Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on April 26, 2007, 02:53:48 AM
Well I ordered it too me Dave! :)
I had it on loan by a friend of mine, but its so good, that for 22,00 euro's this is a must, for all Haydn lovers.
Count me in, gentlemen!

BTW, how does the Brilliant set compare to this one?

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on April 26, 2007, 04:01:40 AM
Count me in, gentlemen!

BTW, how does the Brilliant set compare to this one?

Andrei that set is fabulous and a must! There is no comparing involved here, you need both!
The other Brilliant set is a HIP recording for just 22,00 euro's, so its extra, you see. ;D

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on April 26, 2007, 04:22:47 AM
Andrei that set is fabulous and a must! There is no comparing involved here, you need both!
The other Brilliant set is a HIP recording for just 22,00 euro's, so its extra, you see. ;D
Thanks. I'll take the necessary actions.

Que

Quote from: SonicMan on April 25, 2007, 04:41:52 PM
Q - sorry, coming in late to this thread (don't know why w/ one of my favorite composers!) - I have a half dozen Haydn Baryton discs, including the 2-CD set pictured - I concur w/ Gurn - go for it (which you may already have w/ a 2 wk+ delay?  ;D) - Dave

Thanks for the additional recommendation Dave! :)
It was already on my list together with set with the Van Swieten Trio on Brilliant, but now I really must get these soon! ;D
Looking forward to hear these barytons.

After I found the notturni played by the L'Archibudelli so marvelous, I'd welcome some additional recommendations on Haydn's chamber music! Anything I ought to check out besides the SQ's and piano trios?

Q

Bogey

Quote from: Que on April 26, 2007, 11:15:58 PM
Thanks for the additional recommendation Dave! :)
It was already on my list together with set with the Van Swieten Trio on Brilliant, but now I really must get these soon! ;D
Looking forward to hear these barytons.

After I found the notturni played by the L'Archibudelli so marvelous, I'd welcome some additional recommendations on Haydn's chamber music! Anything I ought to check out besides the SQ's and piano trios?

Q

This duo disc that Gurn recommended to me many moons ago should be on your list Que.  Absolutely wonderful music.:

Samples here:

http://www.amazon.com/Haydn-Sonatas-Violin-Cello-Op-23/dp/B00000309B/ref=sr_1_1/102-7134284-2880939?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1177730288&sr=8-1

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Anne

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 06, 2007, 05:55:28 PM
Ah yes, I see. It is one of their reissues. Those are very tempting, pity they don't have liner notes, but otherwise they are a great chance to get OOP stuff you would never see otherwise. :)

8)

I am on Arkiv's mailing list and they announced today that they are including liner notes and artwork on CD covers of the OOP music they produce.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for CD/s of Haydn's cello concertos?  Am going to a concert Friday night and want to hear it before the concert.  Many thanks.   

tjguitar

This is probably a really dumb question but waht is the name of the piece by Haydn which starts out with one isntrument and ends with the whole orchestra (or maybe it was the other way around)...I know it's a fairly 'mainstream' piece....

Que

Quote from: tjguitar on May 09, 2007, 08:58:38 PM
This is probably a really dumb question but waht is the name of the piece by Haydn which starts out with one isntrument and ends with the whole orchestra (or maybe it was the other way around)...I know it's a fairly 'mainstream' piece....

Yes, it's the other way around and it's called the "Abschieds-Symphonie" ("Farewell", symphony no. 45)

It was written for Haydn's patron, Prince Nikolaus Esterházy, while he, Haydn and the court orchestra were at the Prince's summer palace in Eszterhaza. The stay there had been longer than expected, and most of the musicians had been forced to leave their wives back at home in Eisenstadt, so in the last movement of the symphony, Haydn subtly hinted to his patron that perhaps he might like to allow the musicians to return home: during the final adagio each musician stops playing, snuffs out the candle on his music stand, and leaves in turn, so that at the end, there are just two muted violins left (played by Haydn himself and the concertmaster, Alois Luigi Tomasini). Esterházy apparently got the message: the court returned to Eisenstadt the day following the performance.

Q

tjguitar

Florestan

Quote from: Anne on May 09, 2007, 06:53:33 PM
I am on Arkiv's mailing list and they announced today that they are including liner notes and artwork on CD covers of the OOP music they produce.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for CD/s of Haydn's cello concertos?  Am going to a concert Friday night and want to hear it before the concert.  Many thanks.   

or

Enjoy!

Anne

Florestan,

Much appreciated.  Thank you very much!

Haffner

Quote from: Anne on May 10, 2007, 05:25:25 AM
Florestan,

Much appreciated.  Thank you very much!

You're going to really like those recordings, Anne!

Sean

Presently listening to the classic Beaux Arts set of the piano trios, as rapt and inspiredly beautiful playing as any review says: it's endlessly varied music with often daring but always perfectly organized and smooth modulations and juxtapositions.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sean on May 10, 2007, 11:14:46 AM
Presently listening to the classic Beaux Arts set of the piano trios, as rapt and inspiredly beautiful playing as any review says: it's endlessly varied music with often daring but always perfectly organized and smooth modulations and juxtapositions.

And I, too, am listening to the Piano Trios! Not the BAT (which I have and love), but the oh, so HIP Trio 1790 which I have all 6 disks of, so far. Splendid music, can't really say more. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Anne

Quote from: Haffner on May 10, 2007, 07:14:14 AM

You're going to really like those recordings, Anne!

You're right.  I do like them very much.

Sean

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 10, 2007, 02:35:19 PM
And I, too, am listening to the Piano Trios! Not the BAT (which I have and love), but the oh, so HIP Trio 1790 which I have all 6 disks of, so far. Splendid music, can't really say more. :)

8)

Yes it's hard to convey the particular civilized quality of this body of music. A definitive statement of the classical spirit in music.

Haffner

Quote from: Sean on May 10, 2007, 11:14:46 AM

I really love that recording, Sean, as you also probably guessed.

Que

Quote from: SonicMan on April 25, 2007, 04:52:43 PM
Gurn - sorry about posting on the Piano Trios, but this 'edited' post got BURIED in the 'listening thread', and may be more appropriate here, anyway -  :)

I've just gone through the first 5 discs (of 10) of the Haydn Piano Trios w/ the Van Swieten Trio - Bart van Oort on the fortepiano (after Walter, 1795) along w/ several violinists, cellists, & a flautist (3 of the pieces in the set) - all period instruments, i.e. about as HIP, as possible!  As a result, the blending of the fortepiano w/ the violin & cello is phenomenal (cello going along w/ the left hand of the pianist; violin for the right hand) - doubt this 'effect' could be accomplished w/ modern instruments - these are DDD recordings made just several years ago, and on the Brilliant label!

Check out the review by David Bryson on Amazon; BTW, I paid about $33 for this set on the Amazon Marketplace; presently, being offered at BRO for $30! You may not want 40+ Haydn 'Piano Trios' but @ $3 a disc, what's there to lose?  ;D

Let me ad my voice to the many previous recommendations of this set.
Beautiful performances & excellent players! :)
A conveniently complete set of the piano trios for a budget price (I paid €18 = $25) - It's a steal!  ;D

Q

Harry

Well its in front of me, so I will begin shortly with them! :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on May 12, 2007, 02:22:11 AM
Let me ad my voice to the many previous recommendations of this set.
Beautiful performances & excellent players! :)
A conveniently complete set of the piano trios for a budget price (I paid €18 = $25) - It's a steal!  ;D

Q - glad that you enjoyed that Haydn set - finished the remaining CDs shortly after my post w/ the same HIGH praise - HIP is really the way to go w/ this music - glad I took the leap (and the price certainly helped!) - amazing 'how much' excellent music Papa Haydn wrote in his lifetime (kind of the Telemann of the Classical Era;D) - Dave