Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on March 31, 2018, 01:16:16 AM
I was casting my eye of the Hoboken catalogue recently and I had two questions about concertos:

1. The Flute Concerto Hob.VIIf:1, is it thought to be genuine? If so, why don't we hear it more? It's a very pretty piece.
2. The Cello Concerto Hob.VIIb:g1, is this lost or spurious? There don't seem to be any recordings of it.

Wikipedia has an answer to one of those questions. The Flute Concerto is lost. Are you sure that's the one you're hearing at all? Because there's another in the same key which is listed as spurious.

It doesn't even list a "VIIb:g1", so I don't know if that corresponds to one of the ones the article on Haydn concertos mentions.

EDIT: Ah. I see from another source that no, that cello concerto is a different one. But the numbering suggests that maybe it's a later discovery? I've found one tiny source suggesting that it's lost, so perhaps all that is known is the opening line or something.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on March 31, 2018, 01:16:16 AM
I was casting my eye of the Hoboken catalogue recently and I had two questions about concertos:

1. The Flute Concerto Hob.VIIf:1, is it thought to be genuine? If so, why don't we hear it more? It's a very pretty piece.
2. The Cello Concerto Hob.VIIb:g1, is this lost or spurious? There don't seem to be any recordings of it.

Current straight info on Hob.VIIf:1 is that it is written by Leopold Hof(f)man. Artaria Editions publishes it as being his most famous work, due to the attribution to Haydn for so many years.

Hob.VIIb:g1 is listed as lost. This raises the question: how it was known in the first place?  If Haydn noted the incipit in his Entwurf Katalog(EK), then there is no doubt he wrote one, it's just lost. If it comes from some publisher's catalog, like Breitkopf for example, then it could be by anyone in the world.  I just looked in the New Grove, and Feder does NOT list it as being in EK, although he lists the year (1773?). So I would say it had to come from a publisher's catalog. So I am very dubious, but then, no one believed concerto #2 in D was by Haydn until the autograph manuscript showed up.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 31, 2018, 07:34:50 AM
Current straight info on Hob.VIIf:1 is that it is written by Leopold Hof(f)man. Artaria Editions publishes it as being his most famous work, due to the attribution to Haydn for so many years.

Hob.VIIb:g1 is listed as lost. This raises the question: how it was known in the first place?  If Haydn noted the incipit in his Entwurf Katalog(EK), then there is no doubt he wrote one, it's just lost. If it comes from some publisher's catalog, like Breitkopf for example, then it could be by anyone in the world.  I just looked in the New Grove, and Feder does NOT list it as being in EK, although he lists the year (1773?). So I would say it had to come from a publisher's catalog. So I am very dubious, but then, no one believed concerto #2 in D was by Haydn until the autograph manuscript showed up.

8)

Thanks Gurn, guess the version I was looking at hadn't been updated with the latest information. The Flute Concerto is still well worth a listen.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on March 31, 2018, 06:32:05 PM
Thanks Gurn, guess the version I was looking at hadn't been updated with the latest information. The Flute Concerto is still well worth a listen.

This is a real problem with composers in general, and Haydn in particular. I have seen a great many statements published about Haydn, especially in liner notes, which were outdated years ago. What's a music lover to do?  :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Madiel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 31, 2018, 06:46:26 PM
I have seen a great many statements published about Haydn, especially in liner notes, which were outdated years ago. What's a music lover to do?  :-\

Get a job as a writer of liner notes.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Madiel on March 31, 2018, 06:48:19 PM
Get a job as a writer of liner notes.

I'm available... :D

8)

Gurn Blanston

Interesting, attaching pictures seems problematic... :-\

8)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 12, 2018, 10:32:56 AM
Interesting, attaching pictures seems problematic... :-\

8)

Neato!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 12, 2018, 10:35:46 AM
Bravo!

What, do you lads see the picture? I don't see any sign that it attached and posted. This is a mystery... :-\

8)

Baron Scarpia

Presumably your browser is blocking it.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on April 12, 2018, 12:39:41 PM
Do you see it now?

Nope, absolutely nothing to indicate anything is even there. And now I am on my home computer, which even has a different browser. Hmmmm....  When I quote you, Jens, I see the link there in your quoted text, but otherwise I wouldn't know it was there.

8)

Gurn Blanston

Trying out a new image hosting service. Even so, you should listen to this set. It's only 3 disks, dammit!   :D

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 12, 2018, 12:25:25 PM
What, do you lads see the picture? I don't see any sign that it attached and posted.

I do.  And indications are that Jens does, too  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 12, 2018, 12:25:25 PM
What, do you lads see the picture? I don't see any sign that it attached and posted. This is a mystery... :-\

8)

I see the attachment as clear as day, both on my phone and my laptop.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

The One

Show-off!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: George on April 13, 2018, 03:17:45 AM
I see the attachment as clear as day, both on my phone and my laptop.

I can only think this is from the upgrade. I could always see uploaded pictures before, and I can see remote links from hosting sites, but there is no vague indication that I posted a picture, which I did from work using Firefox. I couldn't see it there but I thought when I came home I would see it on Chrome. No. I am curious if anyone else has tried attaching a picture and can they see their picture? Can I see their picture?  :-\

Quote from: The One on April 13, 2018, 04:39:46 AM
Show-off!

:D

Well yes, I am. But I was actually just putting it up so one person could see it and was going to quickly delete it. Since I couldn't see it I thought it wasn't there, which shot that plan in the ass. I did manage to go 1.5 years without posting it though...  :-[

8)