Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Quote from: Madiel on December 22, 2020, 08:00:11 PM
Then continue to enjoy your listening.

I mention the headphones because they may have a tendency to "dry" things out a bit, and to give a reference point for playback, not to supersede anyone else's observations.

Madiel

Quote from: Daverz on December 22, 2020, 08:13:53 PM
I mention the headphones because they may have a tendency to "dry" things out a bit, and to give a reference point for playback, not to supersede anyone else's observations.

It is definitely true that different equipment will give different experiences.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brass Hole

Quote from: Madiel on December 22, 2020, 04:19:37 PM
If you look for reviews of Haydn op.54 you're liable to keep finding reviews about the London Haydn Quartet- many of them enthusiastic. But (like Classics Today as it happens) I find their sound horrible.

Knowing this would have prevented me from recommending any Haydn to you anyway :). Good luck.

Jo498

The Juilliard is redorded extremely dry and direct like most of their recordings from the time. Certainly not for everyone and there is also music where I find it rather unpleasant but the energy of this particular recording is irrestible to me.
Auryn should always be a very good option, they are too expensive for me and while very good I didn't find them special enough to shell out for more than two volumes (17 and 33, and I accidentally also have their older op.71).

op.54 (and 55) seems a very diverse and varied collection. op.54#1 is one of the most extrovert and virtuoso pieces, the most popular of the bunch, I think. #2 was singled out by Hurwitz as the most daring Haydn quartet which is only a little exaggerated. In any case it is very unusual with the slow finale and the gypsy solo in the slow movement and also the tight connection of the inner movements (although Haydn did this already in op.20#2). #3 is the most "regular" without obvious "special effects". They are hard pieces to make completely boring but that doesn't mean it is easy to make them their best.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Camphy

This was mentioned a few pages back. It might be worth sampling. I was also thinking of the Leipzig Quartet, but it seems like they haven't recorded Op. 54 yet.

Daverz

Quote from: Camphy on December 23, 2020, 07:07:38 AM

This was mentioned a few pages back. It might be worth sampling. I was also thinking of the Leipzig Quartet, but it seems they haven't recorded Op. 54 yet.

Hmmm, Amazon says "Haydn: String Quartets Op.54 by Sacconi Quartet
Quatuor Ysaÿe".  That's not confusing.  And it's yours for only $969 plus $3.99 shipping.

Europadisc confirms that it's the Sacconi Quartet and will sell it to you for $12.61.

Madiel

I did listen to the Sacconi at some point, not bad though perhaps they throw in some harsh accents.

I've discovered I can probably get the Endellion op.54 on its own, for a fair bit cheaper than the 2CD combination of opp.54 & 74.

So I'm currently resampling my existing op.74 of Kodaly... which to my ears has far more energy and sparkle than Kodaly's op.54. I'm not inclined to think I really need an alternative. Although who knows, it could just be about what I ate for breakfast and the weather.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

staxomega

Quote from: Daverz on December 22, 2020, 07:50:49 PM
Listening to the Auryn's Op. 54 with Sennheiser HD-650 headphones, the resonance does not seem excessive to me.

That is what I use for headphones as well, after down grading from a Stax SR-009 system since I wasn't using it much. Quad ESL57 or Harbeth SHL5 for speakers. At least for me overly resonant recordings are more annoying on headphones than on speakers. Like one particular pianist that recorded truly exceptional Chopin Nocturnes and Mazurkas, both recordings are resonant so I pretty much never listen to them on headphones.

Back to Haydn, I've now caught up on Hurwitz's "Haydn Symphony Schlep", of all his videos his ones on Haydn are the most interesting to me as he knows the music very well and has quite the enthusiasm for them.  And finally getting Dorati's cycle, I don't know why I avoided Dorati or never even bothered sampling it in the past... it's Dorati, he wasn't going to drag his feet in Haydn ala Bohm or Karajan! I think too much average to below average non-HIP in the symphonies just had me burned out on wanting to hear more. But this has the verticalness and pacing of my favorite HIP performances with more meat.

Scion7

Gurn - confirmed recording date for the Haydn piece? (the Hoffmeister is from 1968.)

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scion7 on January 02, 2021, 01:53:03 PM
Gurn - confirmed recording date for the Haydn piece? (the Hoffmeister is from 1968.)

No, sorry. I haven't heard any as old as that. My own oldest is Koopman on Philips from ca. 1980. :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Scion7

<-- Hungarian Union of the Danube hegemony 2022

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 02, 2021, 02:30:17 PM
No, sorry. I haven't heard any as old as that. My own oldest is Koopman on Philips from ca. 1980.

I thought you were maintaining the world's largest online Haydn recording database?  ???
I'm shocked and depressed more than Cromwell not finishing the job ... le sigh.  :-[ :-X :P

www.republic.org.uk

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scion7 on January 02, 2021, 02:56:15 PM
<-- Hungarian Union of the Danube hegemony 2022

I thought you were maintaining the world's largest online Haydn recording database?  ???
I'm shocked and depressed more than Cromwell not finishing the job ... le sigh.  :-[ :-X :P

www.republic.org.uk

I only have period instrument recordings. At that, I do have pretty much all of them, although I'm sure there is one or two here and there that I've missed.  I have very few modern instruments, and I haven't done any research on them.  :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 22, 2021, 07:02:53 AM
For the glancing reference:

Review: Danish String Quartet serves up Nordic treats along with Mozart

Recorded in Copenhagen... reviewed by a Bostonian... for a southern audience.  My head is spinning!

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on February 22, 2021, 12:39:25 PM
Recorded in Copenhagen... reviewed by a Bostonian... for a southern audience.  My head is spinning!

Take 'er easy!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Daverz

Quote from: Florestan on December 22, 2020, 04:24:31 PM
I very much enjoy the Kodalyi's.

:D

I suspect if the Kodaly's were on some obscure, expensive label they'd get more respect.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Daverz on February 22, 2021, 06:06:33 PM
I suspect if the Kodaly's were on some obscure, expensive label they'd get more respect.

Something in that, of  course!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

The Heidelberg Symphony has appointed Johannes Klumpp successor to Thomas Fey and will soon be releasing Klumpp's first installment in the Haydn symphony cycle. Additionally, the Fey biography on their website now says in bold text that Fey will be permanently unable to return to music.  :(

Madiel

That is sad, and also not entirely a surprise.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on July 20, 2021, 07:04:49 AM
The Heidelberg Symphony has appointed Johannes Klumpp successor to Thomas Fey and will soon be releasing Klumpp's first installment in the Haydn symphony cycle. Additionally, the Fey biography on their website now says in bold text that Fey will be permanently unable to return to music.  :(

Alas!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA