Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 19, 2011, 08:38:21 AM
It's one of the nominees on the "Favorite (non Keyboard) Concertos" thread even as we speak.

Speaking of blasphemy, Gurn,  you'd better not look at the Favorite Symphonies thread  too closely.

Well, I haven't done yet, Jeffrey, but may have to troll on by.... There can be only 1!  :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Das Wiener Philharmonia Trio - Hob 05 18 Divertimento á tre in Bb for 2 Violins & Bass 3rd mvmt - Finale: Presto
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

karlhenning

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 19, 2011, 08:17:27 AM
Meh...

A nice piece? I was thinking more like totally unique, taking maximum advantage of the potential of an instrument that no one had even heard before, least of all himself. I bet the chap who commissioned it, the inventor of the keyed trumpet, Anton Weidinger, got all that he bargained for and more when he took delivery! In addition to the technical challenges )which still exist for a modern trumpeter!), it is musically on the leading edge of concerto design at the time (1796).

Blasphemer.  0:)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Das Wiener Philharmonia Trio - Hob 05 16 Divertimento á tre in C for 2 Violins & Bass 2nd mvmt - Menuet

Burn him at the bassoon stake!

DavidW

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 19, 2011, 08:17:27 AM
Meh...

A nice piece? I was thinking more like totally unique, taking maximum advantage of the potential of an instrument that no one had even heard before, least of all himself. I bet the chap who commissioned it, the inventor of the keyed trumpet, Anton Weidinger, got all that he bargained for and more when he took delivery! In addition to the technical challenges )which still exist for a modern trumpeter!), it is musically on the leading edge of concerto design at the time (1796).

Blasphemer.  0:)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Das Wiener Philharmonia Trio - Hob 05 16 Divertimento á tre in C for 2 Violins & Bass 2nd mvmt - Menuet

Alright, alright.  It's a historically significant concerto, that's kind of nice to listen too. :D  Shit, it's a trumpet concerto, that automatically makes it a niche, for your amusement only kind of work. >:D  Oh except for the Hummel concerto which is also used to torture students. :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on August 19, 2011, 02:33:51 PM
Alright, alright.  It's a historically significant concerto, that's kind of nice to listen too. :D  Shit, it's a trumpet concerto, that automatically makes it a niche, for your amusement only kind of work. >:D  Oh except for the Hummel concerto which is also used to torture students. :)

Yeah, Weidinger had a knack for picking composers to kick his ass for him. I read some earwitness account by someone at one of his concerts though that he tossed them off with apparent ease. Must have been a hell of a player!  :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Christine Schornsheim - Hob 16 Eb2 Sonata #17 in Eb for Keyboard 2nd mvmt - Andante

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

I have these 2 box sets. Of course, they are long OOP:

but the thing I am curious; note that they are marked "Volume 7" and "Volume 9". Has anyone here ever even seen any other volumes? Let alone at least 7 of them (probably 1 or 2 more)?  I am hoping that someone can pass along some information to me, even if you haven't any idea about where I could get them. And of course, if you want to sell yours, we can always talk.... :D

8)

Lethevich

Don't forget the single disc which bizarrely contains a duplicate recording, and one not in the sets:

I'm also confused over the volume indications on this series. It's bad enough that they haven't been reissued, but knowing that some may have had only limited release, or be languishing in the archives is annoying. I had a volume of the earlier symphonies somewhere or other as LP rips but I can't recall exactly where. I found them on RMCR or somewhere like that, the links may still be active.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on August 29, 2011, 05:25:52 PM
Don't forget the single disc which bizarrely contains a duplicate recording, and one not in the sets:

I'm also confused over the volume indications on this series. It's bad enough that they haven't been reissued, but knowing that some may have had only limited release, or be languishing in the archives is annoying. I had a volume of the earlier symphonies somewhere or other as LP rips but I can't recall exactly where. I found them on RMCR or somewhere like that, the links may still be active.

As nearly as I can tell, Vol. 8 is issued, it contains #26, 41, 43, 44, 48 & 52 according to a 1986 Gramophone that I ran across online. And also Vol. 10, which has (at least) #55 & 64. Finding them is the rub, though. :-\

I actually have every one of the symphonies as MP3's, but I am looking for at least Vols. 8 & (hopefully) 10 for my collection. The earlier numbered ones are the Morzin symphonies, so-called, which I have covered exceedingly well by Hogwood, Goodman and a host of others. :)

8)

Lethevich

Oh, I see, thanks. My greatest concern is that somewhere between CBS and Sony, the lack of interest or respect for these recordings means that the master copies of some could have gone missing. It's silly, as in the absence of Hogwood's traversal being boxed at mid-price, this would be my first-choice HIP collection of the symphonies :-\

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on August 29, 2011, 06:07:10 PM
Oh, I see, thanks. My greatest concern is that somewhere between CBS and Sony, the lack of interest or respect for these recordings means that the master copies of some could have gone missing. It's silly, as in the absence of Hogwood's traversal being boxed at mid-price, this would be my first-choice HIP collection of the symphonies :-\

Oh, quite agree. These are super-fine. it is hard to believe that Sony bought the right to these (because really, of all the majors, Sony is the only one with a real interest in PI) and have done nothing at all with them. :-\   As part of my 'new leaf' project, I am only using versions that I have the disks of, so I would really like to get a few more of these, despite having all the Hogwood and Goodman. Nice contrast, you know?  :)

8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on August 29, 2011, 05:25:52 PM

This has been in my wish-list for a while, wanted another HIP recording of "Farewell" other than Harnoncourts.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 29, 2011, 06:54:57 PM
This has been in my wish-list for a while, wanted another HIP recording of "Farewell" other than Harnoncourts.

Greg,

This one is particularly nice, in fact it is the one I decided to use in my Complete Haydn:

This one here is also very nice, as is most of the series that they produced:

I do like that Harnoncourt you have, but I can certainly see looking around. Another couple of very good PI versions, Brüggen and Hogwood, are only available in high$$ OOP Big Box sets, which keeps them from being recommendable in my book. :)

8)

DavidW

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 29, 2011, 06:54:57 PM

You should pick up the Weil box set, it is awesome! :)

[asin]B001U0HB60[/asin] 

karlhenning

I need to check where I left off in my symphony survey . . . .

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 30, 2011, 05:17:55 AM
I need to check where I left off in my symphony survey . . . .

The last I saw, you were in the mid-Stürm und Dräng... :)

8)

Leon

I have not heard the Hanover Band doing the Haydn Symphonies, but I do have their set of the Beethoven Symphonies.  I like it, but I prefer a less reverberant recorded sound.  Does the Haydn have this same kind of sound?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Leon on August 30, 2011, 06:25:36 AM
I have not heard the Hanover Band doing the Haydn Symphonies, but I do have their set of the Beethoven Symphonies.  I like it, but I prefer a less reverberant recorded sound.  Does the Haydn have this same kind of sound?

Not a bit of it. IIRC, the Beethoven was recorded in a church with the mic's across the street somewhere  (pity since it is such nice playing) but the Haydn is just fine, as good a sound as you are likely to get. :)

8)

karlhenning

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 30, 2011, 06:06:00 AM
The last I saw, you were in the mid-Stürm und Dräng... :)

8)

I've got a place-holder in that CD wallet . . . .

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on August 30, 2011, 06:34:16 AM
Not a bit of it. IIRC, the Beethoven was recorded in a church with the mic's across the street somewhere  (pity since it is such nice playing) but the Haydn is just fine, as good a sound as you are likely to get. :)

8)

Those Hanover recordings can be found at BRO in bits and pieces, but were they ever boxed?
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on August 30, 2011, 06:48:55 AM
Those Hanover recordings can be found at BRO in bits and pieces, but were they ever boxed?

No. I have bought up all the Helios versions of the ones I didn't have on Hyperion to start with. $4.99 at BRO. It's really a pity that A> they weren't collected and boxed and B> the set was so close to completion and yet remains unfinished. It makes me want to curse... >:(

8)

Lethevich

Quote from: Leon on August 30, 2011, 06:25:36 AM

I second Gurn - the Hyperion recordings are excellent. The recording job for those other sets was all down to Nimbus's poor decision making.