Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

That's a long story for me. I bought that disk off eBay, wanting to hear that cantata (despite the probability that it is spurious). Also at that time I didn't have any version of "The Storm", so I looked forward to it. Well, when I got it, I put it into the computer to rip it, and the tag came back "Bohemian Christmas Mass". And it was. Can't remember the composer but it sure wasn't Haydn! Anyway, the disk itself said it was the Haydn disk, so it was an error right from the factory. I had to fight with the seller to refund my money, but finally got it all straightened out. Still haven't ever heard the work though... :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:

Trio 1790 - Hob 15_21 Trio in C 1st mvmt -  Adagio pastorale - Vivace assai
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on May 19, 2012, 06:33:37 PM
Well, when I got it, I put it into the computer to rip it, and the tag came back "Bohemian Christmas Mass". And it was. Can't remember the composer but it sure wasn't Haydn!

Ryba?
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on May 20, 2012, 01:57:33 AM
Ryba?

Yes!  New to me, wasn't just crazy about it...  :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

mszczuj

Uncle Connie

Ryba - kinda fun a couple of listens, but wears thin.  I've heard some of his other work as well.  He wasn't a bad composer, just not a terribly interesting one.  But he means something to the Czechs as part of their heritage, so he gets recorded at least by companies like Supraphon. 

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Uncle Connie on May 21, 2012, 04:59:58 PM
Ryba - kinda fun a couple of listens, but wears thin.  I've heard some of his other work as well.  He wasn't a bad composer, just not a terribly interesting one.  But he means something to the Czechs as part of their heritage, so he gets recorded at least by companies like Supraphon.

Well, Conrad, if you want a disk that is a perfect visual match for your Haydn CD, but has Ryba instead, let me know and you can have twins!   Needless to say, I took that disk out of the gene pool so he wouldn't sell it to someone else and I end up with it again. :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:

The Hanover Band; Goodman - Hob 01_013 Symphony in D 3rd mvmt - Menuet

chasmaniac

This one's solid:

[asin]B000H4VZA8[/asin]
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on May 19, 2012, 06:33:37 PM
That's a long story for me. I bought that disk off eBay, wanting to hear that cantata (despite the probability that it is spurious). Also at that time I didn't have any version of "The Storm", so I looked forward to it. Well, when I got it, I put it into the computer to rip it, and the tag came back "Bohemian Christmas Mass". And it was. Can't remember the composer but it sure wasn't Haydn! Anyway, the disk itself said it was the Haydn disk, so it was an error right from the factory. I had to fight with the seller to refund my money, but finally got it all straightened out. Still haven't ever heard the work though... :D

BTW, not the cantata Die Erwählung eines Kapellmeisters (Appointment of a Conductor), but some time ago I was listening to this beautiful disc on Berlin Classics:

[asin]B000TGF1FY[/asin]

It includes two solo cantatas and several original canzonettas. Both the soprano and the fortepiano  have extremely pleasant and expressive voices. A pleasure. Highly recommended. 

:) 

jlaurson

Quote from: Uncle Connie on May 19, 2012, 03:29:18 PM
Hi - I'm back from vacation and will have a report on the Haydn-related portion of my trip soon.  But just to get back into things quickly, here's a disc I discovered and commend to all of you interested in a really weird example of homage carried to extremes. 

[asin]B0021BUUX8[/asin]

The entire Carus series of the Frauenkirche recordings is very, very well engineered. Love their sound, even if this particular disc, though very lovely and especially interesting for the 'obscure' Gatti piece, did not exactly blow me away.

Incidentally, am at the Frauenkirche for a few concerts this week myself. Including, I hope, some Haydn with the OAE.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Eric on May 22, 2012, 09:48:21 PM
BTW, not the cantata Die Erwählung eines Kapellmeisters (Appointment of a Conductor), but some time ago I was listening to this beautiful disc on Berlin Classics:

[asin]B000TGF1FY[/asin]

It includes two solo cantatas and several original canzonettas. Both the soprano and the fortepiano  have extremely pleasant and expressive voices. A pleasure. Highly recommended. 

Thanks for the tip, Eric. I have looked at that disk many times, but wasn't really sure whether to jump on it, given that I have several versions of those works. But what the heck, a pleasant soprano fortepiano has its appeal too... :)

8)

Leon

Quote from: Eric on May 22, 2012, 09:48:21 PM

[asin]B000TGF1FY[/asin]

I found it on Spotify and am listening to the Battle of the Nile - very interesting.  This is some Haydn that I've not heard.  Thanks for mentioning it.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on May 23, 2012, 04:24:32 AM
I found it on Spotify and am listening to the Battle of the Nile - very interesting.  This is some Haydn that I've not heard.  Thanks for mentioning it.

I've always liked the version on this disk;

but I got the other to hear what someone else might have to say. It is rather unique. Somewhere (1800?) in the chronology I told the story behind it. Rather a strange and amusing tale, really. :D

8)

Karl Henning

Boston's Chorus Pro Musica are doing The Creation at NEC. Check it out.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

Cross-posting from listening thread: this weekend I drove to Dallas and back (~9 hours) and listened to this entire box set:

[asin]B005TLWOH2[/asin]

It was a total delight from start to finish. Reliably fantastic playing, vigorous tempi, no harpsichord (pet peeve of mine with Kuijken et al), and wow, every single symphony really is worth hearing.

Gurn, remind me of two things: (a) did I ever write back with thoughts on the mass? (b) I need to look up "Tempora mutantur" to see why it's so oddly titled.

Karl Henning

Aye, Brian: one tasty box, that is.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on May 28, 2012, 07:59:06 PM
Cross-posting from listening thread: this weekend I drove to Dallas and back (~9 hours) and listened to this entire box set:

[asin]B005TLWOH2[/asin]

It was a total delight from start to finish. Reliably fantastic playing, vigorous tempi, no harpsichord (pet peeve of mine with Kuijken et al), and wow, every single symphony really is worth hearing.

Gurn, remind me of two things: (a) did I ever write back with thoughts on the mass? (b) I need to look up "Tempora mutantur" to see why it's so oddly titled.

That is a great box, Brian. Strongly recommended to anyone who wants just a nice cross-section of the symphonies (some Stürm und Dräng, the Paris and Chunnel symphonies).

No, not post-listening. :)

"Tempora mutantur" means something like "times change" or "changing times", and I think you can hear it in there as a variety of stylistic idioms incorporated into one piece. Some of our more conservative predecessors have called this work, um... strange. Maybe, but I like it!  :)

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on May 28, 2012, 07:31:11 AM
Boston's Chorus Pro Musica are doing The Creation at NEC. Check it out.

This Saturday the 2nd.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Leon

I don't know why it has taken me this long to hear this disc:

[asin]B0007AC1GO[/asin]

Very nice.

I've seen there is another set out there called Sonatas for Fortepiano, but it seems only available as Used.  And I am wondering if the contents overlap.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on June 06, 2012, 04:20:15 PM
I don't know why it has taken me this long to hear this disc:

[asin]B0007AC1GO[/asin]

Very nice.

I've seen there is another set out there called Sonatas for Fortepiano, but it seems only available as Used.  And I am wondering if the contents overlap.

Arnold,

That 3 disk set and these 3 disks;

are the same disks. I had just finished hunting down and purchasing the 3 singles when they released the set for a fraction. >:(  So it goes. I am very fond of these disks though, glad to have them. :)

8)