Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 17, 2022, 08:37:09 PM
Hey everyone

I'm convinced that at some point, can't remember when, I read, in a library, some of a book by H C Robbins Landon which was about 200-300 pages long, called The Symphonies on Joseph Haydn or something like that and had a short chapter devoted to each symphony.

And yet I can't find any mention of a work like this in Robbins Landon's oeuvre.

It might have been by someone else, but it was quite an old book (60s or 70s) and not too many people were writing in English then about Haydn except HCRL.

What was the book I was looking at?

I googled and immediately came up with used copies of  "Haydn Symphonies" by H.C. Robbins Landon for sale. So I don't know why you're not finding it.

Or if that's not the one you want, there is "The Symphonies of Joseph Haydn" which is older.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

calyptorhynchus

Thanks Madiel, I must have been using Bing by accident, LOL.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

calyptorhynchus

Actually you can download it from archive.org! (1955 edition)
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

The 17th volume of Haydn 2032 will be "Per il Luigi":

Kammerorchester Basel
Giovanni Antonini, Dirigent
Dmitry Smirnov, Violine

Joseph Haydn:
Sinfonie Nr. 36 in Es-Dur
Konzert für Violine und Streicher Nr. 1 C-Dur «Per il Luigi»
Pause
Sinfonie Nr. 16 in B-Dur
Sinfonie Nr. 13 in D-Dur

Concerts this October in Vienna, Paris, and Basel.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on August 31, 2022, 07:00:22 AM

Kammerorchester Basel
Dmitry Smirnov, Violine

Joseph Haydn:
Pause
Sinfonie Nr. 16 in B-Dur
Sinfonie Nr. 13 in D-Dur

That looks like a great disk!  Sure would like to see the pace of release pick up a bit,  there's a lot to do before 2032!   :o

🤠😎
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Wanderer

Quote from: Brian on August 31, 2022, 07:00:22 AM

Kammerorchester Basel
Dmitry Smirnov, Violine

Joseph Haydn:
Pause
Sinfonie Nr. 16 in B-Dur
Sinfonie Nr. 13 in D-Dur

I'll be attending one of the Viennese concerts. The program contains these three symphonies but not the concerto, unless they plan to surprise us.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Wanderer on August 31, 2022, 07:59:41 AM
I'll be attending one of the Viennese concerts. The program contains these three symphonies but not the concerto, unless they plan to surprise us.

Probably an encore. I'm jealous.  😒

🤠🤓

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Wanderer

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 31, 2022, 08:49:16 AM
Probably an encore. I'm jealous.  😒

🤠🤓

Ah, it would be great if you were also there. And then we would discuss performances at Café Schwarzenberg. 😎

Mandryka

Op 71/2 live here, Lindsays. Sounds like good music to me. I don't think I've ever heard the op 71 quartets, attentively.

I'll tell you how I came across it. I was listening to Maxwell Davies's 5th quartet on Qobuz. Qobuz suggests related music and it came up with Haydn op 71 played by the Maxwell Quartet - syntax. So I thought, why not, I'll try it. Well after the Max quartet the Haydn sounded like kindergarten tunes.  Before dismissing it completely I thought I'd see what I have in my own collection and came up with this Lindsay Quartet CD - and it's not like nursery music at all!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Wanderer on August 31, 2022, 11:37:48 PM
Ah, it would be great if you were also there. And then we would discuss performances at Café Schwarzenberg. 😎

Indeed, that would be something to look forward to. I need to give some thought about an passe-partout. ;)

8)

calyptorhynchus

Saw this on a listing for BBC Radio 3

"Interval music: Fortepianist Ronald Brautigam plays Haydn's Piano Sonata in D major H. 16.51 - written around the time of The Creation."

That was a long time ago!

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on September 23, 2022, 05:07:05 PM

"Interval music: Fortepianist Ronald Brautigam plays Haydn's Piano Sonata in D major H. 16.51 - written around the time of The Creation."

"From Harmony, from heavenly harmony,
This universal frame began..."

https://englishverse.com/poems/a_song_for_st_cecilias_day_1687
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Premiered in the Garden of Eden by Adam to an audience consisting of Eve and the Snake. Rumor has it that the latter hissed the performance.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Florestan on September 24, 2022, 05:05:25 AM
Premiered in the Garden of Eden by Adam to an audience consisting of Eve and the Snake. Rumor has it that the latter hissed the performance.
:laugh:  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Lisztianwagner

Although I don't listen to his music very often, Haydn remains a very special composer to me, since he was the first composer, along with Mozart, with whom I started appreciating classical music. I have Karajan's recording for the Paris and London Symphonies, but I would like to get a complete box set of Haydn's symphonies. Any suggestion or recordings you would recommend?
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

71 dB

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 24, 2022, 10:20:53 AM
Although I don't listen to his music very often, Haydn remains a very special composer to me, since he was the first composer, along with Mozart, with whom I started appreciating classical music. I have Karajan's recording for the Paris and London Symphonies, but I would like to get a complete box set of Haydn's symphonies. Any suggestion or recordings you would recommend?

Isn't the Dorati box the one to get?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

vers la flamme

Dorati/Philharmonia Hungarica and Adam Fischer/Austro Hungarian Haydn Orchestra are both supposed to be quite good. Both Hungarians, go figure.

calyptorhynchus

Or the Decca PI box: Hogwood, Bruggen and Dantone.

:D