The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread

Started by Harry, January 08, 2008, 01:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rinaldo

Cato

Many thanks for introducing us (or at least me) to Petr Eben!

I came across this performance on YouTube of the last half of Julius Reubke's incredible Sonata on the 94th Psalm.

Anna Schorr, apparently a student in Munich:

http://www.youtube.com/v/7DufAzljZ50

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

jlaurson

Anyone know which organ / church (?) this is?

First I vaguely thought "Alp D'Huez" (because of the natural light from above), but that's not it, of course...

Opus106

Quote from: jlaurson on November 25, 2011, 06:02:14 AM
Anyone know which organ / church (?) this is?

First I vaguely thought "Alp D'Huez" (because of the natural light from above), but that's not it, of course...

In the internetz, it goes by the name of the "Seven Story Slide at the St. Louis Museum" or something along those lines.
Regards,
Navneeth

jlaurson

Quote from: Opus106 on November 25, 2011, 06:29:42 AM
In the internetz, it goes by the name of the "Seven Story Slide at the St. Louis Museum" or something along those lines.

How did you findz it so quickly?

Opus106

Quote from: jlaurson on November 25, 2011, 07:21:24 AM
How did you findz it so quickly?

da googlz ma frnd <3
Regards,
Navneeth

jlaurson

Quote from: Opus106 on November 25, 2011, 07:24:14 AM
da googlz ma frnd <3

A googlz meself, but nuh findin' nottin. What search terms did you use?

Incidentally I'm a bit disappointed; I though the bit that turns out to be the staircase was part of the Wurlitzer, in some weird, strange, modern-yet-old crazy fashion.

Opus106

Quote from: jlaurson on November 25, 2011, 07:29:04 AM
A googlz meself, but nuh findin' nottin. What search terms did you use?

My input was your picture. :)

http://www.google.com/insidesearch/searchbyimage.html

Incidentally I'm a bit disappointed; I though the bit that turns out to be the staircase was part of the Wurlitzer, in some weird, strange, modern-yet-old crazy fashion.

My initial suspicion was photoshopping by someone with a weird sense of humour.
Regards,
Navneeth

Que

Organ music lovers! :)

After the (re)discovery of Georg Böhm's wonderful harpsichord repertoire (Mitzi Meyerson's set is still available at amazing bargain price HERE) I've decided to give his works for organ a try.

Any views on the recordings available?? :)

Just released is a twofer by Friedhelm Flamme. And then there are the two separate discs by Josef Sluys, which on sampling sound pretty good/competitive in comparison.

Then there is a re-releas of a single disc by Foccroulle:

And some dark horses: Mikkelsen on Kontrapunkt and a Naxos series that is presumably in progress?

Frankly, I'd wish Leon Berben had recorded it - based on his recent Bach recordings, I would snap that up just like that! :D

Q

Que

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on December 18, 2011, 01:01:23 AM
Organ music lovers! :)

After the (re)discovery of Georg Böhm's wonderful harpsichord repertoire [..] I've decided to give his works for organ a try.

Any views on the recordings available?? :)

Any opinions are welcome! :)

Q

Marc

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on December 24, 2011, 12:32:07 AM
Any opinions are welcome! :)

Relax bro.
Last month I switched to harpsichord, vocal and pop music, so .... ;)

Dunno all these issues, a.o. Mikkelsen. But he's very good in Bruhns, so I think you can't go wrong with him. His Böhm is on my (extremely long) wish-list.
The same goes for the Flamme twofer.

Foccroulle is, as always, more than reliable. Always convincing in registration, articulation and phrasing. He's my 'Herreweghe' on the organ. :) And what a magnificent organ this one in Alkmaar is!

The Naxos series is, I'm afraid, not really developing. But this single disc is (again) worthwhile having. Teeuwsen is playing the Reil-organ of the Bovenkerk in Kampen (so not the famous Hinsz), but this is a beautiful intrument, too.

The Sluys discs are very interesting indeed: magnificent organs!

These are my vague memories from about 2 months back (and earlier).
If they're still valid and trustworthy .... dunno.

Merry Christmas to all!

premont

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on December 18, 2011, 01:01:23 AM
]Any views on the recordings available?? :)

I am on my way through some of these, report after X-mas.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Marc on December 24, 2011, 12:57:03 AM
Relax bro.
...Mikkelsen. But he's very good in Bruhns, so I think you can't go wrong with him.

Do you own his Bruhns twoofer?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Dunno about a twofer.
One doesn't need a twofer to perform Bruhns' (survived) complete organ works. ;D

Or are you referring to a combined organ/harpsichord 2-cd set ....?

Anyway: I have this one (recommended!), thanks to the library, or maybe even thanks to some friend .... my memory fails me ;):

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Organ-Works-Sven-Ingvart-Mikkelsen/dp/B000025ZDH/

premont

Quote from: Marc on December 25, 2011, 12:14:28 PM
Dunno about a twofer.
One doesn't need a twofer to perform Bruhns' (survived) complete organ works. ;D

As far as I know, Bruhns left no harpsichord works. Sorry. I am confusing Bruhns´organ works with another prominent organ composers works on a twoofer played by the equally eminent Mikkelsen. I´ll let you know more in the foreseeable future.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Quote from: Marc on December 24, 2011, 12:57:03 AM
Relax bro.
Last month I switched to harpsichord, vocal and pop music, so .... ;)

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 25, 2011, 11:04:39 AM
I am on my way through some of these, report after X-mas.

Thank you both, gentlemen! :) :)

And the plot thickens with the recent release I discovered of Böhm's complete organ works by Stef Tuinstra, a name I am familiar with from the complete Sweelinck set.

Samples HERE. More info on the recording and possibility to order HERE (in Dutch). Tuinstra plays the big Arp-Schnitger organ of the St. Jacobikirche in Hamburg.

I listened to the samples of a few of the recordings mentioned. Tuinstra seems of the stately and well considered Old School, and I have my doubts of the "orchestral approach" he seeks on that big organ really works... Mikkelsen sounds nice, but definitely not the right organs for me. Josef Sluys (Arts Musici) on the other hand, plays very much the right organs which sound marvelous. I also like his style, though his tempi are still on the conservative side - but primarily his tempi, his registrations are very colourful. Friedhelm Flamme (CPO) ...an issue is that the samples on jpc are too damn short.... ::) The Creutzburg organ from Duderstadt sounds very nice, but is it the right choice for the repertoire? Perhaps our resident experts can tell us more. :) Another thing is that Flamme's playing, which is in full and modern HIP-style, sounds rather comfortable for music in the Stylus Phantasticus style. And if it is one thing I learned from the harpsichord works, Böhm music needs a daring, highly imaginative approach, befitting the style of the music. I haven't listened to Foccroulle yet.

Meanwhile I saw that premont has purchased the CPO-set by Friedhelm Flamme - I can't for your comments! :)

Q

jlaurson

Quote from: Cato on October 05, 2011, 05:23:26 PM
Many thanks for introducing us (or at least me) to Petr Eben!

I came across this performance on YouTube of the last half of Julius Reubke's incredible Sonata on the 94th Psalm.

Anna Schorr, apparently a student in Munich:

http://www.youtube.com/v/7DufAzljZ50

That was filmed during the first part of the finals of the Organ Competition at the ARD Music Competition...  The Reubke is one of Sir Simon Preston's favorite organ pieces.

Opus106

Quote from: jlaurson on December 30, 2011, 10:46:47 AM
That was filmed during the first part of the finals of the Organ Competition at the ARD Music Competition...  The Reubke is one of Sir Simon Preston's favorite organ pieces.

Thanks for bring back Cato's post -- I overlooked the video for some reason earlier, but now watched (the footwork, especially!) and listened to the piece (or at least 9 minutes of it). That was one wild fugue to finish it off!
Regards,
Navneeth

Jake

Hi all!

I'm a constant lurker but rarely post. It's a nasty habit I have...

Today, my posting couldn't be helped. A few weeks ago I received the three volumes which compose Naxos' recording of Das Buxheiner Orgelbuch and am quite taken. The liner notes and other sources around the internet hint that there are books of other, even earlier organ music out there. This excites me but I can't seem to find any recordings of them (Google hasn't helped much. Maybe I'm not using the right combination of words). Aside from Naxos' own early French, English and Iberian organ discs, do you guy know of any recordings of really, really early organ music? Curious is all. Thanks for the help!

Marc

Just a quick reaction:

Here's a nice disc I know, early organ music combined with compositions of Arvo Pärt, played by Lorenzo Ghielmi:

http://www.amazon.com/Tintinnabulum-Organ-Works-Arvo-Part/dp/B00005ASY6

Of course there's the famous Susanne van Soldt manuscript, but that's mainly 16th century stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susanne_van_Soldt_Manuscript

And maybe you can get hold of a copy (library?) of this collection, selected by E. Power Biggs. The names of the compositions published in this book might help you with your search on the net.

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Treasury-Of-Early-Organ-Music/1915718

Good luck!