Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 22, 2011, 04:40:21 PM
:D  I waited for 2 years for BIS to release that box. That's where I 'met' Anna in Stockholm, she used to keep me apprised of its slow progress through the system. And I bought it the day it was released. The fact is, this is the only disk I have ever done that with. Glad I did though.

I haven't shopped for it recently, what sort of $$$ do they want for it these days? I paid $50 at Arkiv, a bargain by any definition.

And yes, essential material. There will be a quiz after... :D :D

$60 plus some $15 for sh. & h. costs, plus $15 or $20 from customs. I would say around $90 or $95 for me. Well, school duties are first.  :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 22, 2011, 05:07:27 PM
$60 plus some $15 for sh. & h. costs, plus $15 or $20 from customs. I would say around $90 or $95 for me. Well, school duties are first.  :D

Ouch! :'(  That really hurts!  I don't know if it shows up on your browser, but on Amazon US (and Archiv too, now that I think about it) a lot of times you will see it says "Import". Nearly always the price is outrageous when it does. I think now that this isn't going in Amazon's pocket, but rather it is a duty to customs. It doesn't say that, but I doubt that Amazon would sell it at that price if they didn't have to. This is the origin of the $35 single disks. :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 22, 2011, 05:12:03 PM
Ouch! :'(  That really hurts!  I don't know if it shows up on your browser, but on Amazon US (and Archiv too, now that I think about it) a lot of times you will see it says "Import". Nearly always the price is outrageous when it does. I think now that this isn't going in Amazon's pocket, but rather it is a duty to customs. It doesn't say that, but I doubt that Amazon would sell it at that price if they didn't have to. This is the origin of the $35 single disks. :-\

Anyway in the meantime I can use my NML subscription to listen to the entire Bis catalogue.

BTW, Gurn, your idea has had a collateral effect. Today I have been listening to Haydn all the day what has been a refreshing change of pace because during the last months I have been totally trapped by Bach and sometimes it's good to take a break.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 22, 2011, 05:19:39 PM
Anyway in the meantime I can use my NML subscription to listen to the entire Bis catalogue.

BTW, Gurn, your idea has had a collateral effect. Today I have been listening to Haydn all the day what has been a refreshing change of pace because during the last months I have been totally trapped by Bach and sometimes it's good to take a break.

I can't tell you how pleased I am to be able to help get you out of that rut, Antoine....  :D

I can only take Bach in small doses. It isn't right for people to think I don't like his music, it just completely tires me out. :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 22, 2011, 05:26:58 PM
I can't tell you how pleased I am to be able to help get you out of that rut, Antoine....  :D

I knew you wouldn't waste the chance.  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 22, 2011, 05:41:42 PM
I knew you wouldn't waste the chance.  ;D

My reliability is legendary. :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Tafelmusik; Lamon Bylsma - Hob 07b_2 Concerto in D for Cello 3rd mvmt - Rondo: Allegro

kishnevi

Just some added data from the Naxos box
The 1749 version of the Missa Brevis was recorded with the following forces:
Five sopranos plus the two soprano soloists, five altos, five tenors, five basses; eight violins, one 'cello, one double bass, and organ.
The 1805 version was recorded with the same number of singers and musicians, plus the following:
two violas, one flute, two clarinets, two bassoons, two trumpets and one timpani.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 22, 2011, 07:02:32 PM
Just some added data from the Naxos box
The 1749 version of the Missa Brevis was recorded with the following forces:
Five sopranos plus the two soprano soloists, five altos, five tenors, five basses; eight violins, one 'cello, one double bass, and organ.
The 1805 version was recorded with the same number of singers and musicians, plus the following:
two violas, one flute, two clarinets, two bassoons, two trumpets and one timpani.

Very interesting, thanks for that info, Jeffrey. BTW, do you like that set? Do you have others to compare it to? You have probably said so already, but my memory is notorious... :)

8)

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 22, 2011, 07:10:02 PM
Very interesting, thanks for that info, Jeffrey. BTW, do you like that set? Do you have others to compare it to? You have probably said so already, but my memory is notorious... :)

8)

Like it, but have no others. 
It doesn't contain that little five minute mass (which the liner notes call spurious) but it does contain the Stabat Mater, 8 CDs in all.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 22, 2011, 07:39:12 PM
Like it, but have no others. 
It doesn't contain that little five minute mass (which the liner notes call spurious) but it does contain the Stabat Mater, 8 CDs in all.

Yes, currently many people consider spurious the Missa brevis Rorate coeli desuper Hob. XXII:3. Today I did read this mass was rediscovered in 1957 by Robbins Landon at the Göttweig Abbey. Sometimes is attributed to Georg Reutter. A typical performance should last between 7 and 8 minutes.

Brahmsian

Quote from: marvinbrown on October 23, 2011, 07:37:27 AM
  I agree. Arrau's recording of Chopin's Noctures are magical.  He brings so much heart and soul to these works.

Looking to buy my first ever COMPLETE set of Haydn string quartets and seriously considering this:

[asin]B001QBXFTA[/asin]

marvin

Hi Marvin - also consider the complete recordings of Kodaly Qt. on Naxos.  (Now I go and hide for cover from the HIPsters!)  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 22, 2011, 08:35:39 AM
Hob 02_02 - Divertimento a cinque in G for Strings   
Haydn Sinfonietta Wien / Huss

Hob 16_01 Sonata #10 in C for Keyboard   
Yuko Wataya

Hob 17_07 5 Variations in D for Keyboard   
Christine Schornsheim

New Dusseldorf Hofmusik / Utiger   Christine Schornsheim
Hob 18_02 Concerto in D for Harpsichord   
Hob 18_05 Concerto in C for Harpsichord   
Hob 18_08 Concerto in C for Organ   

Hob 18_10 Concerto in C for Organ   
Divertimento Salzburg / Haselböck

I would like to move forward today beyond the early sacred music, perhaps to talk about the 1753 works, the "string quintet" and the concertos in particular. I have a few thoughts on these works, and I'll toss them in, but am hoping to get some input from anyone else who might be interested in them. Also in here I note the first works for solo keyboard, a sonata and a set of variations. In an unheralded way, except among Haydnistos, Haydn went on to become possibly the master of variations, inventing the double variation form, for example. Here is his earliest surviving go at it, Hob 17:7.   :)

8)

Opus106

Just a quick, distracting note before I hand the mic. back to Gurn. ;)

Something I came across just now. The previous incarnation was as Blu-Ray discs -- these are plain, old audio CDs.

[asin]B0000502AH[/asin]

Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on October 23, 2011, 09:16:59 AM

Something I came across just now. The previous incarnation was as Blu-Ray discs -- these are plain, old audio CDs.

[asin]B0000502AH[/asin]

Well, it sure distracted me! How did you happen across that, Navneeth? Now I have it pre-ordered already. Beghin is not only an excellent keyboardist but he is also a Haydn scholar. I've read a couple of his essays (but not his book yet), and he is very interesting. I was rather disappointed to see that set only on Blu-Ray, since I didn't want to invest in the equipment just yet. So this is awesome!  :)

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Opus106 on October 23, 2011, 09:16:59 AM

[asin]B0000502AH[/asin]

Holy cow! You have talked briefly, but very well, Navneeth.

I have the Blu-Ray discs, but I definitely need the CD-set.

It's a totally mandatory investment as Tom Beghin is a superb performer, playing on equally superb replicas of period fortepianos, harpsichords and clavichords.   

Opus106

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 23, 2011, 09:53:02 AM
How did you happen across that, Navneeth?

I was simply scouring the interwebs for future releases to salivate over. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on October 23, 2011, 09:01:47 AM
I would like to move forward today beyond the early sacred music, perhaps to talk about the 1753 works, the "string quintet" and the concertos in particular. I have a few thoughts on these works, and I'll toss them in, but am hoping to get some input from anyone else who might be interested in them. Also in here I note the first works for solo keyboard, a sonata and a set of variations. In an unheralded way, except among Haydnistos, Haydn went on to become possibly the master of variations, inventing the double variation form, for example. Here is his earliest surviving go at it, Hob 17:7.   :)

8)

OK, I'll start then. Actually, we won't be moving as far away from sacred music as it might seem. The concertos for organ (or harpsichord) and 2 violins (parts) & Basso, were most likely composed, as was the style of the times in Austria, to be played during church services. A likely time would be during communion, or during some other liturgical 'silent spot'. Sinfonias were also used sometimes. Haydn was a freelance musician at that time. He gave lessons on the keyboard, and he took lessons in composition from Porpora. He also played at any possible opportunity to make money, weddings, Bar Mitzvah's (OK, I made that one up! :D ), serenading, and in 2 churches in Vienna, he played the organ. The most likely thing is that he wrote these concertos both for practice and to use in church.  When they were finally published, 10 or more years later, they were listed as 'for the Clavicembalo', which is simply 'for the keyboard'. But they betray their origin as organ works by the range they require. That these three,

Hob 18_02 Concerto in D for Harpsichord   
Hob 18_05 Concerto in C for Harpsichord   
Hob 18_08 Concerto in C for Organ

are assigned to 1753 seems to me to be just good guessing. Although I can't offer a better guess, so I'm good with it. :)

Comments?

8)

marvinbrown

Ok this is really getting confusing.  I was seriously considering this set:

[asin]B001QBXFTA[/asin]

But then ChamberNut proposed this:

[asin]B001GVA7DW[/asin]

Then I saw and read favourable reviews about this set:

[asin]B0000501PC[/asin]
  And I also saw this:

[asin]B001V7SG8E[/asin]

Sampling is proving to lead nowhere as the snippets are never long enough for me to make an fully informed decision.  Now what do I do???  :-\

marvin

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: marvinbrown on October 23, 2011, 11:13:48 AM
PS: my quest for the my first COMPLETE recording of Haydn's string quartets continues.........

Unfortunately a previous decision is required: period or modern instruments? I think this is a territory where this decision is extremely important. I like, for instance, Beethoven in period performances, but I also fully enjoy his piano sonatas, symphonies and so played on modern instruments. But I consider the importance of period period instruments in Haydn is quite more essential than in Beethoven or Brahms to mention two names.

I would distinguish:

1.- Radical HIP: Quatuor Festetics (Arcana)

2.- HIP even for people who don't usually enjoy HIP performances: Quatuor Mosaïques (Naïve, although their cycle is far of being complete)   

3.- Pseudo-HIP: Buchberger Quartet (Brilliant Classics)

4.- Modern instruments: Aeolian Quartet (Decca), The Angeles String Quartet (Philips), Tatrai Quartet (Hungaroton) & Kodaly Quartet (Naxos). 

1 & 2 are my favorites, but I have previously made some decisions about this point.  :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: marvinbrown on October 23, 2011, 11:33:45 AM
Ok this is really getting confusing.

Sampling is proving to lead nowhere as the snippets are never long enough for me to make an fully informed decision.  Now what do I do???  :-\

marvin

Marvin, perhaps you need to buy a few (2 or 3) and varying performance styles (1. HIP 2. HIP on modern instruments and 3. Modern instruments) before buying a complete set?  Perhaps buy 3 (one in each performance styles) of the Op. 76 and Op. 20 quartets, then you can make a decision of buying a complete set?

Just a thought.