the Gioconda de Vito recording make it my favorite overall, yet the use of organ as accompaniment in the Ricardo Odnoposoff recording is very enjoyable to hear.)

premont

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on July 17, 2021, 12:23:51 PM
Unfortunately, there seems to be nothing new from Catalina Vicens for organ since Organic Creatures. Any news on her?

Not that I know. But thanks for reminding me of the Organic Creatures, which I have to re-order, since my first order was cancelled for some unknown reason.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

André Le Nôtre

Yes, it's a fascinating recording. I could have just bought the MP3 download, but I held out for the actual CDs. I'm glad I did, even though they are much more expensive. They are not all that easy to find, but eBay has worked well for me for hunting down obscure recordings.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on August 06, 2021, 07:00:35 AM
The same company have also rereleased his Anthoni Van Noordt CD, which for some reason I'm finding myself enjoying more than the Sweelinck.

But not as much as Peter Ouwerkerk on Naxos, I'd forgotten, or I never knew, what a wonderful achievement these recordings are.

premont

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on July 17, 2021, 05:57:34 PM
Yes, it's a fascinating recording. I could have just bought the MP3 download, but I held out for the actual CDs. I'm glad I did, even though they are much more expensive. They are not all that easy to find, but eBay has worked well for me for hunting down obscure recordings.

I think the exquisite sound on these CDs cries out for lossless reproduction.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on August 06, 2021, 07:25:56 AM
But not as much as Peter Ouwerkerk on Naxos, I'd forgotten, or I never knew, what a wonderful achievement these recordings are.

I haven't heard van Doeselaar's van Noordt recording, but I share your enthusiasm for Ouwerkerk on Naxos as well as Naxos vol. 2 vith Cees van der Poel. These organists were unknown to me before these recordings. Holland is litterally crowded with excellent but unknown organists.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Selig

Quote from: Mandryka on August 06, 2021, 07:25:56 AM

Have you heard Bernard Winsemius play van Noordt's psalm 119? I thought that piece was a little sleepy on the Naxos disc (vol. 2), I like this more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M0hDlV_SFc

1791 Hess organ, Nieuwe kerk, Haarlem