The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread

Started by Harry, January 08, 2008, 01:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Today I started with the first Organ box in the Landscapes series. MDG is running this series for a long time now, and great credit it is to them.
This one is from 1991, and coming from Mecklenburg.
Needless to say I acquired almost all their offerings, and this is the first one that has to undergo my scrutiny, lol.
What are your favourite recordings and recommendations, for I love the instrument dearly!

Cato

What a coincidence, since I was just raving yesterday on the French Composers' Poll about the missing name of Louis Vierne and his six great Organ Symphonies.

C.M. Widor is also a good choice, not to mention Alexandre Guilmant: they all descend from the Franck school and know how to rattle the rose windows!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

hautbois

Durufle is a must! Though i adore Durufle's own recordings of his own works, i find that the organ benefits from digital sound a lot. There is a recording of Piet Kee playing various organ works in the Concertgebouw, and that is wonderful!

Howard

hautbois

Quote from: James on January 08, 2008, 11:04:25 AM
And the Helmut Walcha Organ Works DG boxed set (12 discs).
The complete Bach from Walcha is now available on a different label, 10 cds if memory serves me right, and ridiculously priced as well!

Howard

FideLeo

Quote from: hautbois on January 08, 2008, 11:06:15 AM
The complete Bach from Walcha is now available on a different label, 10 cds if memory serves me right, and ridiculously priced as well!

Howard

The 10 cd box contains mono recordings made in late 1940s-early 1950s.  The "original masters" version from Archiv itself certainly isn't ridiculously priced - you were probably looking at the  "documenta" version issued by Memoran (sp.?) which may or may not be an authorised reissue.

I will recommend the Francois Couperin Masses played by Pierre Bardon (Pierre Verany).  The historic (18th century) instrument at Saint-Maximin-en-Province is truly sensational - especially the crumhorn and bombarde stops whose combination simply sounds so French.   :D
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Harry

Organ Landscape Pomerania
Martin Rost Organ.
MDG. 3 cd's.
CD 1

Works by Buxtehude/Volckmar/Anonymus 1617/Fischer/Alberti/Anonymus 1650/Ritter/Schmugel/Wolff/CPE Bach/Hertel.

Organs played on: Stralsund/Griebenow/Wartin/Deyelsdorf/Zettemin/Rugenwalde/Gingst.

The second box in this MDG series, and every bit as exiting as the first. Not only many unknown composers, but also Organs of great renown, allthought not often used in recordings. Holger Schlegel, a topnotch engineer made fabulous registrations. I do not know who tuned all the instruments, but it is done to perfection. As are the performances by Martin Rost, this man is a giant amongst his peers.
I am really looking forward to all the boxes laying ready to be played.

Harry

Theophil Andreas Volckmar (1686-1768)  names to remember in organ composition.
Johan Fischer (1646-1716)
Johann Friedrich Alberti (1642-1710)
Christian Ritter (1645-1725)
Johann Cristoph Schmugel (1727-1798)
Christian Michael Wolff (1709-1789)
All unknowm works for me, and unknown composers.
This series is a real treasure trove my friends.

Harry

CPE Bach's piece "Aus der Tiefe rufe ich" is a masterwork, lasting only 5:07, but is a revelatory experience.....

bassio

For Bach,

Peter Hurford's playing is crystal-clear. (though with an eccentric BWV565 .. what a let down)

I also heard the complete recordings by Walcha. I do not know how they compare to others though.

The Goldberg variations on organ will feel weird for a pianist like me.

Any thoughts on Saint-Saens "Organ" Symphony and the Albinoni Adagio for organ and strings, Frank's?
Any other hidden masterpieces?

Harry

Organ Landscapes.
Pomerania.
Martin Rost, Organ.
CD 2.

Works by: Heinrich Scheidemann 1595-1663.
              Johann Martin Rubert 1615-1680.
              Dietrich Buxtehude 1637-1707.
              Christain Michael Wolff 1709-1789.
              Anton Ludwig Ernst Trutschel 1787-1869.
              Wilhelm Rudnick 1850-1927.
              Max Wagenknecht 1857-1922.
              Georg Scheel 1866-1945.
              Karl Kuhn 1851-1930.
              August Wilhelm Bach 1796-1869.

Organs:   Stolp (Slupsk)
              Saal.
              Gutzkow.
              Patzig.
              Belgard (Bialogard)
              Stolpmunde (Ustka)
              Kenz.

The second disc in this box wirh Organs from Pomerania, and every bit as successfull. Well recorded and perfectly tuned, a wide array of fine organ music is unfloding before your ears. The booklet contains all the stops and pictures of the organs in full color.

Morigan

I can't seem to find a satisfying recording of Pachelbel's magnificat fugues... (now, wouldn't it be easier if I just wanted his go***mn canon in D?)

Harry

Quote from: Morigan on January 11, 2008, 08:21:33 AM
I can't seem to find a satisfying recording of Pachelbel's magnificat fugues... (now, wouldn't it be easier if I just wanted his !!!!!!!!!! canon in D?)

We could do without the word, if you please my friend.... :)

Harry

Organ Landscape, "Pomerania".

Works from: Flugel/Zingel/Steinicke/Loewe/Grossmann/Sering/Voight/Wenzel/Wagner/ Sumnich/Hildebrandt/Wangemann/Hecht.

Organs from: Greifswald/Steglin/Stettin/Gristow/Koslin/Nehringen/Demmin.

Played by Martin Rost.

CD 3 from this fabulous box in this MDG series.
For me this has the highest marks. 

Harry

Organ Landscape Thuringia.

Works by Pachelbel/J.M. Bach/Walther/Heinrich Bach/JS Bach/JC Bach/JB Bach/Kellner/Krebs.

Played on the organs in Romhild/Ohrdruf/Klettbach/Neustadt/Orla/Kornhochheim/Eixleben/Altenburg,

Organs played by Michael Schonheit.

This starts with a fabulous piece by Pachelbel, the Praeludium in d, that amazed me no end, well written it is, very well written indeed, followed by Partita sopra by JM Bach, absolutely stunning in its conception. Imagine 3 discs full of such beauties, and you will understand my enthusiasm. It is a State of the Art recording, and is played by one of the greats in Germany Michael Schonheit, he does his name honour indeed.

Morigan

Great discovery Harry. I'm glad you enjoyed the Pachelbel. I think the time has come to resurrect his awesome work for the organ and to bury the canon. I'm alarmed by the lack of recordings for Mr. P. :(

Harry

Quote from: Morigan on January 21, 2008, 05:39:08 AM
Great discovery Harry. I'm glad you enjoyed the Pachelbel. I think the time has come to resurrect his awesome work for the organ and to bury the canon. I'm alarmed by the lack of recordings for Mr. P. :(

True, that is a omission in the recording repertoire. :)

Harry

Organ Landscape Thuringa.

Works by: JS Bach/Walther/Vogler/Krebs/Kittel/Rinck/Liszt.

Played on the Organs in: Altenburg/Zella Mehlis, Ortstell Zella/Dornburg/Ohrdruf/Denstedt.

Organs used: Trost/Rossdorf/Rommel/Gerhardt/Ratzmann Brothers/ Peternell

Played by Michael Schonheit.

As Premont said the work by JS Bach, BWV 538 played on the Trost organ is fabulous, but I pretty much enjoyed all what's on this second disc from this box Thuringa. The sound is not so good as on the first disc, but still very good.

Harry

Organ Landscape Thuringia.

Works by: Liszt/Brahms/Topfer/Reger/Keller/Seifert.

Organs from: Ronneburg/Koningsee/Erfurt/Ilmennau/Bad Salzungen.

Performed by Michael Schonheit.

Beautiful sound, played by a master on the organ. All finely tuned organs, with the added bonus of all composers.

Harry

Organ Landscape Transylvania. (Rumania)

Organs from Sibiu/Brasov/Cisnadioara/Somartin/Alba Julia/Cisnadie/Codlea/Medias/Agirbiciu/Seleus.

Played by: Ursula Philippi & Eckart Schlandt.

Works by Paul Richter/Johann Leopold Bella/Rudolf Lassel/Girolamo Diruta/Valentin Greff Bakfark/Daniel Croner/Samuel Marckfelner/Waldemar von Baussern/Ernst Irtel/Hand Peter Turk/Tudor Ciortea.

Another fabulous release from MDG, it which is really nothing wrong. Thumbs up.

Wanderer