Karl Henning

No foolin'!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ritter

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 11, 2017, 04:01:16 PM
Thanks, Jeffrey. I am very pleased to know that my efforts have encouraged some people to explore Haydn who may perhaps not have done, or so they tell me.  It makes the time and effort worthwhile.

La vera constanza is indeed excellent. Seriously, doesn't it surprise you just a little that such fine music has only been recorded that one time? 
We had the chamce to see La vera costanza fully staged here in Madrid some 7 or 8 years ago, conducted by Jesús López-Cobos, and it was a real  treat. I invited several friends, as I was celebrating my birthday around those days, and they (all newcomers to opera) were delighted.

Che burrasca! Che tempesta!  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ritter on June 12, 2017, 11:59:24 AM
We had the chamce to see La vera costanza fully staged here in Madrid some 7 or 8 years ago, conducted by Jesús López-Cobos, and it was a real  treat. I invited several friends, as I was celebrating my birthday around those days, and they (all newcomers to opera) were delighted.

Che burrasca! Che tempesta!  :)

Cool! I haven't seen any in person, the only ones I know for sure have been staged (since I have them on DVD) are Orlando paladino and Il mondo della luna. Both are all jazzed up and modern, but the music, of course, is just as it should be. I would very much like to see nearly any of them. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 11, 2017, 04:26:37 PM
I went looking, hoping you were wrong. But you are correct.  There is no complete recording beyond the Dorati.

But there is this, released this past January

ASIN B017OK6656

So I'm listening to this right now, it is a very nice performance, very good singing. Not used to listening to these arias without any recitatives, but I could get used to it if I had to!  :)  The La Vera... has a lot more clarity than I was getting out of the Dorati. Modern sound recording can't be beat. ;)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

kishnevi

While traversing the Hogwood Haydn symphonies set, I have come to Symphony 72. What solo instrument is duetting with the flute in the Andante? I don't have a score, and my ears are not sure if it's a viola.

Whatever the answer, it's an exquisite movement. As is the slow movement of 13, with its cello concertante.

Jo498

It is a solo violin that has its own stave throughout the movement.
(If not in the US one can access the score at IMSLP)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

kishnevi

Quote from: Jo498 on June 25, 2017, 10:37:30 PM
It is a solo violin that has its own stave throughout the movement.
(If not in the US one can access the score at IMSLP)

Thanks.  Then whatever instrument Hogwood's violinist uses was rather dark toned.  At one point I thought it might be a 'cello.

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: George on June 12, 2017, 08:19:11 AM

Get the whole thing on MP3 for $9.99.

D'oh went to snap it up and got the message "download not available in your country". Australian $$s not good enough for them?

>:(
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Jo498

Most mp3 bargains are US only. (At least I have had that experience.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

George

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on June 26, 2017, 11:48:40 PM
D'oh went to snap it up and got the message "download not available in your country". Australian $$s not good enough for them?

>:(

Wow, that sucks! Sorry to hear that, I had no idea.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

I'm grateful for the reminder . . . I've paid for the set, but have not yet succeeded in downloading my purchase . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 26, 2017, 11:48:31 AM
Thanks.  Then whatever instrument Hogwood's violinist uses was rather dark toned.  At one point I thought it might be a 'cello.

Yes, it really is playing near the bottom end of its range in several places, like right at the beginning. It was interesting to go way back to ~1763 and hear this work again, which is more famous for its 4 horns than for that wonderful Andante! Thanks for the nudge. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on June 27, 2017, 12:10:40 AM
Most mp3 bargains are US only. (At least I have had that experience.)

At least, they are only certain to be available in their country of origin. I have tried a couple of times to buy download specials from Amazon UK and had similar experiences. Always discouraging, especially since one can hardly tell what the rationale might be. :-\

8)

George

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 27, 2017, 04:34:57 AM
At least, they are only certain to be available in their country of origin. I have tried a couple of times to buy download specials from Amazon UK and had similar experiences. Always discouraging, especially since one can hardly tell what the rationale might be. :-\

8)

I suspect it has to do with licensing.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: George on June 27, 2017, 04:48:05 AM

Oh yes, no doubt about it. It's just that the licensing rules don't make sense. But then, what copyright rules do?  ::)

8)

Parsifal

Quote from: George on June 27, 2017, 04:48:05 AM

It is a very broad problem. The copywriter holder gives a certain entity the license to sell content in one country only. The worst comes for things kept "in the cloud" since they will typically cut off you access to content if you find it necessary to change your country designations. Had that problem with iTunes and Amazon.

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 27, 2017, 05:44:08 AM
Oh yes, no doubt about it. It's just that the licensing rules don't make sense. But then, what copyright rules do?  ::)

8)

Makes about as much sense as it would for our local supermarket to say "sorry you can't buy those, you're wearing the wrong colour sweater".

;D
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Madiel

Welcome to the online world, where the illusion of a single globe often collapses when you try to consume media. There are still in fact a couple of hundred separate countries.

Comfort yourself with the knowledge that buying a CD from overseas is much easier and will deliver better sound than most MP3s (a format, designed for small file size when internet speeds were far slower, which really should die).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Well, it took me nearly as long to get through England as it took Haydn in real life!  But now we are back in Vienna, and what a difference a year or two can make!  Have a look at what Haydn had to settle down into when he got home, he might have wished he stayed in London! :)

Umm, there's a guy hanging out there... :-\

Thanks
8)

kishnevi

Going through the Hogwood Haydn set, I have come to Symphony 54 in G: First version. With an extra Minuet/Trio in C and extra Finale in C, both parenthetically dated to 1773-74.  Symphony 54 in G: Second version appears three CDs down the road.

There are, of course, no pertinent liner notes included, so I am left befuddled. There are two or three symphonies numbered 54, and no explanation of why.

Enlighten me, please!