The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread

Started by Harry, January 08, 2008, 01:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on November 19, 2015, 02:10:55 PM
I have an LP on the Telefunken label (probably mid-60s) with  Premier Livre d'Orgue, 1699, La Messe.

Michel Chapuis maybe. It sounds to me as though you've only heard the mass, not the hymns, so that may be something to think about. Do you want a recording which presents the music a bit like a church service, with some singing interspersed with the organ music?

Just this week saw the release of a new Grigny recording on the organ at Ste Croix in Bordeaux and at the northern church of St Michel en Thiérache , by Marina Tchebourkina. I've just started to listen to it, what I can say is that it's noble and serious and weighty and transparent and colourful and very well recorded.

Tchebournika has collaborated on a publication on Grigny which looks interesting, I may buy it

http://symetrie.com/fr/titres/l-orgue/293-nicolas-de-grigny-1672-1703

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on November 19, 2015, 08:51:17 PM
Michel Chapuis maybe. 

You may omit the "maybe".

Quote from: Mandryka
Just this week saw the release of a new Grigny recording on the organ at Ste Croix in Bordeaux and at the northern church of St Michel en Thiérache , by Marina Tchebourkina. I've just started to listen to it, what I can say is that it's noble and serious and weighty and transparent and colourful and very well recorded.

I can only find this available on mp3 download. Do you know if a CD exists?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on November 18, 2015, 10:54:02 PM
Can you recommend something shorter as an introduction?

The book contains 160 rather small pages, and note that the subject is very complicated.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on November 20, 2015, 03:28:45 AM
You may omit the "maybe".

I can only find this available on mp3 download. Do you know if a CD exists?

Not as far as I can see, they aren't selling a CD from their site at

http://www.natives.fr/

XB-70 Valkyrie

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into that CD/MP3 or whatever it is.

I have been listening to more and more pipe organ music as my musical tastes have evolved over the years; the instrument and its literature (even Bach alone!) seem to be a universe unto itself--much more so than any other instrument. It is a place of solace far removed from the innumerable horrors wrought by humanity.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Mandryka

This is a life enhancing anthology of rare recordings by top musicians on lovely organs playing fascinating music from the Arion label.

Having said that, I have absolutely no idea who is playing what, or on which instruments! I can find a track list, but it doesn't go any further than specify  the titles of the tracks. And as far as I can see there is no cd, so no booklet.

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/-lart-de-lorgue-vol1/3325480605406#

Added: found it, but is there a booklet?

http://www.grooves-inc.co.uk/brosse-langlais-darasse-beraza-the-art-die-orgel-vol-cornerstone-media-cd-album-pZZa1-1897437072.html

prémont

Voilà:

http://www.amazon.fr/LArt-lorgue-Vol-1-Compositeurs-divers/dp/B00005BIBK

For the content: Blow up the backside of the cover.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Fabulous Flemish organs beautifully recorded. Guillaume Van Belle (1686)/Nielles-les-Ardres and  Bremser (1646)/ Elzenveldkapel Antwerp. Both meantone. The recording is worth hearing for the organs alone IMO.

Fabulous organist. Makes very good use of dissonances, tasteful registrations, transitions sound natural and coherent, often colourful without being garish.

Fabulous music. I'd heard some of Peeter Cornet's music before on a recording by Koopman, but it didn't impress me half as much as this. A near contemporary of Titelouze, so we're approaching the fons et origo.

http://www.orguescattiaux.org/Liste%20des%20instruments/Nielles/Niellesl.html

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 14, 2016, 02:40:20 AM
Fabulous Flemish organs beautifully recorded. Guillaume Van Belle (1686)/Nielles-les-Ardres and  Bremser (1646)/ Elzenveldkapel Antwerp. Both meantone. The recording is worth hearing for the organs alone IMO.

Fabulous organist. Makes very good use of dissonances, tasteful registrations, transitions sound natural and coherent, often colourful without being garish.

Fabulous music. I'd heard some of Peeter Cornet's music before on a recording by Koopman, but it didn't impress me half as much as this. A near contemporary of Titelouze, so we're approaching the fons et origo.

I have also enjoyed this set very much for the reasons you mention.. A nice find that Cornet's music is so substantial.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

I would say that both these volumes represent a really interesting and for me revealing slant on Pachelbel. The music chosen is interesting for its counterpoint, the performances are  expressive, rarely flamboyant, never hectoring or brutal, always serious and he's not shy of using the organs' colours. And he uses a couple of lovely  old organs to boot. Payne sounds well at home with this idiom. I couldn't stop myself thinking of earlier music - Froberger and serious Scheidt - Bk 3!

The only piece I knew before was the Aria Sebaldina, and there I think that Payne is not as attractive to hear as (eg) Tüma on clavichord, just because he doesn't find the melancholy which I've been conditioned to expect in this music.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Just ordered this:

Should keep me busy for a while, and a hell of a bargain. I am still greatly enjoying her Bach 14 CD set I bought years ago.

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on February 14, 2016, 02:40:20 AM
[asin]B0021H5HEY[/asin]

http://www.orguescattiaux.org/Liste%20des%20instruments/Nielles/Niellesl.html

Thanks for posting that, looks very interesting..and I didn't know the composer. :)

Q

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 18, 2016, 09:20:24 AM

I would say that both these volumes represent a really interesting and for me revealing slant on Pachelbel. The music chosen is interesting for its counterpoint, the performances are  expressive, rarely flamboyant, never hectoring or brutal, always serious and he's not shy of using the organs' colours. And he uses a couple of lovely  old organs to boot. Payne sounds well at home with this idiom. I couldn't stop myself thinking of earlier music - Froberger and serious Scheidt - Bk 3!

I have taken this ad notam and am going to order these two CDs with my Next, soon to come Presto order.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

A  flamboyant Buxtehude recording on a flamboyant neo-baroque organ, Formentelli/Merano (1967). Leonardo Carrieri is a keyboard player to watch out for I think. And the recording is worth catching for the organ alone, especially for people like me who like  astringency.

XB-70 Valkyrie

I am looking for a complete box set of Reger's organ music. I have a few of them on Naxos, but would like a complete (or nearly complete) set.

Richard

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on March 05, 2016, 03:16:27 PM
I am looking for a complete box set of Reger's organ music. I have a few of them on Naxos, but would like a complete (or nearly complete) set.

You mentioned the Naxos series. I presume you've seen this:

[asin]B0145YQF14[/asin]

Both Reger and Fugatto are working on the series as well, but I don't think that either are complete.
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." — Berthold Auerbach

XB-70 Valkyrie

Thanks, I actually have seen it, and it looks really good (good reviews), but I am wondering whether there is any competition in complete sets. I could not really find any on Amazon.

Have you heard this set?

Richard

Like you I have only heard a few volumes. Naxos used a number of different organists through the series (12? I think). I recall the playing being good and the recording being very good.

The price is right. Still... nineteen hours of Reger's organ music. That would be a test of concentration.
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." — Berthold Auerbach

XB-70 Valkyrie

Any thoughts on this set?

prémont

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on March 12, 2016, 10:49:30 AM
Any thoughts on this set?

If you can get it for 15 Euro's as I did, it is worth the cost. Not all the content is equally interesting, but among other things there is a fine Bach CD by Andreas Liebig and a fine CD played on North German Baroque organs by Harald Vogel. And the Zipoli CD by Lorenzo Ghielmi is worth listening to. The rest is good and less interesting things mixed together. I on my part find, that Radulescu's Muffat CD is the weakest part of the set, not because of the music but the interpretation is dull.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν