Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Listener

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 07, 2015, 05:00:55 PM
Almost hard to imagine all the stuff going on in 1784. I barely scratched the surface and still have a modest novella! :o :o  You might find some of it interesting, I did!

Take that, CPE Bach!

I enjoy each of your articles on Haydn's life.  They add a sense of the real person who worked for decades applying his talent to satisfy his employer and his own creative sense.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Old Listener on February 10, 2015, 09:51:51 PM
I enjoy each of your articles on Haydn's life.  They add a sense of the real person who worked for decades applying his talent to satisfy his employer and his own creative sense.

Very kind of you to say. I'm delighted you enjoy it as I do; to see the real person behind all that great music!  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on February 08, 2015, 02:17:27 AM
First listen to symphony no.89 today. It's giving me some recollections of Beethoven for some reason - although of course, it would be more accurate to say that Beethoven gave me some occasional recollections of Haydn.

When Beethoven said "I learned nothing from Haydn", I suspect he 'doth protest too much". Maybe he didn't even realize how much he learned!  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Beethoven was a brat.  A fine composer, no argument;  but a brat.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on February 11, 2015, 04:42:42 AM

I can see him, Ries and Czerny standing on the street corner wearing leathers, smoking cigarettes and kicking road apples under the feet of unsuspecting aristocrats...    >:D     Of course, the young Marlon Brando would be Beethoven, James Dean would be Ries...  :D

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on February 11, 2015, 04:50:25 AM
I am not sure at what stage in Beethoven's career that quote was made but I suspect during his mature to late period.  If my guess is accurate, then it is understandable how he could say that, i.e. feeling that he had traveled a long distance from his  years under Haydn's tutelage, Haydn's influence was rather small.  From all accounts I've read, Haydn was not very engaged in teaching Beethoven.

No, actually it was rather early times, IIRC, while Haydn was still alive. In later years he revered Haydn, when he no longer feared competition from him. In fact, that situation was resolved around 1805 when it became painfully apparent that Haydn debilities precluded any further chance of him composing again. It was all good then.

As for teaching, as with everything, it is a far more complicated thing than just engagement. I am planning an essay on just that one topic when the time comes, too long to go into here (especially since I have to go to work now! :) ).

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on February 11, 2015, 05:00:20 AM
Thanks for the info.  I had second thoughts about that post which is why i removed it.

:)

Yeah, I pulled the trigger too quick, since I was on the spot. So it goes. :)

8)

Pat B

Quote from: karlhenning on February 11, 2015, 04:42:42 AM

Maybe not as much as it would seem from one comment taken out of context.

Karl Henning

Well, his musical reputation is completely intact, in any event, and deservedly so.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Even as a brat, he was never a patch on Boulez  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jo498

It seems that Beethoven was "technically" right because the actual lessons with Haydn were not successful (because Haydn was to busy). But the reason he proclaimed loudly that he had never learned *anything* from Haydn was probably that he wanted to appear as youthful irascible genius (which he actually was anyway). Of course, he had learned a lot from Haydn's COMPOSITIONS, if not from doing counterpoint exercises with the old man.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on February 11, 2015, 08:04:20 AM
It seems that Beethoven was "technically" right because the actual lessons with Haydn were not successful (because Haydn was to busy). But the reason he proclaimed loudly that he had never learned *anything* from Haydn was probably that he wanted to appear as youthful irascible genius (which he actually was anyway). Of course, he had learned a lot from Haydn's COMPOSITIONS, if not from doing counterpoint exercises with the old man.

I completely agree with this. You will find though, in virtually any Beethoven-oriented biography dating back to the mid 19th century and ever since, that authors have willfully misinterpreted this statement and used it prima facie to demonstrate that Haydn was no match for our young revolutionary genius.   :D

8)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Pat B on February 11, 2015, 07:29:03 AM
Maybe not as much as it would seem from one comment taken out of context.

One of a host, as you will see.

It is indisputable that Beethoven was a brat, to put it nicely. It is no big deal, no one (still living) holds it against him, certainly not me. I rather admire him for it. :)

8)

Karl Henning

I wouldn't have LvB any other way;  a most colorful figure in music history.

The brat  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Great typo in the very first page (in inglese) of the liner notes to the DRD complete symphonies box:

QuoteNearly four years separate the first symphony written by the 25-year-old Haydn as kapellmeister to Count Morzin in the Czech provinces from his last contribution to the genre, which had its first performance in 1795 in a wildly-acclaimed concert given in the metropolis of London.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

His smoke could be descried from as far away as Sevastopol ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: sanantonio on February 12, 2015, 11:42:29 AM
Only four years, and 100+ symphonies later?  Busy man ...

The dude was almost as productive as Havergal Brian.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

I'm still in a funk over the poor recording history of the 76-81 symphonies. But I didn't let that deter me this week, when I took a look at the latter three. Hard to realize he isn't writing for Eszterháza any more. Anyway, have a look if you'd like.

For the world beyond

Thanks,
8)

Madiel

Yes, I seem to remember working out that, even with modern instruments, this was a natural grouping of symphonies (or 2 natural groupings) that was very difficult to find on disc.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!