The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Haydn's Haus

<< < (2516/2520) > >>

Florestan:

--- Quote from: Madiel on October 16, 2021, 01:56:02 AM ---There aren't all that many options for opp.1 and 2

--- End quote ---

I've recently listened to Opp. 1 & 2 played by the Kodaly Quartet and was mightily impressed.

Pohjolas Daughter:
I'm currently enjoying a glorious and touching recording of Haydn's The Creation.  This one:

with a number of my favorite singers.  I owned this recording for several years, but confess that I hadn't gotten around to playing it 'til now.  It's absolutely gorgeous!  What wonderful lyrics too!  As my set doesn't contain any info re the work itself (though thankfully, it does have the texts and translations) can anyone here shed further light on it?  From what I could glean from Wiki,  the texts were from Gottfried van Swieten which in turn was based on John Milton's poem "Paradise Lost".  Does this sound about right?

The first section/part really resonated with me--loved the description of the creation of the world and all of the animals....moved to tears by Janowitz's singing of the birds and about the nightingale and the "No sorrow weighs as yet upon her breast, as yet no note of sadness sounds in her lovely song."

Gorgeous singing all around.  Great way to start the day.   :)

PD

Gurn Blanston:

--- Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 04, 2021, 05:16:52 AM ---I'm currently enjoying a glorious and touching recording of Haydn's The Creation.  This one:

with a number of my favorite singers.  I owned this recording for several years, but confess that I hadn't gotten around to playing it 'til now.  It's absolutely gorgeous!  What wonderful lyrics too!  As my set doesn't contain any info re the work itself (though thankfully, it does have the texts and translations) can anyone here shed further light on it?  From what I could glean from Wiki,  the texts were from Gottfried van Swieten which in turn was based on John Milton's poem "Paradise Lost".  Does this sound about right?

The first section/part really resonated with me--loved the description of the creation of the world and all of the animals....moved to tears by Janowitz's singing of the birds and about the nightingale and the "No sorrow weighs as yet upon her breast, as yet no note of sadness sounds in her lovely song."

Gorgeous singing all around.  Great way to start the day.   :)

PD

--- End quote ---

Hey , PD. Creation really is a great piece of music, for certain. I've written 3 or 4 essays about it, and they contain all the info currently available, along with bibliography. Here is the first one, the others follow along. Hope they have what you're looking for. 

https://www.fjhaydn.com/my-blog/2018/08/1798-the-music-part-1.html

🤠😎

Pohjolas Daughter:

--- Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 04, 2021, 06:43:43 AM ---Hey , PD. Creation really is a great piece of music, for certain. I've written 3 or 4 essays about it, and they contain all the info currently available, along with bibliography. Here is the first one, the others follow along. Hope they have what you're looking for. 

https://www.fjhaydn.com/my-blog/2018/08/1798-the-music-part-1.html

🤠😎

--- End quote ---
Thanks Mike!  I'll read them a bit later today.   :)

PD

Symphonic Addict:
Independently of whether I agree or not with Hurwitz regarding what he thinks and put on his videos, I do admit that his Haydn symphony traversal is becoming an important achievement on Youtube. I enjoy much of his content, albeit I disagree with many of his assessments.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version