Author Topic: Haydn's Haus  (Read 1480035 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Haydn's Haus
« Reply #12740 on: May 18, 2022, 12:22:28 AM »
Another one which caught my attention in 64/1 were Auryn. Probably not for me but nevertheless nuanced and fresh, though I don’t believe it sustains my interest - even across a single movement -  as well as London Haydn.

Buchberger also, but by this time I was hardly paying serious attention.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #12741 on: May 18, 2022, 12:35:27 AM »
I'd have to re-listen to the Caspar da Salo but they are rather slow in the first two movements of this piece but in a relaxed, "genial" way I find appealing for this quartet and they are, IRRC bouncy and funny in the Scherzando (and skip most repeats there, so that it lasts only about 4 min.)
It's an unassuming but interesting quartet. The first movement has basically a second development section in the recap/coda with comparably remote (A flat, I think) modulations and a little fugato.
I once looked at the tempi of different recordings and it seemed possible to take quarter(1)=quarter(2)=eighth note(3) ~140 bpm for the first three movements although this might exaggerate the lack of contrast. According to my notes the Caspar da Salo play ca. 130, 144, 152, i.e. they get faster in each movement whereas Festetics have ca. 144, 132, 132. (I didn't have the Mosaiques back then.)
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #12742 on: May 20, 2022, 11:56:14 AM »
I have just discovered op 64/3. This is interesting music.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #12743 on: May 20, 2022, 10:29:34 PM »
#3 might be my favorite of op.64, especially the hilarious 1st movement.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #12744 on: May 21, 2022, 02:05:09 AM »
#3 might be my favorite of op.64, especially the hilarious 1st movement.

Indeed. I've heard this style before in Haydn.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 02:07:16 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #12745 on: May 21, 2022, 05:28:49 AM »
And London Haydn once again a revelation.

Offline calyptorhynchus

• Veteran member
« Reply #12746 on: July 03, 2022, 06:58:48 PM »
Haydn is such a great composer because there is always new Haydn to listen to. Just listening to the Baryton Divertimentos (Octets). Some wonderful music here.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #12747 on: July 04, 2022, 04:42:25 AM »
Haydn is such a great composer because there is always new Haydn to listen to. Just listening to the Baryton Divertimentos (Octets). Some wonderful music here.

always new Haydn, and always worthwhile!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline calyptorhynchus

• Veteran member
« Reply #12748 on: July 04, 2022, 12:58:21 PM »
Not the only reason why he's such a great composer, of course  ;D

DavidW

« Reply #12749 on: July 05, 2022, 07:08:17 AM »

Yes those are wonderful works.  I should revisit them.  I've been busy relistening to symphonies and piano trios.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's Twitter
« Reply #12750 on: July 05, 2022, 07:25:54 AM »

This is an enjoyable recording of Haydn violin concertos for a few reasons:
1. the pairing, with a new string orchestra rendering of Stravinsky's "Divertimento" (originally for violin and piano, and before that originally a ballet)
2. the tasteful cadenzas, by Anner Bijlsma in No. 1 and by the soloist in No. 4
3. the quasi-HIP hybrid performance style
4. the ad hoc chamber orchestra, assembled specially for this session during the pandemic
5. the chamber orchestra's name and pedigree - it's named after the street where Bijlsma and Vera Beths live, because almost all the players are former students of Vera Beths and they gathered together to release this album in her honor

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #12751 on: July 12, 2022, 02:59:10 AM »
So I've just been listening for the first time to the Quatour Mosaiques performance of op.76/3 - the "Emperor" quartet.

But it's the liner notes that blew my mind.

What I already knew is that the 2nd movement is a theme and variations on Haydn's own composition that is now the German national anthem. But the mind-blowing part? The original hymn was called Gott erhalte Franz den Kaiser, and the 1st movement starts with, and is built around, the motif G-E-F-D-C.

Plus the 3rd and 4th movements start with forms of the same motif.

Now, sometimes I think people are drawing long bows when they find this sort of thing, but I have to admit that in this case I'm fairly convinced. How did I not know about this before?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #12752 on: July 12, 2022, 04:35:41 AM »
So I've just been listening for the first time to the Quatour Mosaiques performance of op.76/3 - the "Emperor" quartet.

What I already knew is that the 2nd movement is a theme and variations on Haydn's own composition that is now the German national anthem. But the mind-blowing part? The original hymn was called Gott erhalte Franz den Kaiser, and the 1st movement starts with, and is built around, the motif G-E-F-D-C.

Now, sometimes I think people are drawing long bows when they find this sort of thing, but I have to admit that in this case I'm fairly convinced. How did I not know about this before?

Thanks! Fact is, it's new to me, as well. (I guess I haven't read the notes)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #12753 on: July 12, 2022, 05:50:25 AM »

A reminder that I should always read the liner notes. Thanks for the info, Madiel. I have the Quatour Mosaiques box set of Haydn SQ but I don't even know if there are liner notes included.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Constantin Silvestri (1913-1969)
« Reply #12754 on: July 12, 2022, 05:55:53 AM »
I knew about the "Gott erhalte Franz den Kaiser" fact but not about the g-e-f-d-c one. Looks like Haydn pioneered a lot more things than he is credited for.

The lyrics continue "Unsern guten Kaiser Franz", but actually Francis was not exactly your typical "good Franz", or at least he didn't look like one.

Anything but a good-humoured nature, anything but Haydnesque.  Go ahead, ask this "good king" for a constitution. ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 05:57:41 AM by Florestan »
"I’ve always said music should make you laugh, make you cry or make you think." - Kenny Rogers

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
    something between my ears
« Reply #12755 on: July 12, 2022, 09:39:49 AM »
I knew about the "Gott erhalte Franz den Kaiser" fact but not about the g-e-f-d-c one. Looks like Haydn pioneered a lot more things than he is credited for.

The lyrics continue "Unsern guten Kaiser Franz", but actually Francis was not exactly your typical "good Franz", or at least he didn't look like one.

Anything but a good-humoured nature, anything but Haydnesque.  Go ahead, ask this "good king" for a constitution. ;D

Remind's me of that painting from Ghostbusters II... Vigo, wasn't it?
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #12756 on: July 12, 2022, 10:31:36 AM »

I am really embarrassed because I had read this before (maybe in these very liner notes because I have had the Mosaiques op.76 since about 15 years...) but I totally forgot about it... Maybe because although I know this text of the old Emperor hymn my main association is of course the modern German national anthem text (written in the mid-19th century and in practice reduced to the 3rd stanza as the first one is deemed to nationalist and the 2nd too old fashioned and a bit silly).
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #12757 on: July 31, 2022, 11:06:15 PM »
I just noticed that Bavouzet has released his 11th, and last, volume of piano sonatas.

Now, the big question is, how long do I wait for news of a box...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!