The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread

Started by Harry, January 08, 2008, 01:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: Marc on May 05, 2009, 10:14:03 AM
Yes, too bad, I listen to his organ music with great pleasure.
I do recall that, after listening to the Helmut Winter recording and after reading Bruhns' biography (being a violin & organ virtuoso), for a moment I thought: well, could he be the composer of Bach's BWV 565? :)

But there is no dispute as to the exact nationality of Bruhns as compared with Buxtehude.  Bruhns was 100% Danish without a doubt ...

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on May 05, 2009, 10:17:19 AM
But there is no dispute as to the exact nationality of Bruhns as compared with Buxtehude.  Bruhns was 100% Danish without a doubt ...

I have doubts.  Bruhns was born and died in Germany.  He did have a post in Copenhagen, but I don't know its duration.

Coopmv

Just dug up this Chandos CD to play.  The Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland by Bruhns is quite nice.  The first movement and the last movement are each preceded by some lovely soprano singing.  It was this CD that first introduced me to the artistry of Nicholaus Bruhns.  This CD is OOP but is available as used on Amazon ranging in price from $53 to $120 ...

Unfortunately, the track information is not too sharp and I am too lazy to take my own picture of the CD jacket ...

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on May 05, 2009, 12:10:19 PM
Just dug up this Chandos CD to play.  The Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland by Bruhns is quite nice.  The first movement and the last movement are each preceded by some lovely soprano singing.  It was this CD that first introduced me to the artistry of Nicholaus Bruhns.  This CD is OOP but is available as used on Amazon ranging in price from $53 to $120 ...

I wonder why those Amazon crooks think they can sell the disc for such a ridiculous price.  Although I don't personally own it, I can listen to it all day long on the Naxos Music Library site.

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on May 05, 2009, 05:51:15 AM

Bruhns   Organ Works      Christensen (SACD)   ARSIS

Which Christensen?? Jens E Christensen??
Do you know a link to this recording?
Thanks in advance.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Que on February 24, 2008, 05:30:28 PM
I'm looking for a good recording of the organ music by Nicolaus Bruhns!
Any recommendations? :)

I own all these (and the P Kee) except the Foccroulle, which is on my wish-list.

Listened to day to the Bruhns / Ghielmi and was not impressed. Most of the playing sounds stiff and unengaged in these ears, and this Ahrend organ in Milano strikes me not as being the best suited medium for this music.
I can listen to the others in the run of the week.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on May 05, 2009, 01:52:37 PM
Which Christensen?? Jens E Christensen??
Do you know a link to this recording?
Thanks in advance.

Amazon does not have a photo ...

drogulus

This is from Resonance Records, a download from HDTracks:

Grison, Jules : Toccata for Organ in F major

Maurice Duruflé (1902 - 1986) : Scherzo for Organ, Op. 2

Guilmant, Felix Alexandre : Sonata for Organ no 5 in C minor, Op. 80
     Scherzo

Maurice Duruflé (1902 - 1986) : Méditation for Organ

Gabriel Pierné (1863 - 1937) : Pieces (3) for Organ, Op. 29
     no 3, Concert Scherzando

Samuel-Rousseau, Marcel : Scherzo for Organ

Jongen, Joseph : Scherzetto for Organ, Op. 108

Alain, Jehan-Ariste : Choral phrygien for Organ, AWV 76

Bonnet, Joseph : Pieces (12) for Organ, Op. 5
     no 3, Toccata

Guilmant, Felix Alexandre : Sonata for Organ no 8 in A major, Op. 91
     Scherzo

Alain, Jehan-Ariste : Choral dorien for Organ, AWV 75

Widor, Charles-Marie : Symphony for Organ no 5 in F minor, Op. 42 no 1
     5th movement, Toccata

Widor, Charles-Marie : Symphony for Organ no 4 in F major, Op. 13 no 4
     4th movement, Scherzo

D'Indy, Vincent : Prelude for Organ in B minor, Op. 66

Vierne, Louis : Pièces de fantaisie - Suite no 3, Op. 54
     2nd movement, Impromptu

Widor, Charles-Marie : Symphony for Organ no 8 in B flat major, Op. 42 no 4
     Finale

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Que

Quote from: premont on May 05, 2009, 02:03:34 PM
I own all these (and the P Kee) except the Foccroulle, which is on my wish-list.

Wow! :) Didn't expect anyone to have (almost) all of them, not even you!  :o   ;D

QuoteListened to day to the Bruhns / Ghielmi and was not impressed. Most of the playing sounds stiff and unengaged in these ears, and this Ahrend organ in Milano strikes me not as being the best suited medium for this music.

Now there is a slight surprise, just listened to his Bach/Brahms disc, with Bach played on the same organ, and kind of liked it! :)  But then Bach and Bruhms are different composers...

QuoteI can listen to the others in the run of the week.

Any impressions you could share wil be appreciated! :)

Q

Marc

Quote from: Bulldog on May 05, 2009, 12:04:46 PM
I have doubts.  Bruhns was born and died in Germany.  He did have a post in Copenhagen, but I don't know its duration.

He was German indeed, AFAIK. Born in Schleswig-Holstein, son of organist Paul Bruhns. Pupil of Buxtehude, who helped him to get the job at the Copenhagen Court. Buxtehude was Danish, but some scholars think he was (like Bruhns) born in Schleswig-Holstein (Oldesloe). Anyway, his roots may have been German, since there is a town near Hamburg called Buxtehude.

Quote from: premont on May 05, 2009, 02:03:34 PM

Please give us a list of baroque organ cd's you don't own. :D

Quote from: Que on May 05, 2009, 03:36:09 PM
Wow! :) Didn't expect anyone to have (almost) all of them, not even you!  :o   ;D

A shameful example of underestimation! ;D

premont

Quote from: Marc on May 05, 2009, 09:44:00 PM

Please give us a list of baroque organ cd's you don't own. :D

Well, I must say, that I am beginning to loose track of things. Actually I just realised that I do not - to my surprise - own the Bruhns / Flamme CD, but  I am going to acquire it with my next order together with his Tunder CDs from CPO.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Coopmv

Quote from: premont on May 06, 2009, 11:34:46 AM
Well, I must say, that I am beginning to loose track of things. Actually I just realised that I do not - to my surprise - own the Bruhns / Flamme CD, but  I am going to acquire it with my next order together with his Tunder CDs from CPO.

I bet I may have some obscure organ works CD's (not necessarily Bach) you do not have, even though I am no nut of organ recordings.  I currently have only 6 complete sets and have no intention of getting more than another set or two (one of them must be the third cycle by Marie-Claire Alain).  I think my Bach organ works collection is quite balanced considering that I have 1000+ LP's/CD's on various works of Bach ...

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on May 06, 2009, 05:13:46 PM
I bet I may have some obscure organ works CD's (not necessarily Bach) you do not have, even though I am no nut of organ recordings. 

Of course you have, and probably quite a lot.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on May 06, 2009, 05:13:46 PM
I think my Bach organ works collection is quite balanced considering that I have 1000+ LP's/CD's on various works of Bach ...

Of course.  Each of us thinks our collections are balanced based on our respective preferences.

Bulldog

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on May 07, 2009, 02:09:28 PM
Do you grow CDs in your backyard?

These are the CD's on organ works that came into my collection mainly in the late 80's and early 90's that generally have few or no works by Bach ...

North German Organ Music   Leonhardt/Organ   SONY
Early English Organ Music   Preston/Pinnock   Archive
Early English Organ Music, Vol. 1   Payne/Organ   NAXOS
Early English Organ Music, Vol. 2   Payne/Organ   NAXOS
Early French Organ Music, Vol. 2   Payne/Organ   NAXOS
Great European Organs No. 10   John/Organ   Priory
Two Mander Organs   Page/Organ   Priory
German Organ Music Vol 1   Payne/Organ   NAXOS
German Organ Music Vol 2   Payne/Organ   NAXOS
Du Mage, Bach, Franck & Widor   Brandstetter   Thorofon
Organ Music in France & S. Netherlands   Leonhardt/Organ   SONY
A Treasury of English Organ Music   Phillips/Organ   Impressions
Orgues D'lle-de-France/Volume 1   Alain/Escaich   Chamade
Orgues D'lle-de-France/Volume 2   Jansen/Bouvard   Chamade
Piet Kee at Weingarten   Kee/Organ   Chandos
The Arp Schnitger Organ   Leonhardt/Organ   SONY
Historic Organs of Austria   Leonhardt/Organ   SONY
The Organ Encyclopedia Vol 1   Payne/Organ   NAXOS
The Organ Encyclopedia Vol 2   Payne/Organ   NAXOS

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on May 07, 2009, 09:34:48 AM
Of course.  Each of us thinks our collections are balanced based on our respective preferences.

Not true.  A Bach collection which is made up of 80% of organ works cannot be considered balanced.

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on May 07, 2009, 05:00:27 PM
Not true.  A Bach collection which is made up of 80% of organ works cannot be considered balanced.

It can be considered balanced by the person owning the collection.  For example, 50% of the organ collection is on historical organs.

This is nuts - screw balance.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on May 07, 2009, 05:21:38 PM
It can be considered balanced by the person owning the collection.  For example, 50% of the organ collection is on historical organs.

This is nuts - screw balance.

This is new math ...   ;D

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on May 07, 2009, 05:00:27 PM

You seem to think, that mine is, but the share of organ works is far less.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν