Author Topic: Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)  (Read 50184 times)

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
Re: Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #240 on: September 25, 2022, 06:53:33 AM »
Anyone listening to this composer lately? I just checked out his 1st symphony. I hate to dredge this up after reading a bit of vitriol on the previous two pages of the thread, but I was indeed reminded of Elgar in places :laugh:

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #241 on: September 25, 2022, 09:41:19 PM »
Anyone listening to this composer lately? I just checked out his 1st symphony. I hate to dredge this up after reading a bit of vitriol on the previous two pages of the thread, but I was indeed reminded of Elgar in places :laugh:
Yes, I think highly of his music. My favourites are symphonies 2,3 'West Coast Pictures',5 'Funebre' and 8 which has a beautiful slow movement.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #242 on: September 26, 2022, 05:18:01 AM »
Yes, I think highly of his music. My favourites are symphonies 2,3 'West Coast Pictures',5 'Funebre' and 8 which has a beautiful slow movement.

Agree with your list - also add the concerti and Suite No. 3 for Violin, Viola, and strings is a favorite.  Really all the symphonies are fine (maybe No. 9 excepted but I haven't heard it in a while) but Jeffrey's list are highlights. 

Offline Spotted Horses

• Veteran member
  • Formerly Baron Scarpia and Parsifal
« Reply #243 on: September 26, 2022, 06:18:53 AM »

My memory of the music (having listened years ago) is that it is not "groundbreaking" but that it reflects wonderful melodic and harmonic invention, and skillful use of the orchestra (orchestration). Perhaps the music could remind someone of early Sibelius, or less neurotic Brahms.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #244 on: September 26, 2022, 06:58:19 AM »
My memory of the music (having listened years ago) is that it is not "groundbreaking" but that it reflects wonderful melodic and harmonic invention, and skillful use of the orchestra (orchestration). Perhaps the music could remind someone of early Sibelius, or less neurotic Brahms.
Love the 'neurotic Brahms' comment!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Spotted Horses

• Veteran member
  • Formerly Baron Scarpia and Parsifal
« Reply #245 on: September 26, 2022, 08:29:22 AM »
Love the 'neurotic Brahms' comment!

Mind you, Brahms is my favorite composer. :)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #246 on: September 26, 2022, 11:57:30 AM »
(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot