The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Haydn's Haus

(1/2516) > >>

Gurn Blanston:
It will be hard to recreate one of my favorite threads from the old forum, so the heck with it, we shall expand "The Corner" into an entire house! :)

Since we have essentially reviewed every symphony recording ever made, let's put that back for a bit (really, no more London Symphonies recs for a while, please ::)  ) and talk about some of the more offbeat stuff, like divertimentos and the chamber music that ISN'T string quartets (or even piano trios!).  Or even the non-cello concertos, for that matter. :)

8)

Bogey:
I will start my friend.  For all those that do not have the following winds recording, I am sure the the following disc is one you will enjoy....and one that you may want to purchase while it remains available.  I know I have posted this before, but I believe it deserves another look:

Divertimento for 6 instruments in D major, H. 2/13
and
Divertimento (Fieldparthie) for 6 instruments in E flat major, H. 2/12

along with:

Partita for 2 clarinets, 2 horns, & 2 bassoons in C minor
Composed by Franz Krommer

You may sample here:

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Winds-Franz-Joseph-Haydn/dp/B00000K2UB/ref=sr_1_32/102-7134284-2880939?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1175907245&sr=1-32

Gurn Blanston:
Excellent start, Bill. I have that disk too, not only is the Haydn very good, but that c minor sextet is a great intro to Krommer for those few who are unfamiliar with him! ;)

I'm am not just overrun with Haydn divertimentos, although I have a few. The difficulty in recommending is that many of them are OOP. :'(  One that is OOP, but still frequently available in Amazon Marketplace or eBay is on SONY, called "Haydn 'The Natural Horn'". It features L'Archibudelli with Ab Koster on horn, and the contents are:

Hob deest (means "not appearing in Hoboken", BTW) - Cassation in D for 4 Horns, Violin, Viola & Bass
Hob II:21 - Divertimento in Eb for 2 Horns and String Quartet (a very popular combination in those days)
Hob VIId:3 Concerto in D for Horn, 2 Oboes & Strings
Hob IV:5 Divertimento à tre in Eb for Horn, Violin & Cello (yup, that's a Horn Trio)
Hob II:22 Divertimento in D for 2 Horns & String Quartet

This is a super disk for lovers of the natural horn and Haydn in general. :)

8)

Bogey:
I have been very pleased with these two volumes below that you recommended Gurn (from a four volume set) as played by the Vienna Philharmonia Trio.  They have now reached a "low sock" status at Arkive Music, so I should hurry and get the first two volumes, which are at special order status, which may mean they are OOP.

hornteacher:

--- Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 06, 2007, 04:12:15 PM ---Excellent start, Bill. I have that disk too, not only is the Haydn very good, but that c minor sextet is a great intro to Krommer for those few who are unfamiliar with him! ;)

I'm am not just overrun with Haydn divertimentos, although I have a few. The difficulty in recommending is that many of them are OOP. :'(  One that is OOP, but still frequently available in Amazon Marketplace or eBay is on SONY, called "Haydn 'The Natural Horn'". It features L'Archibudelli with Ab Koster on horn, and the contents are:

Hob deest (means "not appearing in Hoboken", BTW) - Cassation in D for 4 Horns, Violin, Viola & Bass
Hob II:21 - Divertimento in Eb for 2 Horns and String Quartet (a very popular combination in those days)
Hob VIId:3 Concerto in D for Horn, 2 Oboes & Strings
Hob IV:5 Divertimento à tre in Eb for Horn, Violin & Cello (yup, that's a Horn Trio)
Hob II:22 Divertimento in D for 2 Horns & String Quartet

This is a super disk for lovers of the natural horn and Haydn in general. :)

8)

--- End quote ---

Wow, I will check this one out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version