Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amw

Quote from: kyjo on October 18, 2017, 08:26:21 AMWhat are everyone's favorite Haydn quartets?
Op. 76 no. 5 (D major)
Op. 50 no. 4 (f# minor)
Op. 33 no. 1 (b minor)
Op. 20 no. 2 (C major)
Op. 50 no. 6 (D major)
Op. 33 no. 2 (Eb major)
Op. 20 no. 5 (f minor)
Op. 33 no. 3 (C major)
Op. 64 no. 6 (Eb major)
Op. 76 no. 2 (d minor)
Op. 50 no. 3 (Eb major)

in the order I thought of them anyway.

BasilValentine

Quote from: Scarpia on October 18, 2017, 09:28:15 AM
Generally yes, but I feel a lack of something. If you mention Mozart symphony no X, where X is greater than or equal to 29 I will have a distinct opinion on it. Same for Mozart string quartet Y, with Y greater than or equal to 14, or Piano Concerto Z, with Z greater or equal to 14.

If you ask me about a Haydn symphony and it's not Le Poule or the one I listened to last night you'll get a blank stare.

Gurn, quick, what do you think of Haydn Symphony No 37. No cheating!  :)

Listen to Symphonies 44-47 and you will get a definite, indelible impression. This run of four symphonies is my favorite in the Haydn cycle. Each one is thoroughly original and there are striking, experimental surprises throughout. A palindromic minuet, a sonata form movement starting in major and ending in minor, an early experiment in cyclic structure, one of the most intense climactic finales before Beethoven (44), whole movements with canonic writing, and other wonders. 

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: kyjo on October 18, 2017, 08:26:21 AM
Over the summer, I heard a vibrant performance of Haydn's Quartet op. 76/1 (in G major) by the up-and-coming Jasper Quartet (a fantastic group) and was struck by what a remarkable work it is. From the catchy first movement through the deeply felt second and hilariously unpredictable third to the vigorous, minor-key finale, it's a work that constantly surprised and delighted me. Another one of Haydn's quartets that really struck me is his op. 20/2 (in C major), with its noble opening cello solo, melancholy slow movement, wistful minuet, and masterly fugal finale. I also love the Lark Quartet despite having played it too many times. What are everyone's favorite Haydn quartets?

Some favorites with favorite performances:

op.9/4 D minor - London Haydn String Quartet
op.20/2 C major - Quatuor Mosaiques
op.20/4 D major - Auryn Quartet
op.20/5 F minor - Auryn Quartet
op.33/1 B minor - Apponyi Quartett
op.33/2 E flat "Joke"- Apponyi Quartett
op:33/3 C major "Bird" - Apponyi Quartett
op.50/4 F sharp minor - Tokyo Quartet
op.54/1 G major - Amadeus Quartet
op.64/3 B flat major - Quatuor Mosaiques
op.74/3 G minor "Rider" - Schuppanzigh Quartett
op.76/2 D minor "Fifths" - Jerusalem Quartet
op.76/3 C major "Kaiser" - Amadeus Quartet
op.77/1 G major - Jerusalem Quartet and Kodaly Quartet

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scarpia on October 18, 2017, 01:09:57 PM
Well done! Now I'm suitably ashamed.  :)

In truth, I listened to it last weekend. I have been going through my early essays looking to spruce them up a bit and listening to the music as I work. C major symphonies are always special if a Viennese wrote them. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Parsifal

I must say I envy the listening time some here have available, making it possible to cultivate so many well defined favorites among Haydn's large body of work. I seriously doubt I will manage to listen to the pieces cited even once, let alone have the opportunity to form any preference for one or another. :(

Parsifal

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 18, 2017, 03:56:50 PM
In truth, I listened to it last weekend. I have been going through my early essays looking to spruce them up a bit and listening to the music as I work. C major symphonies are always special if a Viennese wrote them. :)

8)

Not a Russian, French, Hollywood Transplant. I'm Partial to Stravinsky's Symphony in C. :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: BasilValentine on October 18, 2017, 03:09:45 PM
Listen to Symphonies 44-47 and you will get a definite, indelible impression. This run of four symphonies is my favorite in the Haydn cycle. Each one is thoroughly original and there are striking, experimental surprises throughout. A palindromic minuet, a sonata form movement starting in major and ending in minor, an early experiment in cyclic structure, one of the most intense climactic finales before Beethoven (44), whole movements with canonic writing, and other wonders.

Can't argue with that, they were an early peak in his symphony output, although 44 was written 2 years earlier than the other 3. Immediately preceding 45-47 (1772) was #42 in D, which is one of my personal favorites too. Haydn had a self-administered "complete course in composition" from ca. 1768-72, where he took a full course in music and composition theory. The immediate results were the Opp 9, 17 & 20 quartets and the very best of the dramatic period symphonies. Quite a self-imposition for his 40th birthday! :o

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scarpia on October 18, 2017, 04:01:58 PM
Not a Russian, French, Hollywood Transplant. I'm Partial to Stravinsky's Symphony in C. :)

I can get behind that. ;)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Boy, you guys sure picked some nice lists!  A solid reason why choosing among these works is so difficult. I can go to any list and say "yup, that's it".  :-\  :) 

8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on October 18, 2017, 03:58:13 PM
I must say I envy the listening time some here have available

Retirement has its perks  8)

Sarge

amw

Quote from: Scarpia on October 18, 2017, 03:58:13 PM
I must say I envy the listening time some here have available, making it possible to cultivate so many well defined favorites among Haydn's large body of work. I seriously doubt I will manage to listen to the pieces cited even once, let alone have the opportunity to form any preference for one or another. :(
Honestly with my list it's more that all of those have a distinct profile in my mind (and in many cases I can hum the main themes) whereas a lot of the others simply haven't gotten that far. The quality of Haydn's quartets is so consistently high that I don't think there's anything qualitatively separating that top 10 or whatever from the rest apart from, e.g. the particular love I have for the slow movement of 76/5 or the fugue of 50/4 or the slow movement of 33/2 etc.

Alongside set works in music theory classes at uni, I got to know the Haydn quartets from Rosen's The Classical Style, which could be useful reading material for fixing some of the quartets in memory, although he gives short shrift to Op. 20.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on October 18, 2017, 09:46:03 AM
And again, no news on The Hobbit?

The Heidelberger Sinfoniker website says Fey has not yet recovered. The 2017/18 season concerts are being conducted by others.

Sarge

Parsifal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 18, 2017, 04:33:42 PM
The Heidelberger Sinfoniker website says Fey has not yet recovered. The 2017/18 season concerts are being conducted by others.

Sarge

What a sad loss of a brilliant talent.

I found the web site and even your use of the term "yet" seems an unjustified optimism.

QuoteLeider ist immer noch nicht abzusehen, ob Thomas Fey nach seinem Unfall - vor nun mehr einem Jahr - wieder auf die Bühne zurückkehren wird. Wir wünschen ihm auch an dieser Stelle viel Kraft auf seinem langen Weg der Genesung

QuoteUnfortunately, it is still not clear whether Thomas Fey will return to the stage after his accident - more than a year ago. We also wish him much strength on his long journey of recovery.

The English version via Google Translate.

Jo498

Quote from: amw on October 18, 2017, 04:28:28 PM
Honestly with my list it's more that all of those have a distinct profile in my mind (and in many cases I can hum the main themes) whereas a lot of the others simply haven't gotten that far. The quality of Haydn's quartets is so consistently high that I don't think there's anything qualitatively separating that top 10 or whatever from the rest apart from, e.g. the particular love I have for the slow movement of 76/5 or the fugue of 50/4 or the slow movement of 33/2 etc.

Alongside set works in music theory classes at uni, I got to know the Haydn quartets from Rosen's The Classical Style, which could be useful reading material for fixing some of the quartets in memory, although he gives short shrift to Op. 20.
And even shorter thrift to op.9 and 17 ;)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 18, 2017, 03:56:50 PM

8)

Still, you benefited from the regular regimen!  And without violating the request, you were nevertheless equipped  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 19, 2017, 01:15:01 AM
Still, you benefited from the regular regimen!  And without violating the request, you were nevertheless equipped  0:)

0:) 

Yes, it's true. I wonder what other people use as a memory-triggering device. For me, it's the Key. Once I knew the key, the work came right back. Anyone have other ideas about that?

8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 19, 2017, 04:27:26 AM
0:) 

Yes, it's true. I wonder what other people use as a memory-triggering device. For me, it's the Key. Once I knew the key, the work came right back. Anyone have other ideas about that?

8)

I know you won't like to hear this but the nicknames really help me remember a particular work. Also, if the work is in a minor key, it tends to be more memorable.

Sarge

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 19, 2017, 04:50:06 AM
I know you won't like to hear this but the nicknames really help me remember a particular work.

It is philosophically problematic;  but there's no denying that they exist, partly because they are useful mnemonics.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 19, 2017, 04:50:06 AM
I know you won't like to hear this but the nicknames really help me remember a particular work. Also, if the work is in a minor key, it tends to be more memorable.

Sarge

OK, I can accept that. But how would YOU then remember #37, for example? I remember writing about it and that it was a Viennese Festive C Major work, and I wrote a little bit about that tradition. Usually that is what happens with the symphonies. The string quartets, though, when amw was talking about her list and said  "Op 33 #1 (b minor)", I knew just which one she was talking about, not because of Op 33 #1 but 'the one in b minor' is how I remembered it. Neither do I remember the one called The Joke, it's the one in Eb.

Anyway, my brain doesn't work to remember themes and such like I see a lot of people doing. But it is great at gathering all these trivial little facts that I don't even consciously remember until someone asks. Like "it's in b minor'... :)

8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 19, 2017, 06:01:12 AM
OK, I can accept that. But how would YOU then remember #37, for example?

Other than listening to it repeatedly until the themes are ingrained? I don't know. Knowing it's in C major doesn't help since it's just one of 19 that Haydn composed in that key.

Sarge