Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: BasilValentine on November 06, 2017, 11:27:46 AM
Thanks Gurn! ^ ^ ^ Hadn't put that together.

It's handy for a theoretician and an historian to get together now and again... :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Sergeant Rock

Vol 5 has been issued (80, 81, 19 and Krauss C minor). Just ordered it from Amazon DE

[asin] B076B568F5[/asin]

Sarge

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 08, 2017, 07:11:46 AM
Vol 5 has been issued (80, 81, 19 and Krauss C minor). Just ordered it from Amazon DE

[asin] B076B568F5[/asin]

Sarge

Great! It should be here within a year... :-\  I'll go see if Amazon UK has it, that's where I got the last one. Thanks for the info, Sarge.

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 08, 2017, 08:03:47 AM
Great! It should be here within a year... :-\  I'll go see if Amazon UK has it, that's where I got the last one. Thanks for the info, Sarge.

8)

I ordered it last night from Arkivmusic, which lists it as in stock
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=2261454

Old Listener

[asin] B076B568F5[/asin]

Sarge

The album is available as a download on eClassical.com.  You can listen to the entire album in 30 sec. chunks for free.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Old Listener on November 09, 2017, 10:05:29 PM
You can listen to the entire album in 30 sec. chunks for free.

You don't say.  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

[asin] B076B568F5[/asin]

Sarge

I streamed it from Apple Music...it's good, but I would've preferred more Armonico performances with this cycle. But I'm thrilled that there have been two new recordings of No. 80 in the past two years (Dantone and Antonini)!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 10, 2017, 03:58:22 AM
I streamed it from Apple Music...it's good, but I would've preferred more Armonico performances with this cycle.

Yeah, I'm surprised they changed orchestras. My copy arrived today.

Sarge

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 10, 2017, 04:35:30 AM
Yeah, I'm surprised they changed orchestras. My copy arrived today.

Sarge

According to the Haydn 2032 website, right from the beginning it was always the plan to use Armonico for the works needing a smaller orchestra and Basel for the later works with big band. #19 is an outlier in that scheme, being the actual #8 from ca 58-60 (in other words, it's a Morzin symphony, pre-Esterházy). I think Antonini (quite rightly) really likes to mix them up. But if they are only playing it with a smaller portion, should be OK. Haydn played it with ~12 plus himself...

I am also delighted to see another #80 (and 81), while it was a thrill to finally have A version, it is always nicer to have 2 or 3. :)

8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 10, 2017, 06:53:44 AM
According to the Haydn 2032 website, right from the beginning it was always the plan to use Armonico for the works needing a smaller orchestra and Basel for the later works with big band. #19 is an outlier in that scheme, being the actual #8 from ca 58-60 (in other words, it's a Morzin symphony, pre-Esterházy). I think Antonini (quite rightly) really likes to mix them up. But if they are only playing it with a smaller portion, should be OK. Haydn played it with ~12 plus himself...

Antonini uses a somewhat smaller orchestra in #19: 15 strings vs 20 strings in 80 and 81. It's not audibly different to my ears.

Sarge

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 10, 2017, 07:24:16 AM
Antonini uses a somewhat smaller orchestra in #19: 15 strings vs 20 strings in 80 and 81. It's not audibly different to my ears.

Sarge

Thanks. I know I have read searing complaints about "tiny" orchestras and when I listened for myself I only heard the music. 15 would be generous compared to Hogwood or Goodman, I think. I need to check that out. Everybody uses more than Haydn did though. Not like he had a choice, but he did craft the music for the forces at hand. :)

8)

Parsifal

Haydn 2032. Are they kidding? Shouldn't they plan to finish it before the polar ice caps melt?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on November 10, 2017, 07:30:41 AM
Haydn 2032. Are they kidding? Shouldn't they plan to finish it before the polar ice caps melt?

Long range optimism. But dragging it out that long is dangerous. I hope Antonini has better luck than Fey.

Sarge

Parsifal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 10, 2017, 07:42:32 AM
Long range optimism. But dragging it out that long is dangerous. I hope Antonini has better luck than Fey.

Sarge

I hope I have better luck than Fey.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scarpia on November 10, 2017, 07:30:41 AM

I've already planned to buy the last disk as an 80th birthday present to myself. I have it pre-ordered at Amazon... ::)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scarpia on November 10, 2017, 07:50:10 AM
I hope I have better luck than Fey.

No lie. Maybe they have a contingency plan. :-\

8)

Madiel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 10, 2017, 08:15:24 AM
I've already planned to buy the last disk as an 80th birthday present to myself. I have it pre-ordered at Amazon... ::)

8)

Hmm... the box set as a retirement gift?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ørfeo on November 10, 2017, 03:54:13 PM
Hmm... the box set as a retirement gift?

:D 

I would have liked that, but my retirement is firmly set for next December, and these guys just aren't going to make it. I know they are wanting to tour and perform all of these before they go on record, and really, that probably makes the playing that much better, but ~18 years really IS a long-term project. :-\

8)

Madiel

No no, I meant MY retirement.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ørfeo on November 10, 2017, 04:55:58 PM
No no, I meant MY retirement.

Well, if I was shooting for 2032 for that, I can hardly think of a better self-gift. :)  I'm curious, do you think there will still be CD's or something along the lines of physical media by then? The concept of streaming a new release for my 80th birthday depresses the hell out of me... :-\

8)