Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 17, 2017, 05:49:15 PM
The third piece from King Alfred does need to be recorded.  Just record enough of the succeeding dialogue to give the listener an idea of why the music breaks off.

I mean,  singers do bleeding chunks that break off suddenly all the time...it's no stretch for a bleeding chunk which the composer himself breaks off.

There is a Mass which can be called predecessor to LvB 9:. his own Missa Solemnis.

I would like to hear it, although I'm not sure it has even been published yet, Landon did the others but said he didn't bother with this. Maybe one day. Do you have the Hickox disk?  It is also in the Complete Masses, but this cover was too perfect. :)

Yes, being as they are back-to-back works, the influence of one on the other is practically inevitable. I always thought of the Choral Fantasy as a real preview of the 4th movement of the 9th.... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

kishnevi

Don't have the Chandos recordings: the Naxos set and the Decca set that involves Gardiner are what I have.

Maybe we can start a GoFundMe campaign to record that duet.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 17, 2017, 07:01:38 PM
Don't have the Chandos recordings: the Naxos set and the Decca set that involves Gardiner are what I have.

Maybe we can start a GoFundMe campaign to record that duet.

Boy, if that was do-able; I have a nice list of never-been-recorded Haydn, they would be perfect to get done before the next set of London Symphonies hits the shelves. :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

mc ukrneal

I was just thinking how interesting it would be do to some sort of comparison of Haydn with his brother Michael. It might be interesting to compare what they were doing, how much they might have followed each other (or not), influences that were the same or different, etc. Not saying we expect you to do it or anything, just one of those, "Hey, that would be interesting moments." 
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 18, 2017, 06:10:52 PM
I was just thinking how interesting it would be do to some sort of comparison of Haydn with his brother Michael. It might be interesting to compare what they were doing, how much they might have followed each other (or not), influences that were the same or different, etc. Not saying we expect you to do it or anything, just one of those, "Hey, that would be interesting moments."

I agree, it certainly would be nice to know a lot more than we do.

I've actually done quite a bit of the research, in a 'by-the-way' sort of manner so far. There are no extant letters between them, sadly, but they did have moments where they met or at least intended to, and it seems they must have been in fairly regular contact even though we don't know what was said.  I can tell you that when we get past the turn of the century, Michael will enter the discussion at least two or three times, far more than he has to date. Apparently, travel between Vienna and Salzburg in those days was not common.

8)

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Gurn Blanston

Florestan

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 19, 2017, 04:12:52 AM
Back at'cha! Glad you enjoyed. :)

8)

Your work is priceless. I humbly bow to your devotion and passion.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on December 19, 2017, 04:17:34 AM
Your work is priceless. I humbly bow to your devotion and passion.

Thank you. Sometimes I wish I wasn't the only person doing this, it's a monumental task. Fortunately, I love it, so I carry on happily. It's scary to think that if I was writing a book(s), this would just be an outline!! :o :o   :)

8)

Florestan

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 19, 2017, 04:20:41 AM
Thank you. Sometimes I wish I wasn't the only person doing this, it's a monumental task. Fortunately, I love it, so I carry on happily. It's scary to think that if I was writing a book(s), this would just be an outline!! :o :o   :)

8)

Well, you should seriously consider assembling all the chapters in chronological order into a full pdf book(let). That would be an awesome and handy resource.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on December 19, 2017, 04:30:44 AM
Well, you should seriously consider assembling all the chapters in chronological order into a full pdf book(let). That would be an awesome and handy resource.

I'll have to give that some consideration. It will take some serious editing to turn it into something readable in that format, but what the heck, it could happen. :)

8)

Karl Henning

There's no place like da Haus for the holidays!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 19, 2017, 04:53:50 AM
There's no place like da Haus for the holidays!

I played a couple of Haydn Christmas pastorella's last night. Made me want to toss a log on the fire... 0:)

8)

Florestan

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 19, 2017, 05:29:20 AM
I played a couple of Haydn Christmas pastorella's last night.

Any recommendation for recordings?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on December 19, 2017, 05:32:59 AM
Any recommendation for recordings?

This one is the only one I know. It also has some Christmas Night songs from Michael as well as Gruber's original version of Stille Nacht. PI, of course...

8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 19, 2017, 06:33:00 AM
This one is the only one I know. It also has some Christmas Night songs from Michael as well as Gruber's original version of Stille Nacht. PI, of course...

8)

Ordered that just now. Hopefully it will arrive within the next few days and I can play it at my parents-in-law's home on Christmas Eve. They love music of the classical period. Brahms, for example, is too modern for them  :D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 19, 2017, 12:40:43 PM
Ordered that just now. Hopefully it will arrive within the next few days and I can play it at my parents-in-law's home on Christmas Eve. They love music of the classical period. Brahms, for example, is too modern for them  :D

Sarge

Cool, my kind of folks. :)  The Austrian things are very traditional and very nice, both the Haydn brothers did well, IMO. I know nothing about Gruber except for Silent Night.... :-\

8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 17, 2017, 03:58:29 PM
Boy, sure been quiet in da Haus:P

That's because you've been quiet! But your new article rectifies that. Superb read. I like how you fearlessly speculate on the circumstances of the mass creations despite the lack of concrete evidence. Taking on the "experts": brave and thought provoking.

Listening to the Heiligmesse now (Weil, Tafelmusick).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Madiel

Revisiting the Naxos set of masses and focusing just on the last 6 masses is high on my to do list. Not that the earlier ones aren't worthwhile, but I do feel I should become more familiar with the late ones.  It's over a year since my first set of listens.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 19, 2017, 12:59:24 PM
That's because you've been quiet! But your new article rectifies that. Superb read. I like how you fearlessly speculate on the circumstances of the mass creations despite the lack of concrete evidence. Taking on the "experts": brave and thought provoking.

Listening to the Heiligmesse now (Weil, Tafelmusick).

Sarge

Thanks for saying that, Sarge, I appreciate it. I guess you can tell that sometimes I get tired of reading speculation disguised as fact. I'm like "hell, I can do that...".  :)

That's a really nice version, too. I'll check back into it as soon as Symphony #39 is over. :)

8)