Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on May 25, 2023, 01:43:52 PMMostly for myself, really, a quick reference sheet to the Haydn Quartet recordings I own:

Opp. 1, 2, 9, 17 - apparently none?
Op. 20 - Mosaiques
Op. 33 - Auryn
Op. 42 - Auryn
Op. 50 - Auryn
Op. 54 - Endellion
Op. 55 - apparently none?
Op. 64 - Auryn
Op. 71 - Prazak, Takacs, Maxwell
Op. 74 - Endellion, Takacs, Maxwell
Op. 76 - Prazak, Chiaroscuro
Op. 77 - Auryn
Op. 103 - Auryn

No idea how Op. 55 fell through the cracks. This situation must be resolved immediately! I'm also sufficiently enamored with Opp. 33, 64, and 77 to think about getting extra/supplemental recordings.

Edit: Just remembered that, through Qobuz, I purchased digital downloads of the Panocha in Op. 55, along with Opp. 76 complete and 33 Nos 1-4. Now, why on earth did I buy the partial Op. 33 vinyl rip when I could have purchased the complete set available on a different listing?

What about the 7 last words?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SonicMan46

Quote from: VonStupp on April 26, 2023, 05:49:59 PMDave, @SonicMan46 - Not to show my hand in how I prefer my Haydn, but I love the Muti/Berlin orchestral & Harnoncourt choral proffered above.  :)
VS

Thanks All for the suggestions - has been a few weeks since my post, but found a used copy of Harnoncourt on the Amazon MP (will cull out my Jurowski which on re-looking had mixed reviews); cannot find the Muti (i.e. his second recording w/ the Berliners) on Amazon or on eBay - Prestomusic has a CD-R but pricey; on Spotify and will take a listen.  Also decided to buy the Lubimov on tangent piano (excellent AllMusic Review - eBay used & cheap) - Dave :)

Atriod

Quote from: Brian on May 25, 2023, 01:43:52 PMMostly for myself, really, a quick reference sheet to the Haydn Quartet recordings I own:

Opp. 1, 2, 9, 17 - apparently none?
Op. 20 - Mosaiques
Op. 33 - Auryn
Op. 42 - Auryn
Op. 50 - Auryn (and Prazak in Nos. 3, 5, 6 only)
Op. 54 - Endellion
Op. 55 - apparently none?
Op. 64 - Auryn
Op. 71 - Prazak, Takacs, Maxwell
Op. 74 - Endellion, Takacs, Maxwell
Op. 76 - Prazak, Chiaroscuro
Op. 77 - Auryn
Op. 103 - Auryn

No idea how Op. 55 fell through the cracks. This situation must be resolved immediately! I'm also sufficiently enamored with Opp. 33, 64, and 77 to think about getting extra/supplemental recordings.

Edit: Just remembered that, through Qobuz, I purchased digital downloads of the Panocha in Op. 55, along with Opp. 76 complete and 33 Nos 1-4. Now, why on earth did I buy the partial Op. 33 vinyl rip when I could have purchased the complete set available on a different listing?

Petersen Quartet must be heard in op. 1, they play these pieces with such vigor and enthusiasm. IIRC this was an amw recommendation for me in my Haydn SQ thread I started in the "Great Recordings and Reviews" subforum, aside from a Brentano Quartet CD this was by far my best purchase from that thread.

Madiel

Quote from: Mandryka on May 26, 2023, 09:37:13 AMWhat about the 7 last words?

Not. Quartets.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

My plan is to buy Auryn for opuses 1,2 and 9. I actually like them better in those early works than I do in later ones (extensive sampling rather than owning).

For op.17 I'm going to get the Leipzig. Their set is not complete yet (and they are mixing up their album order a bit unpredictably).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jo498

Quote from: Atriod on May 26, 2023, 01:03:29 PMPetersen Quartet must be heard in op. 1, they play these pieces with such vigor and enthusiasm.
They really make most of this music; it's a pity they never recorded any mature Haydn. opp.1,2,9 and 17 are also among the best parts of the Angeles Quartet box but of course not available separately.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Atriod

Quote from: Jo498 on June 04, 2023, 12:08:38 PMThey really make most of this music; it's a pity they never recorded any mature Haydn. opp.1,2,9 and 17 are also among the best parts of the Angeles Quartet box but of course not available separately.

They never completed their Beethoven cycle either which is superb.

calyptorhynchus

I'm sure that in 646 pages someone has already pointed this out, but I was listening to it today and it's quite a hoot. Even if you only hear the Overture it makes quite a different impression than it does as the opening movement of Symphony No.63.

'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

lordlance

I have only heard a few things by Paray but this is his most impressive performance so far:

Highly recommended.
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

Karl Henning

Quote from: lordlance on September 22, 2023, 12:17:52 PMI have only heard a few things by Paray but this is his most impressive performance so far:

Highly recommended.
Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

lordlance

Barbirolli's reputation has been puzzling given how dull so many of his recordings have been in my experience but this is a very spirited Haydn 92:

If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

SurprisedByBeauty

Does anyone remember when Sarge, I, and maybe Gurn? tried to name Haydn's Symphony No.99 "The Cat"?

Well, we haven't yet succeeded universally, but we have made it into the backpages of Wikipedia. :-)

Screenshot 2023-10-11 122632.png

Screenshot 2023-10-11 122741.png

Let the good (cat-) fight continue!

Brian

Incredible! It even got onto a concert program somewhere?

Karl Henning

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on October 11, 2023, 02:31:13 AMDoes anyone remember when Sarge, I, and maybe Gurn? tried to name Haydn's Symphony No.99 "The Cat"?

Well, we haven't yet succeeded universally, but we have made it into the backpages of Wikipedia. :-)

Screenshot 2023-10-11 122632.png

Screenshot 2023-10-11 122741.png

Let the good (cat-) fight continue!
Oh, I do recall.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Brian on October 11, 2023, 05:22:42 AMIncredible! It even got onto a concert program somewhere?

Oh, maybe not as incredible as all that. It could well be from this entry on MusicWeb Int., when I did my magic as European Editor. :-)

https://seenandheard-international.com/2011/05/nielsen_beethoven_haydn_symphony99_thecat_lso_uchida_davis/

But Forbes agrees, too: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2017/04/05/classical-cd-of-the-week-lose-your-heart-in-heidelbergs-spark-plug-haydn/  ;D

And I'll sneak it into a newspaper, yet. Not had an opportunity at Wiener Zeitung, but maybe at Die Presse.

Jo498

I was pretty certain one of you guys had actually put it into the wikipedia article!  ;D
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Scion7

I don't think this was previously posted?
Although no CD re-issue of these classic recordings on 18th-century instruments from 1969-1971 have been issued, Orpheus has them as digital downloads - on sale! - at this site:

https://www.classicselectworld.com/products/haydn-the-last-sixteen-piano-trios-huguette-dreyfus-vogt-mp3-digital-download

These LP's had very good sound, and the American-issued silver-label MHS box had good surfaces - but they never ran out of their original pressing, I suppose, since they never appeared on the improved green-label vinyl records they produced.  I've never come across the french-label editions on Valois, et al in the vinyl shoppes.
Huguette Dreyfus was an excellent player, and Vogt and Melkus were no slouches, either.

Recommended, if you can't track down the vinyl - which appears irregularly on eBay, etc.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Scion7

^ all of these are on Youtube for a listen, but the MRKV Music Group or whatever they call themselves did not create a topic for them, so they are scattered all over - but if you search on "Haydn-Piano Trio, Hobb.XV:____, Huguette Dreyfus" you can find them by the Hobson's catalogue number - because YT will not generate a complete list - some will be missing.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."