Mosolov

Started by Sean, July 08, 2009, 09:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on January 04, 2022, 12:22:03 AM
Count me as a fan as well. I like the new Naxos CD featuring the Harp Concerto and Symphony No.5.

Good to know, Jeffrey! There are some other fine recordings of his music, although we do need the other symphonies recorded, hopefully!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: ultralinear on January 04, 2022, 01:27:01 AM
+1.  This may or may not be connected with having had a vacation job in a steel foundry in my student days. ;D

For a piece of self-styled "machine music", hearing it in performance is a remarkably life-affirming experience - it never fails to get a rousing cheer from the audience, and for years was a regular favourite at the BBC Proms.

I'm looking forward to another chance to hear it in concert next month, as part of this program:

Alexander Mosolov Iron Foundry (machine music)
Sergei Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No 4
Sergei Rachmaninov No 6 'Bogoroditse Devo' from Vespers
Galina Grigorjeva In Paradisum
Alfred Schnittke Three Sacred Hymns
Dmitri Shostakovich Symphony No 2, To October

BBC Symphony Orchestra
Dalia Stasevska conductor
Neil Ferris conductor
Marie-Ange Nguci piano
BBC Symphony Chorus

I will be really pissed off if anything prevents me from attending that one. >:(

My favourite recording is probably this one by Svetlanov:

Which has a heavy, dirty sound that conveys well the oppressive heat, noise and dust when working in that environment.

That concerto is unmissable indeed! Lucky you!

The content of that recording looks enticing, btw!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roy Bland

Regarding Mosolov recordings of Harp Concerto ,WDR Orchestra/Sony  is far superior at Naxos/MSO,the German orchestra is more precise and the female conductor Stutzmann has a greater mastery of it, underlining the lyrical passages also sound quality higher.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on November 20, 2022, 05:14:39 PM
Regarding Mosolov recordings of Harp Concerto ,WDR Orchestra/Sony  is far superior at Naxos/MSO,the German orchestra is more precise and the female conductor Stutzmann has a greater mastery of it, underlining the lyrical passages also sound quality higher.
Looks like an interesting CD which I wasn't aware of before. I'm curious about the harp arrangement of 'The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy' ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scion7

"Many of the early works (among them a symphony and two sonatas, opp.21a and 22) were lost when a case of manuscripts was stolen."

Sym., op.20, ?1928, lost;
Cello Conc. no.1, ?1935, lost;
Stal', op.19a, ballet suite, perf. 1927, lost;

Elegiya, op.2, cello, piano, lost;
Ballada, op.17, clarinet, cello, piano, perf. 1925, ?lost;
3 liricheskyie p'yesï, viola, piano, perf. 1925–6, lost;
4 kadentsii i koda, op.26, string quartet, lost;
Tantseval'naya syuita, op.27, piano trio, perf. 1929, ?lost;

Piano sonata 'Iz starïkh tetradey' [From Old Notebooks], b, op.4, 1923–4; op.6, ?lost;

:( :-X :-[

It would be amazing if someone stumbled across these somewhere in a warehouse or a rubbish bin where the thief discarded the case.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Roy Bland

Quote from: vandermolen on November 21, 2022, 11:29:12 PM
Looks like an interesting CD which I wasn't aware of before. I'm curious about the harp arrangement of 'The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy' ;D

good orchestration but it's just a curiosity

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Roy Bland

There was a project of recording all symphonies but  I don't know what stage it is at present

Roy Bland

A significant event of the St. Petersburg concert season will be the world premiere of Alexander Mosolov's Second Symphony, which will take place on April 14 at the Beloselsky-Belozersky Palace. The St. Petersburg State Academic Symphony Orchestra will be conducted by Alexander Titov. It was he who discovered the unfinished score of a symphony dating from 1946 in the Glinka Museum of Musical Culture. The third part, the Scherzo, was completed from surviving drafts by composer Anton Rovner.

In the same program as Alexander Mosolov's Second Symphony, the Second Piano Concerto of Sergei Rachmaninov will be performed, performed by Ilya Papoyan, winner of the 3rd prize at the XVII International Tchaikovsky Competition (2023).