Mozart

Started by facehugger, April 06, 2007, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on March 25, 2024, 06:40:32 AMI have the big box,
No kidding, the post before you references the biggest box I own... the Mozart Edition at 170 cds!!
That one that came out about three decades ago (if I'm recalling correctly) on Philips?!  :o

I have one of those (an opera set) given to me by a friend some years ago.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 25, 2024, 07:27:58 AMThat one that came out about three decades ago (if I'm recalling correctly) on Philips?!  :o

I have one of those (an opera set) given to me by a friend some years ago.

PD

No the Brilliant Classics set which is much cheaper!  The only part of the complete Philips set I ever had was the Quartetto Italiano's Mozart SQs.

calyptorhynchus

I've just noticed an odd thing: I have the Bart van Oort's Mozart complete keyboard works on fortepiano. However, although this set seems to include everything else (including the piano 4 hand sonatas K358 and 521), it doesn't include the piano 4 hand sonatas K 381, 497.

Why would he have left these two out?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

SonicMan46

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on April 01, 2024, 07:07:53 PMI've just noticed an odd thing: I have the Bart van Oort's Mozart complete keyboard works on fortepiano. However, although this set seems to include everything else (including the piano 4 hand sonatas K358 and 521), it doesn't include the piano 4 hand sonatas K 381, 497.

Why would he have left these two out?
Well, looking at the disc listings on the Brilliant website, the two works mentioned above are on disc 12 (see pic below) - Dave

calyptorhynchus

Well, this is what this forum is for, if you're too addled by age to see what's in front of you, you can ask someone else to help you out!

Yes, I just had a look in the box and Disc 12 does indeed include those works. The only thing I can say in my defence is that CD 14 is titled Keyboard Works 4-hands and Two Pianos and CD13 is titled Keyboard Works 4-hand Vol II, so somehow I concluded they were the only 4 hand discs in the set.

Anyway, thanks  ::)
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

lordlance

There's something so joyous about PC17. I just heard the Bychkov/Pressler performance: https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/concert/16878

Brightens your day, no?

Having said that it's a bit disappointing how interpretively limited the Mozart PCs are. There's really not much there unlike with your juicy Romantic concertos. It's a bit interpreter-proof which for me makes listening to them kind of pointless because I listen to the warhorses always eager to hear a new interpretation. When the works come off well so easily regardless of who's playing them, listening to them becomes a bit bland admittedly (as great as the music is no doubt.) 

Of course, I am no piano guy so perhaps piano folks can endlessly dissect phrasing whereas the orchestral parts all just need to be played as-is.
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

DavidW

A couple days ago I listened to this album:

And I really appreciated how much more intense and dramatic the 20th becomes in a driven, PI performance.  This isn't polite music at tea time.  This is storming the heavens!  I loved it. 8)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on Today at 06:25:04 AMA couple days ago I listened to this album:

And I really appreciated how much more intense and dramatic the 20th becomes in a driven, PI performance.  This isn't polite music at tea time.  This is storming the heavens!  I loved it. 8)
Well, your review intrigued me, so I found this (which I'll listen to whilst eating my breakfast).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mandryka

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/45/000167154.pdf

Lovely 595, thanks for pointing the CD out, the booklet essay by John Irving is not without interest, I may investigate his books.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

San Antone

Quote from: DavidW on Today at 06:25:04 AMA couple days ago I listened to this album:

I like that set, as well those by Bilson, Immerseel, Levin, and Sofronitsky.  About all I listen to for Mozart and Haydn are PI recordings.

Pohjolas Daughter

I'm enjoying the performance.  It's apparently with Charles Hazlewood and the Mozart Collective.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

I haven't listen to that particular recording, but I've immensely enjoyed what I've listen to in that set.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington