Bruckner's Abbey

Started by Lilas Pastia, April 06, 2007, 07:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry, Que (+ 1 Hidden) and 32 Guests are viewing this topic.

LKB

Quote from: Spotted Horses on February 18, 2024, 06:54:35 AMIn my case the practical limit is about 15-30 minutes per day, depending on how far below five hours of sleep I am willing to go.

That's about what I spend, actually listening.

By engaging the stereo between my ears, hours of musical enjoyment are mine, every day.  ;)
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

DavidW

Quote from: Que on February 18, 2024, 12:45:59 AMWhat's the word on this 7th?
Interestingly this is not late Haitink (appropriately reflected by the picture) - the recording is made up from two live recordings in 1981.

Pretty good but the standouts for me on that label are still the 5th and 6th (which are also much later).  I still desire to listen to his studio efforts in Bruckner.

I always find it odd when the record label uses a picture of the conductor as an old man when the performance dates from when he was younger.  Classic example is Bernstein sony/columbia Mahler.  He was middle aged when he recorded that first cycle, but the picture of the cover is DG era Bernstein.

DavidW

Quote from: LKB on February 18, 2024, 06:47:05 AMNo luck thus far in locating that specific recording...

You don't stream?

DavidW

Quote from: LKB on February 18, 2024, 07:05:24 AMThat's about what I spend, actually listening.

By engaging the stereo between my ears, hours of musical enjoyment are mine, every day.  ;)

I like to spend an hour in the morning just listening on my stereo while I have my morning coffee and breakfast.  Anywhere from 1-3 times a week I will also dedicate time in the evening to just listening.

My time at work I'm not counting because I really have it on while I do grading or prep work.

Cato

For Lent: Bruckner's motet Vexilla Regis

Text by Venantius Fortunatus :

VEXILLA Regis prodeunt;
fulget Crucis mysterium,
qua vita mortem pertulit,
et morte vitam protulit.

(The banners of the King fly,
now shines the Cross's mystery:
upon it Life did death endure,
and yet by death is Life secure.)

O Crux ave, spes unica,
hoc Passionis tempore!
piis adauge gratiam,
reisque dele crimina.

(Hail Cross, of hopes the most sublime!
Now, in the mournful Passion time;
grant to the just increase of grace,
and every sinner's crimes erase. )

Te, fons salutis Trinitas,
collaudet omnis spiritus:
quibus Crucis victoriam
largiris, adde praemium.

(Blest Trinity, salvation's spring
may every soul Thy praises sing;
to those Thou grantest conquest by
the Holy Cross, rewards supply. Amen. )
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

brewski

On Friday, March 1 at 2:00 pm (EST), Manfred Honeck and the NDR Elbphilharmonie Orchester will livestream Bruckner's Ninth. I have loved Honeck's Bruckner recordings with the Pittsburgh Symphony, and the Elbphilharmonie hall in Hamburg is just gorgeous.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Cato

Professor John Phillips of the quartet of musicologists, who worked on the reconstruction of the Ninth Symphony's Finale with the aid of a few new discoveries, has recently done his own revision of their work.

It has been performed by a student/professor orchestra in Germany, and is set to be performed by professional orchestras this year, one of them being in Tokyo with Eliahu Inbal conducting, who obviously thinks the revision is worthy of his time!

On YouTube, Professor Phillips offered a digital version of the score to anyone interested.

I have always been interested in this: I had a friend in the 1970's who was able to photocopy Alfred Orel's compilation of the surviving sketches (known at the time, i.e. 1934) for me.  8)

So, I sent a note to Professor Phillips and - to prove that I had some musical competence and that I was not wasting his time - included a copy of the manuscript of my cantata for 9 voices Exaudi me.

Here is part of his reply:

"I finally am able to send you a copy of the revised score (with latest revisions for Tokyo)...

I'd very much value your insights, especially considering the very interesting choral work you were kind enough to send me - Wow!"

I was more than astonished by the last comments!  :o    8)

I truly expected my cantata to be ignored or just given a simple thank-you!

I doubt that I will have any "insights," but will do my best to peruse the score carefully.  😇

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: Cato on March 01, 2024, 09:15:40 AMProfessor John Phillips of the quartet of musicologists, who worked on the reconstruction of the Ninth Symphony's Finale with the aid of a few new discoveries, has recently done his own revision of their work.

It has been performed by a student/professor orchestra in Germany, and is set to be performed by professional orchestras this year, one of them being in Tokyo with Eliahu Inbal conducting, who obviously thinks the revision is worthy of his time!

I had no idea Inbal was still alive!  ;D
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

LKB

Quote from: DavidW on February 18, 2024, 08:55:16 AMYou don't stream?

Nope. I've yet to encounter any type of online file delivery which offers comparable sound quality to physical media. I only pay for CDs or SACDs, and then rip them to lossless files.

DavidW

Quote from: LKB on March 02, 2024, 07:37:15 AMNope. I've yet to encounter any type of online file delivery which offers comparable sound quality to physical media. I only pay for CDs or SACDs, and then rip them to lossless files.

Ah you do it just like Mirror Image!  Rip and listen.  I also saw some posters on either Steve Hoffman forum or Reddit say that they were burned too often by different masters or sneaky mp3s re-encoded as flac to buy digital downloads.  They only have confidence in ripping the cds themselves.

lordlance

Quote from: LKB on March 02, 2024, 07:37:15 AMNope. I've yet to encounter any type of online file delivery which offers comparable sound quality to physical media. I only pay for CDs or SACDs, and then rip them to lossless files.
TIDAL? Apple Lossless? Deezer has lossless too. 
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

Atriod

Quote from: DavidW on March 02, 2024, 08:57:59 AMAh you do it just like Mirror Image!  Rip and listen.  I also saw some posters on either Steve Hoffman forum or Reddit say that they were burned too often by different masters or sneaky mp3s re-encoded as flac to buy digital downloads.  They only have confidence in ripping the cds themselves.

I have an extremely easy time hearing the Tidal watermark which others on an audiophile board said they couldn't hear.

https://www.mattmontag.com/music/universals-audible-watermark
https://www.mattmontag.com/music/an-update-on-umg-watermarks

Was just reading a thread on TalkClassical where people were praising the sound of Ebene Quartet's dynamically compressed Beethoven cycle on CD. It takes all kinds.

Cato

The Symphony #4, especially the Finale and how it was S L O W L Y conducted by
S. Celibidache, was under discussion at a Bruckner website:

The Finale of the Fourth is, together with the slow movement of the Sixth with the same forces, the highlight of the recordings of 3-9 with the Munich Phil. For some it is out of court because of the astonishingly slow tempo, but while I believe that is true for many movements among the 7 symphonies in the Warner box, the Finale of the 4th, while 'wrong' according to some, works, and must be heard to get any sense of just how effective it is. It is amazing.

For me his Finale does not work because the distended treatment transforms the work into something else ie the Finale becomes self-conscious. But I won't say it is wrong.

What an amazing experience this is, most especially the final movement, which is absolutely exceptional, transcending all other recordings I know

Any opinions here?

LKB

Celibidache's Fourth work's for me, despite the tempos. The tension in the final coda is perfectly paced, and I'm glad to have his version available if only as a change of pace from Böhm's, my usual preference.