Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Keyboard Concerti - in the Hoboken catalog, Haydn has 11 KB Concerti listed (XVIII:1-11 - shown in the lower table); currently I own the 2 recordings imaged below - Brautigam performs Nos. 2,3,4,11 on fortepiano and Schornsheim 1-5,8,10,11 on organ (1,8,10), harpsichord (2,3,5) or fortepiano (4,11) - Nos. 6,7,9 are missing from my collection and neither disc includes modern piano.  So, curious what others own and/or would recommend.  Thanks.  Dave :)

Jo498

I guess 6,7 and 9 are somewhat doubtful, therefore missing in some collections. Admittedly, I have not really collected these works and the only one I know well is the famous No 11. But I do have 9 with Knauer on Naxos (+3,4,11 on modern instruments), 6 (with Staier on historical instruments + 4 and 11) and 7 with Pletnev on modern piano (+4, 11, aslo twofer with sonatas). All of these should be readily available.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

JBS

(Mostly) Modern instruments
[asin]B001NZA0GK[/asin]
The concertos for lyra organizzato are performed in their woodwinds version (two recorders, two flutes, or flute and oboe)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

SonicMan46

Quote from: Jo498 on March 09, 2020, 12:35:04 PM
I guess 6,7 and 9 are somewhat doubtful, therefore missing in some collections. Admittedly, I have not really collected these works and the only one I know well is the famous No 11. But I do have 9 with Knauer on Naxos (+3,4,11 on modern instruments), 6 (with Staier on historical instruments + 4 and 11) and 7 with Pletnev on modern piano (+4, 11, aslo twofer with sonatas). All of these should be readily available.

Thanks - in the box below (just shown in the previous post), all 11 KB concertos are listed at ArkivMusic, although No. 6 is described as "Concerto for Keyboard and Violin in F major, H 18 no 6 by Franz Joseph Haydn" - will peruse Amazon to see what might be available on a modern piano (the recordings in the Naxos box use different instruments, including piano).  Dave

Madiel

No.6 is a double concerto, not truly a keyboard concerto, so that's one reason why it often isn't present.

No.7 is parallel to a piano trio but with a different slow movement.

No.9 is doubtful.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SonicMan46

Haydn - Piano Trios - I own the first 3 box sets shown below (8 to 10 discs/box) - I use to have some of the Beaux Arts recordings, available in the box shown but decided that I liked the modern instrument group Haydn Trio Eisenstadt better, but a personal call since the revered older trio is often held up as the standard for these works.  Trio 1790 & the Van Swieten Trio are period instrument groups; I've been listening to selective discs from my 3 boxes for a few days and have decided to keep all - personally, I feel that one MI & one PI set should be part of a Haydn collection, but that's just me; now, should I re-add the Beaux Arts Trio, probably not but others would likely disagree.  Reviews attached for those interested.  Dave :)

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 10, 2020, 11:03:14 AM
should I re-add the Beaux Arts Trio

You shouldn't have culled them in the first place.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SonicMan46

Quote from: Florestan on March 10, 2020, 02:46:12 PM

Hi Andrei - well, there are just so many sets a septuagenarian can listen to of one of many composers - and if you've not heard the Haydn Trio Eisenstadt in these Trios, then the BRTrio has some stiff competition - :)  Dave

George

Quote from: Florestan on March 10, 2020, 02:46:12 PM

Flowers in vase FTW.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

JBS

I think you are fine with what you have now. BAT is good, but not so unique that they can't be done without.

If you want to expand your options, try these two CDs from Trio Wanderer
[asin]B079BJV362[/asin]
[asin]B001M5AT8A[/asin]

Jo498

I also think you are well-served with your Trio boxes. The Eisenstadt unfortunately went oop quickly but it is the only complete recording on modern instruments since the BeauxArts, so this is deplorable.
For something rather different, you could try one of the 4? or so discs on harmonia mundi with Cohen/Höbarth/Coin who are more slowly, lyrical, "Schubertian" than the 1790 or Swieten. There is also a good disc with late trios with Levin/Bylsma/Beths that might be the most lively and extrovert of the HIP offerings. Two more good single discs war with Schiff and friends
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

The Florestan Trio also did 2 discs on Hyperion.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on March 11, 2020, 01:54:24 AM
I also think you are well-served with your Trio boxes. The Eisenstadt unfortunately went oop quickly but it is the only complete recording on modern instruments since the BeauxArts, so this is deplorable.
For something rather different, you could try one of the 4? or so discs on harmonia mundi with Cohen/Höbarth/Coin who are more slowly, lyrical, "Schubertian" than the 1790 or Swieten. There is also a good disc with late trios with Levin/Bylsma/Beths that might be the most lively and extrovert of the HIP offerings. Two more good single discs war with Schiff and friends

This is the same advice I would have given you. I like to think I have every HIP disk of the Trios, and the ones Jo mentions rise to the top. Actually, there are 6 disks in that "Mosaiques Trio" (my name, not theirs) set, although one of them is the 3 flute trio (15-17).  Another excellent one is Trio Goya:

Also, don't overlook the early ones. There are 2 disks in that Trio 1790 set, but there are also these, which are superbly played:

As it happens, I am a big fan of the early music, if you are too, this is one to have.

I don't know about any of the MI disks, I do have some by those same players (Florestan, Wanderer etc.) on newer music, like Schubert & Dvorak, and their playing is excellent, so I would expect nothing less in their Haydn.  As for your BAT question, if I collected disks for their historic value, that's a box I wouldn't be without. Is that a politic enough reply for you? :D :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Thanks All for the comments and suggestions on the Piano Trios - I did listen to Trio Wanderer on Spotify and enjoyed - will likely also listen to the others, if available (however, cannot find the two CDs mentioned by Gurn there, unfortunately).  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Haydn & Others - Trumpet Concertos - amazed that I've accumulated so many but Papa Joe wrote just one, so combination w/ other trumpet works (or other instruments as in the Pinnock) makes for interesting mixes, although Hummel seems to be a common choice - I've been adding these to my collection, probably starting w/ Marsalis shortly after buying my first CD player (1984) - now there are plenty of other options - this mix includes both modern trumpets and the older keyed instruments; reviews attached.  Dave :)

Jo498

I always tend to forget how many " Trio Mosaiques" (Cohen, Höbarth, Coin) discs there are because I have only one (12-14; I had another one I got rid of during some slim down phase because it was three late trios I had so many recordings of). They are certainly different with there warm luxurious sound and leisurely tempi whereas 1790 and Swieten Trio are not that different from each other (with the obvious exception that the former plays the first dozen or so with harpsichord like Asperen et al.)

I am quite satisfied with what I have although it is somewhat disappointing that most anthologies focus on the same handful of late trios. I have the Van Swieten and most (6 of 8) of the 1790 as well as the two discs with Schiff & friends, the Wanderer 43-45, the Levin/Beths/Bylsma, two with the Eisenstadt (in their earlier single discs issues, a nice mix of pieces from different periods), one with the Brahms-Trio Weimar (a ca. 1980 GDR recording and a sentimental favorite) and about two more one-disc-recitals with the Abegg-Trio and the Trio Fontenay
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on March 11, 2020, 10:59:32 AM
I always tend to forget how many " Trio Mosaiques" (Cohen, Höbarth, Coin) discs there are because I have only one (12-14; I had another one I got rid of during some slim down phase because it was three late trios I had so many recordings of). They are certainly different with there warm luxurious sound and leisurely tempi whereas 1790 and Swieten Trio are not that different from each other (with the obvious exception that the former plays the first dozen or so with harpsichord like Asperen et al.)

I am quite satisfied with what I have although it is somewhat disappointing that most anthologies focus on the same handful of late trios. I have the Van Swieten and most (6 of 8) of the 1790 as well as the two discs with Schiff & friends, the Wanderer 43-45, the Levin/Beths/Bylsma, two with the Eisenstadt (in their earlier single discs issues, a nice mix of pieces from different periods), one with the Brahms-Trio Weimar (a ca. 1980 GDR recording and a sentimental favorite) and about two more one-disc-recitals with the Abegg-Trio and the Trio Fontenay

Jo, here is another of the late Trios, possibly the best of the bunch, although that is always subject to personal opinion:

I don't consider the Trio 1790 & the Van Swieten's to be equivalent, I feel like 1790 have more élan in their performances than any other group I've heard. There again, that's just me. Of those you've listed (other than L'Archibudelli, 1790 and Van Swieten) are any of them PI? I'm thinking not, although the Schiff could be. If so, then I've missed one... :o

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

JBS

Mention of Trio Fontenay jogged my memory. I have this set (OOP apparently)

Manze, ter Linden, Mathot do Hob. XV:9-12.
Helasvuo [flute], Kartunnen, Hakkila do Hob. XV:15-17.
Trio Fontenay do Hob. XV:18/21/25/30, the only MI CD in this set.
The first two CDs in the set are the recordings by Asperen and company that Gurn showed.

Jo498

No, Schiff is on modern instrument.
I think he did one Schubert Trio on a fortepiano but the two Haydn discs are modern. As for the Fontenay, I have it as an oddball Ultima twofer with an early recording of two quartets (Rider and Kaiser) with the ABQ. AFAIR I liked it quite a bit, especially because the A major #18 is a special favorite of mine while I could do well with only half of my recordings of the "gypsy" trio #25.

as for 1790 vs. Van Swieten, I used to find the differences rather small, at times not being too happy with the fortepiano sound of the former. In any case the Van Swieten (with van Oort on keyboard) is very competitive for the bargain price.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

I'm making notes about some of the modern instrument versions for future sampling (I already have the Florestan Trio discs I mentioned but would like more works).

With the best will in the world I can't abide the period piano of groups like Van Swieten or Trio 1790 (I just tried again with iTunes samples). I'd rather have a harpsichord if anything.