The Organ, Master of them all - general organ thread

Started by Harry, January 08, 2008, 01:08:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: Mandryka on July 20, 2016, 06:19:19 AM
It's hard to order that CD because he doesn't respond to his emails and as far as I can see his website is the only source. Where did you get your copy from?
[...]

I bought it in the Martinikerk, in my hometown Groningen.

For another online possibility besides Dirksen's own website, maybe this link (again from the Groningen Orgelland website) might help:

http://www.groningenorgelland.nl/index.php?item=cd_s&action=page&group_id=10&page=3&lang=EN

Btw: their entire catalogue is yummy yummy... in my humble opinion, that is...

Mandryka

Quote from: Marc on July 20, 2016, 08:26:58 PM
I bought it in the Martinikerk, in my hometown Groningen.

For another online possibility besides Dirksen's own website, maybe this link (again from the Groningen Orgelland website) might help:

http://www.groningenorgelland.nl/index.php?item=cd_s&action=page&group_id=10&page=3&lang=EN

Btw: their entire catalogue is yummy yummy... in my humble opinion, that is...

Yes Groningen Organ Land (that sounds so cheesy in English) works. It didn't  come up when I typed Dirksen or Laar or Tunder in the search box, but if you scroll through the list it's there.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Marc on July 18, 2016, 11:27:36 PM
with a nice and delicate use of all kinds of beautiful 'Martini' stops.

He really makes the music dance, light and colourful. Very good while doing the washing up.

jlaurson

I suppose most of the organ aficionados here have already heard that on July 20th (exactly his 81st birthday and coincidentally exactly the day that my [scheduled] CD of the Week post of his Art of the Fugue went up) Andre Isoire died?!

Anyone have favorite non-Bach recordings of his?

Quote from: jlaurson on July 24, 2016, 02:47:13 AM
Latest on Forbes:

Classical CD Of The Week: André Isoir's Art Of The Fugue

Andre Isoire died the day this was posted. May he rest in peace; I think of him with warm gratitude; he has brought me many hours of listening-joy!

premont

Quote from: jlaurson on July 25, 2016, 10:13:38 AM
I suppose most of the organ aficionados here have already heard that on July 20th (exactly his 81st birthday and coincidentally exactly the day that my [scheduled] CD of the Week post of his Art of the Fugue went up) Andre Isoire died?!

Anyone have favorite non-Bach recordings of his?

Yes, this one - but it never made it to CD:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISOIR-DARASSE-TERRASSE-world-greatest-organ-france-vol-1-Box-Set-3-LP-VG/350912329747?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37429%26meid%3D4f06b5215f5046f4b378499d5782dee0%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D231266176417

Other than that I have never been much convinced by his non-Bach recordings.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 25, 2016, 11:01:15 AM
Yes, this one - but it never made it to CD:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISOIR-DARASSE-TERRASSE-world-greatest-organ-france-vol-1-Box-Set-3-LP-VG/350912329747?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37429%26meid%3D4f06b5215f5046f4b378499d5782dee0%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D231266176417

Other than that I have never been much convinced by his non-Bach recordings.

I have the Isoir contribution on this Caliope  CD, or at least I think it's the same

He recorded Guilain twice, and the second one is worth catching, not least for the organ (L-A Cliquot/Houdan)

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 25, 2016, 11:19:57 AM
I have the Isoir contribution on this Caliope  CD, or at least I think it's the same

I own both recordings (the Vox and the Calliope) and they are widely different in interpretation and recorded on two different organs. The Vox is by far the best. Caused by moving-mess I do not have the Vox at hand just now, but I shall send you the entire Vox LP as soon as I have settled myself in my new appartment (may take up to three weeks ).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 25, 2016, 11:19:57 AM
He recorded Guilain twice, and the second one is worth catching, not least for the organ (L-A Cliquot/Houdan)

Yes, I forgot that one. This is actually a non-Bach Isoir favorite of mine, and now I recall one more non-Bach favorite:

https://www.amazon.fr/Roberday-Fugues-Caprices-Pi%C3%A8ces-violes/dp/B0000634VN/ref=sr_1_14?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1469476277&sr=1-14&keywords=andre+isoir
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

XB-70 Valkyrie

You guys are going to make me go broke with all these recommendations.

Anyway, I would also be interested in recommendations for recordings (esp. complete sets) of Frescobaldi, Sweelinck, Siefert, Muffat, and Titelouze.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Mandryka

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on July 25, 2016, 12:28:50 PM

Anyway, I would also be interested in recommendations for recordings (esp. complete sets) of Frescobaldi, Sweelinck, Siefert, Muffat, and Titelouze.

For Titelouze it's easy 'cause there's only one complete organ music. Bates. It's pretty good, the music is not played in alternatim though.

For Feedcobaldi I cannot recommend a complete set with any confidence. If you fancy a really OTT flamboyant organ recording on an outstanding instrument tuned properly then treat yourself to the CD by Edoardo Bellotti. It's quite a thrilling ride.

My favourite Sweelinck is the NM set.

My favourite commercially available Muffat is probably Keleman.

Siefert I know nothing about.

jlaurson

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 25, 2016, 11:47:51 AM
I own both recordings (the Vox and the Calliope) and they are widely different in interpretation and recorded on two different organs. The Vox is by far the best. Caused by moving-mess I do not have the Vox at hand just now, but I shall send you the entire Vox LP as soon as I have settled myself in my new appartment (may take up to three weeks ).

Hmm... I know the guys in charge of the rights to either catalogue. I think the Calliope has all been re-issued already; time to stimulate the Vox gentleman into action.  ;)

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 26, 2016, 07:26:48 AM
For Titelouze it's easy 'cause there's only one complete organ music. Bates. It's pretty good, the music is not played in alternatim though.

For Feedcobaldi I cannot recommend a complete set with any confidence. If you fancy a really OTT flamboyant organ recording on an outstanding instrument tuned properly then treat yourself to the CD by Edoardo Bellotti. It's quite a thrilling ride.

My favourite Sweelinck is the NM set.

My favourite commercially available Muffat is probably Keleman.

Siefert I know nothing about.

My recommendations are very similar.

Complete Titelouze: Bates (Loft)

Complete Frescobaldi: Most available sets are hit or miss. The safest recommendation concerning the keyboard music is probably Lorreggian (Brilliant Classics).

Complete Sweelinck keyboard music, yes the NM set. Berben and Koopman are both hit or miss.
I own the Glossa set, but have not yet had the time to listen to it.

Concerning Georg Muffat I also tend to prefer Kelemen among the available recordings.
Actually my preferred recording is by Heinz-Markus Göttsche (DaCamera LP), since long OOP.

Complete Siefert: Only one existing recording:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Paul-Siefert-1586-1666-S%E4mtliche-Werke-f%FCr-Tasteninstrumete/hnum/6781657

Not immediately exciting, but serviceable at least.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

XB-70 Valkyrie

Thanks very much gentlemen! I will look into these.

jlaurson

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 26, 2016, 09:45:52 AM

Complete Sweelinck keyboard music, yes the NM set. Berben and Koopman are both hit or miss.

What's the "NM" set?

Que

Well, definitely yes to the NM set for Sweelinck. Berben is nice but perhaps more attuned to the Baroque idiom.
It's amazing that it is still available (again) at a reasonable price.
The Glossa set I don't know but has a similar line up of performers and might be worthwhile as well....

Also concur with the recommendation of Joseph Kelemen's Muffat set:

[asin]B000BDGBZY[/asin]

I agree that the Frescobaldi sets (Tactus or Brilliant) are not an unqualified succes, though I prefer the latter.
This is an unqualified succes however:

[asin]B000G7EXGO[/asin]
Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on July 26, 2016, 01:15:11 PM
Well, definitely yes to the NM set for Sweelinck. Berben is nice but perhaps more attuned to the Baroque idiom.
It's amazing that it is still available (again) at a reasonable price.
The Glossa set I don't know but has a similar line up of performers and might be worthwhile as well....

I have a friend who thinks that NM and Glossa embody radically different approaches to Sweelinck. The former rather reverential and heavy - an attempt to bring Sweelinck closer to Bach. And the latter much lighter and more lyrical and less baroque.

I have listened to some of the Glossa set but honestly, I don't hear these different ideologies. I really should listen again more closely. I have found NM consistently rewarding I think, and there are bits of it which were real joys to discover for me, like Asperen's contribution, which helped me to see how fabulously alive counterpoint could sound.

But then Winsemius's contribution for Glossa is also very special.

I don't know the other two - Berben and Koopman -- well enough to comment with any confidence at all.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: Que on July 26, 2016, 01:15:11 PM

Also concur with the recommendation of Joseph Kelemen's Muffat set:

[asin]B000BDGBZY[/asin]

Q

Just received this set and have been listening for the last few days. The organs--especially the Freundt organ at Klosterneuberg--are astounding. I don't think I've ever heard a more beautiful instrument. I have other (earlier) recordings of this instrument, but they did not make the impression this recording did. I will look for Kelemen's other recordings.

Mandryka

This CD by Klaus Eichhorn, which had been rare and hence expensive, is now streaming on spotify and elsewhere.  It shows a particular side of  Scheidt and Scheidemann: full of joy, freshness, innocence, simplicity. Music which seems rooted in gay song and happy dance.

Eichhorn is outstanding at judging  how to move the music on so that the ear is constantly titivated by new ideas - essential because quite frankly, the music as presented is so modest and unpretentious that if you were given the chance to think about it too much you'd be bored.  But you're not given the chance and so boredom ain't on the horizon. It's like you're in an Aladdin's cave of coulours, sounds and tunes: every moment there's a new earful of something delightful. I had to stop myself from clapping and dancing round the room as it was playing.

In truth, it's no surprise that Scheidemann and Scheidt have a happy clappy side, because so does Sweelinck (it includes Scheidt's Frantzösisch Liedgen, based in Est-ce Mars?) But I'm so used to thinking of things like the Magnificats that I was really astounded by this collection.  We're very far from the baroque, far from stylus fantasticus, in this recording.  More like the book of folk songs and country dances. No intimations of Buxtehude and Bach at all.

Cool organ too - just right for the style of play. Someone should record Bohm on this organ - in fact Eichhorn may be just the chap.

I remember someone here, Florestan maybe, once saying he couldn't bear early keyboard music because there's no good tunes. Well, this is the CD - or rather download - for him.