Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on August 05, 2017, 03:09:07 PM
Where to recommend some excellent Haydn played on a fortepiano (copy) that sounds like a true fortepiano, played by an obscure Dutch keyboardist (now dead) and recorded on a tiny label?  :) 8)

[asin]B004FNC484[/asin]

http://www.zefirrecords.nl/album/5f8b4bbc5e7b1381774/leen-de-broekert_haydn-pianoworks.html

http://www.leendebroekert.nl/cd1.html

I can't imagine a place for it, but go ahead and try it here and see what happens. ...........

Oops, hope they had more than 1 copy, I just bought that one... :D 

(Thanks, Gordo) ;)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 05, 2017, 03:12:25 PM
I can't imagine a place for it, but go ahead and try it here and see what happens. ...........

Oops, hope they had more than 1 copy, I just bought that one... :D 

(Thanks, Gordo) ;)

8)

My pleasure, dear Gurn:D ;D :D

Did you notice the link to the Capriccio in G? You will get a good idea of the style and sound...

PS: I mean this one

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on August 05, 2017, 03:18:59 PM
My pleasure, dear Gurn:D ;D :D

Did you notice the link to the Capriccio in G? You will get a good idea of the style and sound...

PS: I mean this one

I hadn't seen it, but am playing it now. Nice resonant instrument, I like the sound. His style with that Capriccio is all his own, too often they all sound the same, which I don't think was the original intention. Nice! :)  I haven't got a new solo keyboard disk in a long time, not that I have them all, I don't suppose, but the remainers are thin on the ground. Last one I got was this, which I highly recommend.  I had to buy it from Amazon UK though, not sold here (at that time).

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 05, 2017, 03:33:16 PM
I hadn't seen it, but am playing it now. Nice resonant instrument, I like the sound. His style with that Capriccio is all his own, too often they all sound the same, which I don't think was the original intention. Nice! :)  I haven't got a new solo keyboard disk in a long time, not that I have them all, I don't suppose, but the remainers are thin on the ground. Last one I got was this, which I highly recommend.  I had to buy it from Amazon UK though, not sold here (at that time).

8)

Interesting. Irving's name sounds quite familiar... Probably, I saw it as author of some books on Mozart.

This disk looks very enticing, too:

Unfortunately not available on Amazon.  :( 
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on August 05, 2017, 03:47:18 PM
Interesting. Irving's name sounds quite familiar... Probably, I saw it as author of some books on Mozart.

This disk looks very enticing, too:

Unfortunately not available on Amazon.  :(

True in all cases. He did write at least 2 books on playing Mozart keyboard works, which I would like to have. That disk DOES like very enticing indeed, and it isn't available in the US. I may well order it from the UK when the time is right. We follow each other on Twitter, I have 'spoken' with him a couple of times, seems like a nice fellow. :)

8)

SonicMan46

London Haydn Quartet - just bought their Op. 54/55 release, below posted a few days ago in the listening thread - continues my collection of their output - as expected, excellent performances and ready for the next release! :)  Dave

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 02, 2017, 12:00:54 PM
Haydn, Joseph - String Quartets, Op. 54/55 w/ the London Haydn Quartet - a continuation of their chronological exploration of Papa's SQs - this 2CD set recorded in November 2015 - I own all up to this point and suspect the next one soon; attached are three reviews, two excellent and one somewhat unexpected from AllMusic (the reviewer has downrated a number of the other SQ releases of this group, esp. Op. 33).  Dave :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 05, 2017, 06:29:22 PM
London Haydn Quartet - just bought their Op. 54/55 release, below posted a few days ago in the listening thread - continues my collection of their output - as expected, excellent performances and ready for the next release! :)  Dave

Hey, Dave, yes, that is a very fine set, and indeed, the entire seems to be building momentum as it goes along. Certainly looking forward to Opus 64, maybe this winter (54/55 actually came out in the US back in late February or early March, IIRC). It would be so fine to finally have an entire set by someone to supplement my Festetics set. It takes dedication to do the whole cycle!  :)

8)

calyptorhynchus

I downloaded this disk the other day:

I knew beforehand that the story was that the performer, Klöcker, had three MSs of C18 clarinet concertos, two double concertos from the early classical period, and one later, solo concerto that was obviously written after Mozart's Clarinet Concerto (because it almost quotes it). Klöcker maintains that all three are by Haydn, but no-one else thinks they are, and also the late concerto doesn't sound like it was written by the same composer as the earlier two.

I found the two double concertos to be very agreeable works, and the later one to be really very good. Granted it isn't by Haydn the question then arises who is it by? I listened to a few other recordings of 1790s concertos (for various instruments) that I had and it actually sound quite like Eberl's style. But I guess we'll probably never know.

Still it's a disk worth buying and getting to know.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Karl Henning

Well, it's about dang time (I made the purchase 12 June) but I have at last managed to download the Festetics set.

Quite possibly the best $10 I've spent this year.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 16, 2017, 02:49:55 PM
Well, it's about dang time (I made the purchase 12 June) but I have at last managed to download the Festetics set.

Well done!  $:)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 16, 2017, 02:49:55 PM

I can believe that! Especially since I paid in excess of $270 for the 9 little box sets the originals came in... :-\  That's what you get for buying something OOP. Yet, I felt like it was good money paid, too, so it's good::good. :)

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 16, 2017, 04:57:11 PM
I can believe that! Especially since I paid in excess of $270 for the 9 little box sets the originals came in... :-\  That's what you get for buying something OOP. Yet, I felt like it was good money paid, too, so it's good::good. :)

8)

These, and the Weinberg quartets, are the beginning of a second flash drive for use in the car ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote below just posted in the 'listening thread' - for those interested in the London Haydn Quartet's projected release of the Op. 64 SQs - Dave :)

Quote from: Dee Sharp on August 17, 2017, 08:32:17 AM
Haydn: String quartets op. 33. London Haydn Quartet. Bright and lively performances.

Just purchased the Haydn London Quartet's Op. 54/55 SQs (inserted above), and was wondering about the next release?  So, checked their website HERE; the email 'contact person' is Catherine Manson - she responded to my email request, as shown below - looks like about a year's wait.  Dave :)

QuoteHello and many thanks for your email. I am always delighted to hear that the recordings are reaching an enthusiastic audience. We will record the op 64 quartets later this year so I hope they will be out next summer. I wish we could speed up the time between discs but it always takes a while. However, we're getting there slowly but surely!

all very best wishes,

Catherine

Karl Henning

Thanks for cross-posting here, Dave.  Those discs would be a temptation, except I have just got the Festetics set downloaded, and to them I must for the nonce be true  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 18, 2017, 09:53:59 AM
Thanks for cross-posting here, Dave.  Those discs would be a temptation, except I have just got the Festetics set downloaded, and to them I must for the nonce be true  0:)
I can confirm that The London Haydn Quartet's recordings of the Opp. 50, 54 & 55 quartets are excellent.  8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 18, 2017, 09:53:59 AM

Hi Karl - well, like Papa's Symphonies, can a 'true' lover of Haydn just live w/ one set of the String Quartets?   :o  ;D

For myself, I have the Buchberger Quartet Brilliant box (probably my least favorite - could cull out?), Quatuor Mosaiques (about 10 discs, Op. 20 and later), Quatuor Festetics (16 discs, nearly complete), and the ongoing London Haydn Quartet - was not planning to even collect the latter, but the reviews, label, and 'new' recordings 'sucked me in' after a first listen.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 18, 2017, 10:26:32 AM
Hi Karl - well, like Papa's Symphonies, can a 'true' lover of Haydn just live w/ one set of the String Quartets?   :o ;D

I do take your point, dear fellow  :)  And the Quatuor Mosaïques compendium is a treasure in my music library.

The Mosaïques are actually my second substantial-but-well-short-of-complete quartet acquisition:  early on (well, early on in my own "Papa" obsession) I picked up the Amadeus Quartet box (late enough that this was a reissue, early enough that there was still a brick-&-mortar shop on Washington Street in Boston), which runs just a bit "sweeter" than the HIP contingent, but still to my ears musical and satisfying.  They were my introduction to the Opp. 51, 54, 55, 64, 71 & 74 (whew!)

Quote from: North Star on August 18, 2017, 10:08:54 AM
I can confirm that The London Haydn Quartet's recordings of the Opp. 50, 54 & 55 quartets are excellent.  8)

I suffer no doubt on that head, Karlo!  I do have the London Quartet in the Opp. 9 & 17, and enjoy them entirely.  When their set is done (Godspeed), I should not be surprised if I act then.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 18, 2017, 10:26:32 AM
For myself, I have the Buchberger Quartet Brilliant box (probably my least favorite - could cull out?)

A (short, or, short-ish) while ago, I bought the mp3 download of the Buchbergers playing the Op.50.  Agreed that they are my least favorite . . . and I have not felt that I needed more of their set.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

I was interested yesterday to see some people choosing the Trumpet Concerto among their favorite Haydn works. Not only is it also one of mine, but I was right at the end of writing some history about it. Come have a look, there is more there than first meets the ear.

Seriously, did you just play the 11th harmonic overtone??

Thanks,
8)

Karl Henning

Very nice!  (Will expand on that anon.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA