Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 05, 2019, 04:00:42 PM
This week, I'm revisiting the first recordings of the quartets I listened to, with the Amadeus Quartet.

Sweet. I wonder if everyone recalls exactly which Haydn Quartets recordings were their first. Mine was both disks of Opus 76 by the Carmina Quartet on Denon.  Bought them new in 1995, still have them (and play them) today. Imprinting in action! :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

JBS

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 05, 2019, 05:16:01 PM
Sweet. I wonder if everyone recalls exactly which Haydn Quartets recordings were their first. Mine was both disks of Opus 76 by the Carmina Quartet on Denon.  Bought them new in 1995, still have them (and play them) today. Imprinting in action! :D

8)

Mine was also Opus 76, but the Kodaly Quartet recordings on Naxos.  Bought them at Borders. Don't remember the year.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Daverz

Sweet. I wonder if everyone recalls exactly which Haydn Quartets recordings were their first.

Quartetto Italiano on a Quintessence Lp.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: JBS on August 05, 2019, 05:26:13 PM
Mine was also Opus 76, but the Kodaly Quartet recordings on Naxos.  Bought them at Borders. Don't remember the year.

That was my second set. Actually, I bought one of those Naxos White Box things and they were in it. I always liked the Kodaly Quartet, even though the Carminas were my first and favorite Op 76. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Daverz on August 05, 2019, 06:46:12 PM
Quartetto Italiano on a Quintessence Lp.

Cool. I've never heard the Italianos play Haydn, I suspect the LP's weren't ported over to CD?  Did you like them?

8)

Daverz

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 05, 2019, 06:59:15 PM
Cool. I've never heard the Italianos play Haydn, I suspect the LP's weren't ported over to CD?

I believe these particular recordings came out on an Accord CD (which I also have).   They later recorded a few Haydn quartets for Philips (now in a Decca box).

Did you like them?
8)

Yes, loved these recordings and played this Lp a lot back then.

Jo498

Novalis used to be not really budget, I think, but lots of their older recordings somehow became budget already many years ago.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Jo498

I remember the first LPs with symphonies owned by my father when I first started listening to classical ca. 1987. That was Dorati with 94/101 (with a kettledrum on the cover) and Collegium Aureum with 94/103 (with an historical engraving or picture of London). I do not recall the first quartet. Probably I listened to some tape of the "Emperor" before I owned any discs.

Among the first discs I remember was one with the Lindsays (opp.42, 64/5, 76/5) and op.20,4-6 with the Kodaly. I also had a cheap russian disc with op.76/5, op.74/3 and another one. This was ca. 95-96.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

aukhawk

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 05, 2019, 06:56:51 PM
That was my second set. Actually, I bought one of those Naxos White Box things and they were in it. I always liked the Kodaly Quartet, even though the Carminas were my first and favorite Op 76. :)      8)

You had me confused there for a moment, with the White Box - that was the Hungaroton budget label and featured the Bartok Quartet, I had their late Beethoven.  It's all so long ago and a bit of a blur !  ;D

My first Haydn quartets were also the Op.76 (1-3) from the Kodaly Quartet, along with the Seven Last Words.  I would have bought those around 1990 or soon after, I think. 
To my shame, I didn't explore further until the Chiaroscuro Quartet's Op.20 release of late 2017 - that really turned me on and prompted a more thorough exploration lasting much of 2018, courtesy mainly of the Mosaiques and the Buchbergers.  I like the 'early/middle' quartets the best - likewise with the symphonies really.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on August 06, 2019, 12:11:49 AM
I remember the first LPs with symphonies owned by my father when I first started listening to classical ca. 1987. That was Dorati with 94/101 (with a kettledrum on the cover) and Collegium Aureum with 94/103 (with an historical engraving or picture of London). I do not recall the first quartet. Probably I listened to some tape of the "Emperor" before I owned any discs.

Among the first discs I remember was one with the Lindsays (opp.42, 64/5, 76/5) and op.20,4-6 with the Kodaly. I also had a cheap russian disc with op.76/5, op.74/3 and another one. This was ca. 95-96.

My intro to Haydn came when I was quite young, on an LP with 94/100, although I'm damned if I can recall the performers, despite searching for images of the cover.  :'(

Actually, I was wondering whether The Emperor wasn't many people's first Haydn quartet, whether they actually recalled it or not! :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: aukhawk on August 06, 2019, 02:24:33 AM
You had me confused there for a moment, with the White Box - that was the Hungaroton budget label and featured the Bartok Quartet, I had their late Beethoven.  It's all so long ago and a bit of a blur !  ;D

My first Haydn quartets were also the Op.76 (1-3) from the Kodaly Quartet, along with the Seven Last Words.  I would have bought those around 1990 or soon after, I think. 
To my shame, I didn't explore further until the Chiaroscuro Quartet's Op.20 release of late 2017 - that really turned me on and prompted a more thorough exploration lasting much of 2018, courtesy mainly of the Mosaiques and the Buchbergers.  I like the 'early/middle' quartets the best - likewise with the symphonies really.

Naxos used to do that same thing, for example, I got the complete Mozart piano concertos by Jando in 2 of those white boxes. I guess they don't do it anymore. :-\

Well, the Chiaroscuro and Mosaiques certainly set you on the right track! It delights me that even today, people are sort of discovering how great these works are. I really never tire of listening to them!

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 06, 2019, 04:41:33 AM
Naxos used to do that same thing, for example, I got the complete Mozart piano concertos by Jando in 2 of those white boxes. I guess they don't do it anymore. :-\

Well, the Chiaroscuro and Mosaiques certainly set you on the right track! It delights me that even today, people are sort of discovering how great these works are. I really never tire of listening to them!

8)

No, indeed!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 05, 2019, 05:16:01 PMI wonder if everyone recalls exactly which Haydn Quartets recordings were their first.

My first was the Op.50 bought sometime in the late 70s in Akron Ohio where I was stationed as an Army recruiter. Still have the box set.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 06, 2019, 04:45:48 AM
My first was the Op.50 bought sometime in the late 70s in Akron Ohio where I was stationed as an Army recruiter. Still have the box set.

Sarge

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

First classical music I ever bought for myself. On cassette.

I bloody loved those cassettes.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 06, 2019, 04:45:48 AM

Sarge

Love that recording! You started out right on the top shelf, Sarge! :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Madiel on August 06, 2019, 05:15:53 AM
First classical music I ever bought for myself. On cassette.

I bloody loved those cassettes.

I started with cassettes too, although had graduated to CD's by the time I got into Haydn's SQ's. Something tells me I wouldn't be as happy with them now as I was then! :-\

8)

Jo498

Naxos had cassettes? Didn't know that!
I started listening on LPs but these were technically belonging to my father and I dubbed several on cassette tape for convenience. CDs were already on the horizon, still I bought a bunch of cassettes (I remember that Mozart 40+41 with Klemperer was one of the few I brought with me on a family holiday in 1988.) because we did not have a CD player yet and the discs were still quite expensive in ca. 1987. Whereas shops slowly got rid of MCs and LPs, so they were often rather inexpensive.
But I also recorded stuff from the radio and even when I had a player and some CDs I still had many dozens of cassettes with recordings from friend's CDs.
Hardly any Haydn, though; I admittedly neglected Haydn for years after getting to know a bunch of late symphonies, the trumpet concerto and a highlights LP of the Creation. I guess it was almost 10 years later in the second half of the 1990s that I got more involved with Haydn's music.
- Blaise Pascal

ritter

...I wonder if everyone recalls exactly which Haydn Quartets recordings were their first...
My first CD containing Haydn SQs was this:

[asin]B000005GL2[/asin]
I got it for the Berio, TBH, but of course the Haydn were a wonderful bonus. Since then, I've purchased the (incomplete) Schneider Quartet traversal (reissued by Music & Arts), which I have greatly enjoyed, and also have the Buchberger SQ cycle included in the Brilliant mega-box (a cycle which IIRC, I still haven't explored).

JBS

Thinking further....the Kodaly Op 76 may have been my second Haydn quartet purchase.  I got this set  just about the same time, and can't remember which came first.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk