Scion7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq973BoUzpg
"On the track of composers: Josef Haydn"

Smokin 'im Jungenzimmer
Smokin 'im Jungenzimmer
Nun, Lehrer, füllen Sie mich nicht mit Ihren Regeln
Weil jeder weiß, dass Rauchen in der Schule nicht erlaubt ist
  -- attested to 14 yr old Haydn
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Another rare appearance by me on this thread. This CD was sent to me in error (instead of Sir Arthur Bliss's Oboe Quintet  ::)). Anyway, the company told me to keep it and I'm currently enjoying Symphony No.31. It certainly makes a nice change and my wife will not object to it:

And I just bought this one:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

Quote from: vandermolen on December 01, 2020, 03:20:29 AM
It certainly makes a nice change and my wife will not object to it:

Healthy musical diet...  8)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Gurn Blanston

Another rare appearance by me on this thread. This CD was sent to me in error (instead of Sir Arthur Bliss's Oboe Quintet  ::)). Anyway, the company told me to keep it and I'm currently enjoying Symphony No.31. It certainly makes a nice change and my wife will not object to it:

Sadly I can't see any pictures in your post (it's the same old problem, apparently my browser rather than yours), but I can certainly see anyone enjoying Symphony #31, the horn work alone is worth the price of admission!  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Scion7

" makes a nice change and my wife will not object to it "

...  I take it she is bombarded with ye olde Potemkin day 'n' night, mate?   :P
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

vandermolen

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 01, 2020, 08:43:06 AM
Sadly I can't see any pictures in your post (it's the same old problem, apparently my browser rather than yours), but I can certainly see anyone enjoying Symphony #31, the horn work alone is worth the price of admission!  :)

8)

Here's one of them Gurn (the other one is in the same series).
Totally agree about Symphony No.31 which I've already played several times:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-Symphonies-Nos-Hornsignal-Farewell/dp/B000003CUK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=289ZFD070JLZ7&dchild=1&keywords=haydn+mackerras&qid=1606849318&s=music&sprefix=haydn+mackerras%2Caps%2C150&sr=1-3
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Scion7 on December 01, 2020, 08:55:28 AM
" makes a nice change and my wife will not object to it "

...  I take it she is bombarded with ye olde Potemkin day 'n' night, mate?   :P

Something like that - you have a good understanding.  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: vandermolen on December 01, 2020, 10:03:57 AM
Here's one of them Gurn (the other one is in the same series).
Totally agree about Symphony No.31 which I've already played several times:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Haydn-Symphonies-Nos-Hornsignal-Farewell/dp/B000003CUK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=289ZFD070JLZ7&dchild=1&keywords=haydn+mackerras&qid=1606849318&s=music&sprefix=haydn+mackerras%2Caps%2C150&sr=1-3

Ah, I had one of those Orchestra of St. Luke's disks:

back in the days before I went straight HIP. It was my favorite among the modern instruments versions I had, and I am very fond of MacKerras in any case. Sweet!

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

vandermolen

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 01, 2020, 10:57:27 AM
Ah, I had one of those Orchestra of St. Luke's disks:

back in the days before I went straight HIP. It was my favorite among the modern instruments versions I had, and I am very fond of MacKerras in any case. Sweet!

8)
That's the other one that I just ordered. Yes, Mackerras was a fine conductor and I particularly enjoyed his recordings of Walton's symphonies, Brian's 7th Symphony and Suk's 'Asrael Symphony'.

Brian

The next volume of Antonini's cycle is due in January and features Symphonies 15, 35, 45, and "Scena di Berenice" with Sandrine Piau. Il Giardino Armonico.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on December 02, 2020, 07:25:06 AM
The next volume of Antonini's cycle is due in January and features Symphonies 15, 35, 45, and "Scena di Berenice" with Sandrine Piau. Il Giardino Armonico.

Nice. At the pace they are coming out, it will be a push to see the cycle by 2032... :-\

8)

Biffo

It is a shame they didn't send you a mint copy of Symphonies No 80 & 81 from the same forces, there is one for sale on Amazon for £1201.53 (used copies start at £9.01).

I have just been listening to Mackerras in No 31 via Spotify. I have a gap in my Haydn symphonies from No 31 to No 51 - this may help to fill it though Amazon only have it as mp3 download.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on December 02, 2020, 08:13:58 AM
It is a shame they didn't send you a mint copy of Symphonies No 80 & 81 from the same forces, there is one for sale on Amazon for £1201.53 (used copies start at £9.01).

I have just been listening to Mackerras in No 31 via Spotify. I have a gap in my Haydn symphonies from No 31 to No 51 - this may help to fill it though Amazon only have it as mp3 download.

No. 31 is my favourite of the few that I know, especially the opening movement. It was sent to me in error by Momox instead of Bliss's Oboe Quintet (also on Telarc). Pity I can't sell it for £1000 but I'm happy with the CD and ordered nos 101 and 104 by the same forces.

calyptorhynchus

Vandermolen's mention of the Hornsignal Symphony prompted me to listen to it again, and also listen to those other three symphonies written within a few years of each other that also feature 4 horns.

In order of composition they are Symphonies 30, 31, 37 and 40, but in an amusing illustration of how stupid the traditional numbering is the traditional numbers are: 72, 13, 31 and 39 respectively.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Madiel

I've probably asked this before, but... who's good for Symphonies 76-78 and 79-81?

I'm looking at Adam Fischer. I gather that the relevant box (70-81) is one of the better ones in his series because it was recorded later in the project.

I just find it baffling that these trios of symphonies are so underrepresented compared to the Paris and London sets, when they're the other 'public' symphonies that Haydn wrote once his relationship with the Esterhazys changed.

And then you have annoying situations like Dantone recording 78-81 to fill out a box set, meaning that 76-77 aren't available unless you plump for that entire box set, because they were only ever on an obscure BBC music magazine disc.

I know Goodman did 76-78, but I don't really want his harpsichord. And he didn't do 79-81 anyway.

So... any suggestions besides Fischer, or is Fischer a good option?

EDIT: I also know about Naxos single CDs (could get a few), and there's a Hungaroton one of 79-81 but I'm not sure how good it is.

SECOND EDIT: And it seems the Haydn 2032 projects has done 79-81, though not all in one volume.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

76-81 are among the best in the uneven Fischer cycle, I think. (This is from memory but I did compare most of Haydn's symphonies about 10 years ago around the anniversary, often even taking notes )

The Naxos is a mixed bag, I thought Müller-Brühl pretty good in 81 but mannered in 80 (he is overdoing the rests and rubato in the first movement, I think), I don't think I have heard the others (Ward does 77-79 and Müller-Brühl 74-76).

I rather liked Goodman in 76-78, I guess I found them good enough to keep despite the overprominent harpsichord.

I have not heard the Dantone but it is still findable as a twofer (if my Haydn shelves weren't as full, I'd be tempted...)

[asin]B017MZSL74[/asin]

80 is the best covered discographically (there is even an ancient recording with Scherchen from the 1950s) and probably also the most interesting piece of these 2x3.
My overall favorite of 79-81 is maybe Orpheus CO on DG but it is spread over 3 discs, all usually oop (the best of which is 22/80/63, I think), their 77 is also good although the main fault of Orpheus (perfect playing but a bit faceless) might be a bit more evident here (and more so in the discmate 44). (Have not heard their 78 and they didn't get to 76)

But if you can find a partial box of Fischer's at a reasonable price, it is certainly a very good option.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Thanks. I'd forgotten about the Orpheus ones but if they didn't do all 6 of the ones I want they won't be a priority.

I have definitely seen that copies of Fischer's mini-boxes are still around, so I'm hopeful I can find the 70-81 box. Of course getting a full set is always an option but I'd rather not. I'm pretty happy with the Hogwood set for numbers 1-75.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

I am not the greatest fan of Hogwood but he is very consistent, very complete with some alternative versions and at least in the older issues with very good comments and documentation (I have 4 of these 3-disc boxes with fat double jewelcases and booklets that take up way too much space).

I got Fischer complete on Brilliant when it was first issued as a complete box many years ago because it was so cheap and even after years of collecting I still had gaps for Haydn symphonies.
Fischer is inconsistent in several respects, recorded sound, playing quality and style of interpretation. Fischer got more and more HIP-influenced during the cycle, usually to the advantage of the music although the playing is a bit rough sometimes and he takes some liberties even most HIPists would not (like unmarked string soli in trios or so). But it usually does not feel mannered, in any case much better than his often rather faceless early recordings. As he did not progress strictly chronologically or numerically this has some "shocks" if one listens to the Brilliant issue that keeps the numerical order. E.g. 21 is a great recording while the early 22 is quite boring, 39 highly dramatic, as good as any of the period instrument recordings, 45 lukewarm. But I think the "70s" are all rather late recordings.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Yes, the 70-81 recordings are all later on. About 1997-98, when he started in the late 1980s and ended around 2001.

I found a review that listed all the recording years because I was already aware that the series is widely considered to have got much better than it went. Apparently even by Fischer himself! He's reported to have commented he wished he could go back and redo the symphonies he recorded at the start.

Jo498

I have not heard any of Adam Fischer's more recent stuff, but as far as I recall he remade a bunch of late Haydn for another label and both these and also the Danish recording of the complete Mozart symphonies were very favorably received.
I guess one shouldn't complain nowadays with Dantone and the Haydn 2032 project  and a few other odds and ends around but it still feels that these pieces are not as well covered on disc as one could expect. (This roughly holds for anything without a nickname from 54 to 81 but some got it worse, partly because Hogwood and Goodman did never get to them.)
When I first tried to get these pieces in the early 2000s, it was really frustrating as the Hogwood 3-disc-boxes were usually quite expensive, Fischer's Nimbus had some very mixed reviews and also limited availability, so I ended up getting the Naxos recordings for a few of these pieces.
- Blaise Pascal