Complete Schubert Symphonies on Period Instruments

Started by PerfectWagnerite, January 11, 2008, 05:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 05, 2022, 05:05:42 AM
I never even saw that set! But I'm quite fond of those players,  I'll have to check it out.  This thread seems to be the place to discover how the band you like in everything else seems to suck in Schubert.  We'll see.  🤔

🤠😎

I'm afraid suck they do. I tried today their Great C major and I didn't like it. First, the recorded sound emphasises winds over strings in a bizarre way. Secondly, the playing is rather on the cold, inexpressive side and (especially in the Andante con moto) they have some strange articulations and accents. Perhaps not a complete dud but I doubt I'll ever listen to it again or indeed to the whole cycle. But I'm not a HIPster anyway, so YMMV, of course.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on September 05, 2022, 05:05:42 AMI never even saw that set! But I'm quite fond of those players,  I'll have to check it out.  This thread seems to be the place to discover how the band you like in everything else seems to suck in Schubert.  We'll see.  🤔

🤠😎

Something to that. I REALLY like that band. Their Mendelssohn, for example: Mhaaa! [Lip-smacking sound]

But their Schubert is simply good. So far I've not milked more from it, for my personal enjoyment.

FYI:

A Survey of Schubert Symphony Cycles