Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The One

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 22, 2018, 06:03:13 AM
I think it is an excellent box, Brautigam is a top shelf player and the instrument he uses is one of the finest sounding fortepianos I have heard.  So, I guess, yeah. :)

8)

OK! This is gonna be my second set after Mccabe. What else?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 22, 2018, 04:38:17 AM
Please, sieur: we say jangly, hereabouts  8)

Yes, that is far more accurate. A jangle here and there bothers me not a whit. One of my favorite fortepianists (Khouri) is just a jangling fool!  :D  :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: The One on January 22, 2018, 06:04:59 AM
OK! What else?

Keyboard Trios - Trio 1790. Far and away the finest set of these works. Individual performances by others may be better (in someone's opinion), but as a set, you can't do better.

Cello concertos - Suzuki with Kuijken on DHM or Bylsma with Tafelmusik.

Trumpet Concerto - Best one is Perkins with King's Consort, but for all-Haydn, either Pinnock or Hogwood is also excellent.

String Quartets - Festetics.  You can almost build a nice set with a combination of London Haydn Quartet & Mosaiques, but you will still lack Op 71/74, and also all the joie de vivre that Festetics bring.

I would also look for the 2 BIS boxes by Manfred Huss, 'Music for the King of Naples" and "Early Divertimentos".

And I would get the recently released symphonies box by Hogwood/Brüggen/Dantone.

If you had all that, you would have a solid backbone for a superb Haydn collection. You could even not duplicate anything and get a few more disks and have a matchless collection. Well, I could match it, but most can't. :D :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

king ubu

I've not made my way through either the Schornsheim or the Brautigam boxes in their entirey yet, but I guess the later is more accessible indeed. Still in the process of getting used to Schornsheim's playing, I assume  ;)

Regarding concertos, I enjoy this set quite some:

[asin]B018UZN9AO[/asin]
(you'll find a backcover scan there with details)

And for sonatas, also this disc by Marcia Hadjimarkos (her Mozart disc on Avie is nice too):

[asin]B000EQHTBS[/asin]
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: king ubu on January 22, 2018, 06:36:47 AM
I've not made my way through either the Schornsheim or the Brautigam boxes in their entirey yet, but I guess the later is more accessible indeed. Still in the process of getting used to Schornsheim's playing, I assume  ;)

Regarding concertos, I enjoy this set quite some:

[asin]B018UZN9AO[/asin]
(you'll find a backcover scan there with details)

And for sonatas, also this disc by Marcia Hadjimarkos (her Mozart disc on Avie is nice too):

[asin]B000EQHTBS[/asin]

Both of those disks get the Gurn Seal of Approval©. Hadjimarkos plays a mean clavichord, it would be a great introduction for someone who wants to hear what one sounds like. :)

8)

king ubu

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 22, 2018, 06:41:09 AM
Both of those disks get the Gurn Seal of Approval©.
Phew, relieved to hear that  ;D
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

The One

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 22, 2018, 06:14:49 AM
Keyboard Trios - Trio 1790. Far and away the finest set of these works. Individual performances by others may be better (in someone's opinion), but as a set, you can't do better.

Trumpet Concerto - Best one is Perkins with King's Consort, but for all-Haydn, either Pinnock or Hogwood is also excellent.

String Quartets - Festetics.  You can almost build a nice set with a combination of London Haydn Quartet & Mosaiques, but you will still lack Op 71/74, and also all the joie de vivre that Festetics bring.

I would also look for the 2 BIS boxes by Manfred Huss, 'Music for the King of Naples" and "Early Divertimentos".

And I would get the recently released symphonies box by Hogwood/Brüggen/Dantone.

If you had all that, you would have a solid backbone for a superb Haydn collection. You could even not duplicate anything and get a few more disks and have a matchless collection. Well, I could match it, but most can't. :D :D

8)

Yes, I really like this kind of tidy compilations from tycoons

Keyboard Trios - Trio 1790.
I have BAT, Levin/Beths/Bylsma, Cohen/Hobart/Coin and ABEGG here. I'll look for a deal after this post (I listen to only 10 of them, I wonder if it will cost me the whole box :) )

I have so many here, including them. I like Comberti

I only have Hardenberger and Marsalis but then again I don't listen to it much. I'll try to add Steele-Perkins. Thanks

I listen to 13 of the quartets  and I have them all in PI, too. Festetics set is one of the best of my whole classical music collection. In addition to Festetics, Mosaiques and LHQ, I prefer The Lindsays and Kodaly

This kind of recommendation is what I yearn for.

I already have it. I have the sets I mentioned before, plus I have the Davis and Jochum for London symphonies and some mixture of Szell(92, 94 and 96), Harnoncourt and Mackerras (100), Abbado and Goodman(101) and Hickox (103 and 104)

What about violin concertos, Sinfonia Concertante(105), Flute Trios(London), The Creation and Arianna a Naxos?

The One

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: The One on January 22, 2018, 06:58:46 AM
Yes, I really like this kind of tidy compilations from tycoons

What about violin concertos, Sinfonia Concertante(105), Flute Trios(London), The Creation and Arianna a Naxos?

Just to say that I spent years collecting these things, if I tried to buy them all at once I would have to mortgage my dog... :)

You said you had the Carmignola VC's, let me look when I get home, I have a bunch of them (I like Standage, for example, but probably not more than Carmignola). I'll get back on that one.

Flute trios have several competitors also. The nicest one, IMO, is the Kuijken brothers. The Sans Souci on CPO are very fine also. Now, if you mean the Flute & Keyboard trios, as opposed to the 2 flutes and cello trios, then also on CPO there is a disk by Camerata Köln that is hard to beat, although dozens try. Patrick Cohen and the Mosaiques guys do a nice job too.

The Creation in English is McCreesh. In German, I think I have all the PI ones, and I have to say the Spering on Naxos pleases me as much as any. Harnoncourt is no slouch either.

For the Masses, the Rebel Baroque on Naxos is the best choice, although there is a lot of good competition here.

For Arianna a Naxos I have easily a dozen and a half, but Andrea Folan with Tom Beghin on Bridge, or better yet the double CD with all 24 of the German Lieder (on Alpha?) is hard to beat.

This doesn't even scratch the surface of the Scottish Songs, or the Baryton Trios or the String Trios or.... :)

8)

Sinfonia concertante: let me look this one up too, I like Angerer (Gramola?) for example, but have a bunch of them. Petite Bande is nice...

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: San Antone on January 22, 2018, 08:00:44 AM
Are you off Beghin now?

Nope. I was recc'ing for him, not me. I love the harpsichord and clavichord in the early works, and Brautigam is fortepiano all the way through. I didn't want to rec anything 'tinny'. :D :D

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: San Antone on January 22, 2018, 08:22:34 AM

I always figured you for a tin ear.   ;D

Hell, you may be right about that. I do gots rhythm though.... ;)

8)

Gurn Blanston

1797 was a momentous year for Austria, thus for Haydn. For music lovers, it was the year of the Opus 76 quartets and the Austrian National Anthem. But the major character of the drama of that year wasn't a musician...

Now it's on!

Thanks,
8)

The One

Quote from: San Antone on January 22, 2018, 06:32:05 AM
That one is good but this one was all the rave around here a few  years ago:

Tom Beghin

Thank you but I specifically mentioned avoiding tins :). I listen to clavichord but I can't stand a few specific early fortepianos. I can list their models if need be  ;)

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 22, 2018, 08:20:32 AM
I didn't want to rec anything 'tinny'.

Thanks

bwv 1080

Does anyone have a good FP rec for the piano concertos?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: bwv 1080 on January 22, 2018, 09:53:55 AM
Does anyone have a good FP rec for the piano concertos?

Like with the solo keyboard, Brautigam is hard to beat.

8)

Turner

Andsnes/EMI is good if one prefers a modern piano like me - livelier than for example Ax, IMO. I´ve got Brautigam too, and he plays well.

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/7951238--haydn-keyboard-concertos-no-3-4-and-11#tracklist
https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/7935389--haydn-keyboard-concertos

The One

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 22, 2018, 07:43:56 AM
Just to say that I spent years collecting these things, if I tried to buy them all at once I would have to mortgage my dog... :)

You said you had the Carmignola VC's, let me look when I get home, I have a bunch of them (I like Standage, for example, but probably not more than Carmignola). I'll get back on that one.

Flute trios have several competitors also. The nicest one, IMO, is the Kuijken brothers. The Sans Souci on CPO are very fine also. Now, if you mean the Flute & Keyboard trios, as opposed to the 2 flutes and cello trios, then also on CPO there is a disk by Camerata Köln that is hard to beat, although dozens try. Patrick Cohen and the Mosaiques guys do a nice job too.

The Creation in English is McCreesh. In German, I think I have all the PI ones, and I have to say the Spering on Naxos pleases me as much as any. Harnoncourt is no slouch either.

For the Masses, the Rebel Baroque on Naxos is the best choice, although there is a lot of good competition here.

For Arianna a Naxos I have easily a dozen and a half, but Andrea Folan with Tom Beghin on Bridge, or better yet the double CD with all 24 of the German Lieder (on Alpha?) is hard to beat.

This doesn't even scratch the surface of the Scottish Songs, or the Baryton Trios or the String Trios or.... :)

8)

Sinfonia concertante: let me look this one up too, I like Angerer (Gramola?) for example, but have a bunch of them. Petite Bande is nice...

I'll act on this one after you complete it. I don't cover H5, H11 and H31. I've tried hard for baryton trios once but... I'd love to see if you have any special discs for H5 though.
Thanks a lot for an active and very enjoyable day you begot.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: The One on January 22, 2018, 01:23:38 PM
I'll act on this one after you complete it. I don't cover H5, H11 and H31. I've tried hard for baryton trios once but... I'd love to see if you have any special discs for H5 though.

Violin concertos;

So this is what I have. Some of them only have #1 & 4, the rest have 1, 3 & 4. In some cases, the filler work is pretty fine, for example, the Podger has my favorite Mozart Sinfonia concertante, and the Wallfisch has one of my favorite Haydn Sinfonia concertante.  Midori Seiler is excellent. So is Carmignola and Guglielmo. Frankly, there isn't a loser in the bunch, but the Wallfisch does kill 2 birds by giving a fine SC, although you lose the Concerto in A.  Your call, I guess. You can always use Carmignola's #3 and then not worry about it. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: The One on January 22, 2018, 01:23:38 PM

Gotta say, try this Baryton Trios; if you don't like it, then give up on them for a few years. They are an acquired taste, maybe they need to sit for a while! :)

For the String Trios, choices are thin on the ground. Camerata Berolinensis began a series a few years ago but only got these 2 disks completed. They are well worth the effort to dig up. Haydn didn't write string trios because he couldn't write quartets yet, he wrote them because he was inspired to do so and was damned good at it.  :)

Here is an outstanding disk of songs, some of the canzonettas and Scottish Songs done as they would have been in a salon. Also, this is the disk of German Lieder I was telling you about with Arianna a Naxos and the 24 German songs.

Finally, the Sinfonia concertante. Well, there is the Wallfisch above.  And I really do like this one, the sound of the solo instruments is really quite special (although a modern oboist would probably go 'yeewww'). Screw a modern oboist anyway. :D

There are others in this vein, but this will do for a start. :)

8)

The One

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 22, 2018, 07:43:56 AM
Now, if you mean the Flute & Keyboard trios, as opposed to the 2 flutes and cello trios...
London are  H.IV/1-4. I was asking for H.IV/1-4