Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ørfeo on December 19, 2017, 04:19:02 PM
Revisiting the Naxos set of masses and focusing just on the last 6 masses is high on my to do list. Not that the earlier ones aren't worthwhile, but I do feel I should become more familiar with the late ones.  It's over a year since my first set of listens.

Definitely a worthwhile project, one I am postponing so I can do them one at a time and not get confused. Paukenmesse next... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

"I can speculate with the best of 'em!"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

1796 had to be a pretty busy year for Haydn.  You would think at 64 years old, he would be kicking back a little bit, but we have already looked at the trumpet concerto, some keyboard trios, some 3 & 4 part songs and an oratorio version of the 7 Last Words, not to mention a Mass and some stage music. And so if there was anything left, it must be smallish, eh?  But no, in fact it is biggish, not just a pair of Italian love ballads but another, even bigger and grander Mass!  :o  It was interesting to see what came along with this one. Check it out.  :)

Damn Napoleon anyway!

Thanks,
8)

kishnevi

Well, time to listen to that mass again!
I am a bit confused by this very tangential point
QuoteMrs. Kitty Peploe must have made some sort of impression upon him, although Landon, as well as every other writer I have checked, doesn't even tell us her first name

Kitty was usually a nickname for Catherine.....

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 06, 2018, 05:07:45 PM
Well, time to listen to that mass again!
I am a bit confused by this very tangential point
Kitty was usually a nickname for Catherine.....

No, what I mean is this: I have over a hundred books on Haydn, and not in a single one of them is she called anything but "Mrs. Peploe".  I agree with you, in fact one of my exes was named Katherine/Kitty. However, it was only when I found the family journal I referenced that I even knew she was called 'Kitty'!  I didn't venture any further along those lines because I couldn't say for sure if it was K or C, or if it was even Catherine... :-\

8)

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 06, 2018, 05:21:30 PM
No, what I mean is this: I have over a hundred books on Haydn, and not in a single one of them is she called anything but "Mrs. Peploe".  I agree with you, in fact one of my exes was named Katherine/Kitty. However, it was only when I found the family journal I referenced that I even knew she was called 'Kitty'!  I didn't venture any further along those lines because I couldn't say for sure if it was K or C, or if it was even Catherine... :-\

8)

Ah, now I understand. Danke!

Gurn Blanston

Daverz

I've enjoyed some of the earlier 2032 issues, but here the spunky little orchestra sounds wrong to me in these later works (80 & 81), including the coupled Kraus Symphony in C#.

[asin]B076B568F5[/asin]

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Daverz on January 06, 2018, 07:43:50 PM
I've enjoyed some of the earlier 2032 issues, but here the spunky little orchestra sounds wrong to me in these later works (80 & 81), including the coupled Kraus Symphony in C#.

[asin]B076B568F5[/asin]

Well, it IS a different orchestra though. The Basel orchestra is larger than Il Giardino, possibly not as large as you would like, but at least as large (or larger) than Haydn's own opera orchestra that he wrote them for. I don't feel like there is a good argument for large until we get to the very next symphony, #82 for Paris. I hope then that they go with at least 40 pieces. :)

8)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Daverz

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 07, 2018, 06:26:49 AM
Well, it IS a different orchestra though. The Basel orchestra is larger than Il Giardino, possibly not as large as you would like, but at least as large (or larger) than Haydn's own opera orchestra that he wrote them for. I don't feel like there is a good argument for large until we get to the very next symphony, #82 for Paris. I hope then that they go with at least 40 pieces. :)

8)

Yes, I missed that.  I'll probably give it another shot later.

king ubu

Quote from: Daverz on January 06, 2018, 07:43:50 PM

[asin]B076B568F5[/asin]
Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 07, 2018, 06:26:49 AM

8)
Different reason why I don't think this latest in the (wonderful) series is not quite up to scratch: somehow the orchestra - or the collaboration of Antonini with them - just doesn't have the same punch and nuttiness as Il giardino armonico. But I'll have to give it another spin again soon.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Brian

I'm with you guys - although I don't necessarily think that the orchestra is the problem, I do think that they underplay the eccentricity and rhythmic inspiration of No. 80. Prefer the recent Dantone.

king ubu

Saw the Kammerorchester Basel in concert on Friday, cond. Mario Venzago, Khatia Buniatishvili doing the Schumann after the Genoveva ouvrture, and then the Rhenish after the break. They were fine for sure, but somehow it felt as if Venzago was aiming for something a little bit more exciting and explosive than they were able to give to him (not a problem with Buniatishvili, she's almost too much in almost every respect ... I wasn't 100% convinced, but she was effective indeed).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on January 11, 2018, 06:15:13 AM
I'm with you guys - although I don't necessarily think that the orchestra is the problem, I do think that they underplay the eccentricity and rhythmic inspiration of No. 80. Prefer the recent Dantone.

Dantone is a very fine recording, but in #80, Freiburg Baroque hasn't been topped yet. I am, as always, delighted to have another take on this work. Every performance shows a different idea of how to realize Haydn's vision, and I don't negatively criticize any of them. The fact that Dantone was the ONLY #81 (and 79) shows how much room there is for different ideas to be put out there. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: king ubu on January 14, 2018, 01:13:09 AM
Saw the Kammerorchester Basel in concert on Friday, cond. Mario Venzago, Khatia Buniatishvili doing the Schumann after the Genoveva ouvrture, and then the Rhenish after the break. They were fine for sure, but somehow it felt as if Venzago was aiming for something a little bit more exciting and explosive than they were able to give to him (not a problem with Buniatishvili, she's almost too much in almost every respect ... I wasn't 100% convinced, but she was effective indeed).

SOunds like an interesting programme. Kammerorchester Basel also play modern instruments when they play newer repertoire like that. Did that seem to be the case?  Maybe they just need a conductor who can light a fire under their asses. Although if Antonini didn't, who can? :o

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 15, 2018, 05:04:02 AM
SOunds like an interesting programme. Kammerorchester Basel also play modern instruments when they play newer repertoire like that. Did that seem to be the case?  Maybe they just need a conductor who can light a fire under their asses. Although if Antonini didn't, who can? :o

8)

Probably it has been mentioned before, but their disk with Viviane Chassot is a delight. The transcriptions sound completely idiomatic and the partnership between orchestra and soloist is perfect  :)

[asin]B01N9KOYW7[/asin]
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on January 15, 2018, 05:20:48 AM
Probably it has been mentioned before, but their disk with Viviane Chassot is a delight. The transcriptions sound completely idiomatic and the partnership between orchestra and soloist is perfect  :)

[asin]B01N9KOYW7[/asin]

Certainly not been mentioned to me, I hadn't seen this disk before. That bears looking into! Thanks, G...

8)

The One

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 15, 2018, 04:48:14 AM
but in #80, Freiburg Baroque hasn't been topped yet.

I take it I should buy this, should I? What else in 80?