Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Back on the main topic--I have Fischer and DRD. Don't have Dorati, Marzendorfer, or the Naxos compilation.
I have the Decca HIP in the form of its parent sets, Bruggen and Hogwood, plus the filler from Dantone.
Of all the other sets mentioned, I think I have all of them except Pinnock and Fey.  (I have some individual CDs of the latter.) The Solomons set is en route to me from Japan.
Among MI London sets my favorite has always been Solti.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Jo498

Russell Davies has long been oop. jpc has the Fischer right now for 40 EUR or so but it might not worth ordering from outside EU.
Of course (often free) streaming completely changes the situation because one can always close gaps easily.
This was very different when I got interested more seriously in Haydn 25 years ago. After buying single discs my first medium sized box was the "Sturm & Drang" with Pinnock (maybe still the easiest recommendation for these works as it has great sound, very good, "central" interpretations, i.e. a somewhat larger and less "historical" sounding ensemble than Hogwood and Solomons and usually not the repeats of development and recap that make some pieces a bit lengthy).
For a while I thought I could close gaps with Naxos, Goodman etc. but when the Fischer box appeared at Brilliant's price tag (I think it was also about 40 EUR or even less around 2002?) I got it and didn't regret it although the late symphonies are not competitive and the rest is also sometimes a mixed bag. But overall it's great value and I am more often than not positively surprised when I listen to a disc from that box.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on April 05, 2024, 10:16:55 AMYeah I picked it up because I didn't liked the Londons in the Fischer set, so I took it as kind of a replacement.
I really enjoyed the sound samples from this set - that orchestra sounds really good in neoclassical repertoire on Naxos so it makes sense they sound so good in Haydn. But last time I asked about the set here, nobody had heard it. Now you have and you're tempting me!

Daverz

How about Colin Davis with the Concertgebeow for the Londons?  I need to at least give this set a closer listen.  I usually choose from a mix of Szell, Bernstein, Klemperer and Jochum recordings.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Daverz on April 05, 2024, 03:54:12 PMHow about Colin Davis with the Concertgebeow for the Londons?  I need to at least give this set a closer listen.  I usually choose from a mix of Szell, Bernstein, Klemperer and Jochum recordings.
I like them.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Quote from: Daverz on April 05, 2024, 03:54:12 PMHow about Colin Davis with the Concertgebeow for the Londons?  I need to at least give this set a closer listen.  I usually choose from a mix of Szell, Bernstein, Klemperer and Jochum recordings.

Davis/RCO was my introduction to the London symphonies!  I have fond memories.

Madiel

Davis is what I still have for the London sets.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Jo498

I have not heard them but the Davis used to be a standard "traditional" recommendation for the London set together with Jochum. Davis recorded a few pre-London as well, at least 82, 83, 86, 88, 91, 92.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 05, 2024, 09:41:43 AMNo idea if it's still available, but I fetched in the DRD set for a song ($25) back when

That is the only complete I have, and I like it (except for the annoying applause). I had Dorati but sold it (no regrets) despite generally being a huge fan of Dorati.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

DavidW

I'm sure this has been discussed to death but what are your favorite piano trio recordings?  For a complete set I like Trio 1790 and the Beaux Arts Trio.  Outside of the box this is my favorite:

Skogwald

Quote from: DavidW on April 29, 2024, 08:35:14 AMI'm sure this has been discussed to death but what are your favorite piano trio recordings?  For a complete set I like Trio 1790 and the Beaux Arts Trio.  Outside of the box this is my favorite:

I like Van Swieten Trio the best. But they are some of the greatest works in the repertoire and all these you mentioned give me immense joy, too.