Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Elgarian on November 23, 2011, 04:41:33 PM
I don't do this 'streaming' thing either, but what I did was to set up the two sets of samples from the Pinnock set, and the Arion disc, and alternate my way through the three symphonies in 30-second samples. Being so far removed from what one actually does when listening properly, it seems a daft thing to do ... except, well, the differences are rather gobsmacking, really.

I should explain first that what shocked and delighted me when I first heard Pinnock's Haydn symphonies (last year, was it?) was that, unlike his Mozart symphonies, they weren't 'polite'. They rollicked, where rollicking is called for. Well, in the course of today's 30-second-bursts-of-machine-gun-fire type of comparative listening, I found that every time, the Arion recording blasted Pinnock out of the sky. I could hardly believe it, but Pinnock sounds tame, safe, and pretty, by comparison.

This is troubling, because it's going to change my attitude to the Pinnock box, I suspect. Unless, of course, I decide not to buy the Arion disc, and let the memory of this experiment quietly fade. But if I buy the Arion disc, I open up a whole can of Haydnistical Pinnockian worms.

Oh what to do? What to do?

Believe me, my friend, I know what you are going through. 10 years ago I was doing the same thing. I didn't have any sort of evil guru at the time either, it was more of a self-directed journey down the road to ruin. :D  But I have just discovered along the way that things that I may have found to be OTT at the first were suddenly not, so much. The Pinnock set is really very good, some of his best work (I think, compared to his Mozart, for example). And what he (and Hogwood, Brüggen and Goodman) did was to open the door to the next logical step in the HIP road. That is, taking the music out of the museum, throwing away convention, and just letting it all hang out (I will add my opinion here: the way it was played when it was new music).

But I still have, and frequently play, my Pinnock, Hogwood, Brüggen and Goodman disks. I am very comfortable with them and wouldn't trade them off for anything. But if there was an entire cycle played with the elan of this disk, then I would certainly have that too. I love having different orchestras come to visit. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 20, 2011, 01:58:56 PM
It's only 39 pages back, Bill (been nearly a month now! :o ), don't know why you couldn't just jump right to it! :D

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,54.msg570267.html#msg570267

We need an index post, really we do . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on November 23, 2011, 05:55:56 PM
We need an index post, really we do . . . .

I agree, but I don't know how to go about it. Any ideas on that, amigo? BTW, welcome back. Hope you're making up for lost time Haydn-wise. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
  Balestracci \ Tampieri \ Cocset - Hob 11_113 Trio in D for Baryton, Viola & Cello 1st mvmt - Adagio

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 23, 2011, 06:01:07 PM
I agree, but I don't know how to go about it. Any ideas on that, amigo?

I am glad to offer to do't, though I cannot answer for when I can : )

Quote from: Ye Gurnatron5500BTW, welcome back. Hope you're making up for lost time Haydn-wise. :)

Thanks! Still glowing with good feeling about musical networking in Ohio.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on November 23, 2011, 06:05:06 PM
I am glad to offer to do't, though I cannot answer for when I can : )

Thanks! Still glowing with good feeling about musical networking in Ohio.

Aye, and I think things are different depending on whether you view your post forward or backwards. I know when someone send me a link to a post and it's the most recent in a thread, when I go there it goes to the oldest post instead (I view backwards, clearly).

They were old school chums, is it not? That would be particularly nice. Glad you go the chance. :)

8)

Bogey

Maybe for the INDEX you just link us to the pages that have your pieces and put it on the first page of this thread.  Then we know where it is, you can update it from time to time, and put a small message at the bottom of each new issue of where to find the index, or link that too.  It is pretty cool, Gurn, so it may be worth your time.  Really turns this into a reference page worth revisiting the older posts.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on November 23, 2011, 06:19:39 PM
Maybe for the INDEX you just link us to the pages that have your pieces and put it on the first page of this thread.  Then we know where it is, you can update it from time to time, and put a small message at the bottom of each new issue of where to find the index, or link that too.  It is pretty cool, Gurn, so it may be worth your time.  Really turns this into a reference page worth revisiting the older posts.

Well, I am keen on the idea, just need to manage the execution correctly. There are also other posts, by myself and others, that have some good information on them. I wish there was a tabbed bookmark feature... :-\

8)

Bogey

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 23, 2011, 06:22:54 PM
Well, I am keen on the idea, just need to manage the execution correctly. There are also other posts, by myself and others, that have some good information on them. I wish there was a tabbed bookmark feature... :-\

8)

Yup.   That is why I stopped reading and posting on many threads.  Concentrate on a few.  I would like to go back and read some of the HIP Mozart and start reading your Classical thread.  Some baroque ones out there as well started by Que.  Have to catch up with Karl's and also see is Alan has been posting. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Maybe a DINER ban is in order for me.  Good resolutin for the New Year.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on November 23, 2011, 06:27:29 PM
Yup.   That is why I stopped reading and posting on many threads.  Concentrate on a few.  I would like to go back and read some of the HIP Mozart and start reading your Classical thread.  Some baroque ones out there as well started by Que.  Have to catch up with Karl's and also see is Alan has been posting.

Know just what you mean. As I have gotten far more busier in recent years, I have concentrated on a very few threads instead of spreading around. Of course, I read most of them, it's my job. But I only "tend" 2 now, this one and the Classical Corner. It has helped the quality of my posts to improve, which is more important to me than the quantity of them. Still, stuff gets lost in the rush anyway. So an index post is a great idea. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
  Vienna Haydn Sinfonietta \ Huss - Hob 10_01 Divertimento Octet #5 in D for Baryton, Winds & Strings 2nd mvmt - Adagio

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 23, 2011, 06:35:12 PM
It has helped the quality of my posts to improve, which is more important to me than the quantity of them.

Anyway, you have 28,857 posts, funny boy!!!!  :o ;D :D  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 23, 2011, 06:38:59 PM
Anyway, you have 28,857 posts, funny boy!!!!  :o ;D :D  ;D

No, that's just a joke. I have powers far beyond those of mortal men. Like, I can put any number of posts I want into my profile. Or change yours to 1 if I feel like it. So when I saw Karl had some astronomic number, I added a '2' to the beginning of mine to make him feel inadequate. I really only have 8,858. :D

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 23, 2011, 06:42:12 PM
No, that's just a joke. I have powers far beyond those of mortal men. Like, I can put any number of posts I want into my profile. Or change yours to 1 if I feel like it. So when I saw Karl had some astronomic number, I added a '2' to the beginning of mine to make him feel inadequate. I really only have 8,858. :D

8)

I hadn't noticed this until this post, some weeks ago, when Karl was a "guest" for some hours:  ;D

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 26, 2011, 06:05:07 AM
I'm sure Karl will be back - and once back - within a year will be top poster again!  :)

That leaves Gurn's fictitious post count on top of the poster board.  ;D

Karl Henning

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 23, 2011, 07:02:50 PM
I hadn't noticed this until this post, some weeks ago, when Karl was a "guest" for some hours:  ;D

Days, really ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 23, 2011, 06:14:45 PM
They were old school chums, is it not? That would be particularly nice. Glad you go the chance. :)

8)

Thanks!  Some of 'em old school chums . . . then, too, got at last to meet Cato; caught up afresh with Pete Lekx, whom I had scarce seen since he left Boston for Cleveland; and meet the principal clarinetist of the Columbus Symphony.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 23, 2011, 07:05:45 PM
c'mon!!!  :D ;D :D

Well, you could count it in hours; but then, you could weigh yourself by the ounce, too : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on November 23, 2011, 07:07:39 PM
Thanks!  Some of 'em old school chums . . . then, too, got at last to meet Cato; caught up afresh with Pete Lekx, whom I had scarce seen since he left Boston for Cleveland; and meet the principal clarinetist of the Columbus Symphony.

Ah, very nice. I worked... :)

Q will come in here overnight and clean this room. Sweep and tidy. So that's a blessing.

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 23, 2011, 07:10:43 PM
Ah, very nice. I worked... :)

Felt like I had to move earth, heaven, and then earth again (for it had shifted, seemingly) in order to take that time off. But the result was worth the labors.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on November 23, 2011, 05:07:50 PM
Four symphonies, but hardly an off year. The famous #22 in Eb dates from 1764. All of these 4 are interesting though. If we have someone who would like to analyze them a bit for us, that would be great. I don't want to go down any particular avenue excepting history unless there is a demand for it. 

No.22 "The Philosopher" is a great symphony. Is it significant in any way that it was composed in the "church sonata" format? Or was this just a purely musical choice for this particular movement layout? I know other works such as No.49 "La passione" were also composed this way, but was always curious about the structure.

Inspired to listen now to...