Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: The One on January 23, 2018, 06:20:35 AM
London are  H.IV/1-4. I was asking for H.IV/1-4

Well, I'm happy with Sans Souci on CPO, but I especially like the Kuijken's. There really are lots of choices though, like the Ensemble Agora, and the Schönbrunn Ensemble. If you can find the Kuijken disk on Accent which has been re-released, this is the older cover though:

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

The One

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 23, 2018, 06:55:55 AM
Well, I'm happy with Sans Souci on CPO, but I especially like the Kuijken's. There really are lots of choices though, like the Ensemble Agora, and the Schönbrunn Ensemble. If you can find the Kuijken disk on Accent which has been re-released, this is the older cover though:
I have that Kuijken and at least a couple more but could you point me to Sans Souci on H 6 /1-4?

king ubu

Regarding the violin concertos, there's also a disc by Isabelle Faust (original (?) cover and recent reissue cover above) ... would have to relisten but these concertos have so far not made all that much of an impression (I know one of them is on the mixed concertos set I recommended above, I guess that would then be my favourite Haydn VC up to now).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: The One on January 23, 2018, 06:59:48 AM
I have that Kuijken and at least a couple more but could you point me to Sans Souci on H 6 /1-4?

I retract that, they don't do 1-4, they do 6-11. My confusion. This may also apply to some others. I mostly listen to the Kuijken's and so I get them mixed up sometimes... :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

The One

Quote from: king ubu on January 23, 2018, 07:04:10 AM

Regarding the violin concertos, there's also a disc by Isabelle Faust (original (?) cover and recent reissue cover above) ... would have to relisten but these concertos have so far not made all that much of an impression (I know one of them is on the mixed concertos set I recommended above, I guess that would then be my favourite Haydn VC up to now).

I've been circling in between Accardo, Carmignola and Standage for a quite while. Faust is not good in Haydn

The One

There was a very good Kantorow somewhere buy I just can't find it to re-listen

The One

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 22, 2018, 07:43:56 AM
Just to say that I spent years collecting these things, if I tried to buy them all at once I would have to mortgage my dog... :)

You said you had the Carmignola VC's, let me look when I get home, I have a bunch of them (I like Standage, for example, but probably not more than Carmignola). I'll get back on that one.

Flute trios have several competitors also. The nicest one, IMO, is the Kuijken brothers. The Sans Souci on CPO are very fine also. Now, if you mean the Flute & Keyboard trios, as opposed to the 2 flutes and cello trios, then also on CPO there is a disk by Camerata Köln that is hard to beat, although dozens try. Patrick Cohen and the Mosaiques guys do a nice job too.

The Creation in English is McCreesh. In German, I think I have all the PI ones, and I have to say the Spering on Naxos pleases me as much as any. Harnoncourt is no slouch either.

For the Masses, the Rebel Baroque on Naxos is the best choice, although there is a lot of good competition here.

For Arianna a Naxos I have easily a dozen and a half, but Andrea Folan with Tom Beghin on Bridge, or better yet the double CD with all 24 of the German Lieder (on Alpha?) is hard to beat.

This doesn't even scratch the surface of the Scottish Songs, or the Baryton Trios or the String Trios or.... :)

8)

Sinfonia concertante: let me look this one up too, I like Angerer (Gramola?) for example, but have a bunch of them. Petite Bande is nice...

Flute trios have several competitors also. The nicest one, IMO, is the Kuijken brothers. The Sans Souci on CPO are very fine also. Now, if you mean the Flute & Keyboard trios, as opposed to the 2 flutes and cello trios, then also on CPO there is a disk by Camerata Köln that is hard to beat, although dozens try. Patrick Cohen and the Mosaiques guys do a nice job too.
Kuijken and Rampal sets are my favorite here. So no need for a new purchase. I'll get Sans Souci for H4/6-11. I have all Camerata Koln and Cohen/Hobart and QM.

The Creation in English is McCreesh. In German, I think I have all the PI ones, and I have to say the Spering on Naxos pleases me as much as any. Harnoncourt is no slouch either.
I keep Rattle, McCreesh, Willcocks and Karajan. I've ordered Spering. I know the Harnoncourt and I don't need that. Thanks

For the Masses, the Rebel Baroque on Naxos is the best choice, although there is a lot of good competition here.
I do not listen to them.

For Arianna a Naxos I have easily a dozen and a half, but Andrea Folan with Tom Beghin on Bridge, or better yet the double CD with all 24 of the German Lieder (on Alpha?) is hard to beat.
What is Beghin's instrument?

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 22, 2018, 04:29:03 PM

So this is what I have. Some of them only have #1 & 4, the rest have 1, 3 & 4. In some cases, the filler work is pretty fine, for example, the Podger has my favorite Mozart Sinfonia concertante, and the Wallfisch has one of my favorite Haydn Sinfonia concertante.  Midori Seiler is excellent. So is Carmignola and Guglielmo. Frankly, there isn't a loser in the bunch, but the Wallfisch does kill 2 birds by giving a fine SC, although you lose the Concerto in A.  Your call, I guess. You can always use Carmignola's #3 and then not worry about it. :)

8)
The only missing ones here are Midori and Wallfisch and they are ordered. Thanks. I wouldn't even think of Midori in Haydn. I'm looking forward to listening to both of them

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 22, 2018, 04:48:25 PM
Gotta say, try this Baryton Trios; if you don't like it, then give up on them for a few years. They are an acquired taste, maybe they need to sit for a while! :)

For the String Trios, choices are thin on the ground. Camerata Berolinensis began a series a few years ago but only got these 2 disks completed. They are well worth the effort to dig up. Haydn didn't write string trios because he couldn't write quartets yet, he wrote them because he was inspired to do so and was damned good at it.  :)

Here is an outstanding disk of songs, some of the canzonettas and Scottish Songs done as they would have been in a salon. Also, this is the disk of German Lieder I was telling you about with Arianna a Naxos and the 24 German songs.

Finally, the Sinfonia concertante. Well, there is the Wallfisch above.  And I really do like this one, the sound of the solo instruments is really quite special (although a modern oboist would probably go 'yeewww'). Screw a modern oboist anyway. :D

There are others in this vein, but this will do for a start. :)

8)
Gotta say, try this Baryton Trios; if you don't like it, then give up on them for a few years. They are an acquired taste, maybe they need to sit for a while! :)

I've tried two sets for a while, Esterhazy and Lukacs, but no, I'll stay out of these.

For the String Trios, choices are thin on the ground. Camerata Berolinensis began a series a few years ago but only got these 2 disks completed. They are well worth the effort to dig up. Haydn didn't write string trios because he couldn't write quartets yet, he wrote them because he was inspired to do so and was damned good at it.  :)

Here is an outstanding disk of songs, some of the canzonettas and Scottish Songs done as they would have been in a salon. Also, this is the disk of German Lieder I was telling you about with Arianna a Naxos and the 24 German songs.

Not in my repertoire but I'll get the Beghin if the fp is proper :D

Finally, the Sinfonia concertante. Well, there is the Wallfisch above.  And I really do like this one, the sound of the solo instruments is really quite special (although a modern oboist would probably go 'yeewww'). Screw a modern oboist anyway. :D

Price hunting for this now, thanks

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: San Antone on January 23, 2018, 07:10:44 AM
Pronouncements such as this make me smile.   ;D

You'll smile a lot if you read this site regularly.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: The One on January 23, 2018, 07:47:30 AM

What is Beghin's instrument?

The only missing ones here are Midori and Wallfisch and they are ordered. Thanks. I wouldn't even think of Midori in Haydn. I'm looking forward to listening to both of them

Price hunting for this now, thanks

Beghin is probably the most meticulous keyboardist out there. He will use exactly the right keyboard for a particular piece, and if it doesn't exist he will have one made (his Complete Keyboard Works on a Blu-Ray disk on Naxos is pretty amazing).

Just a note in case you and I aren't right in tune: Midori Seiler (bio here)  is NOT Midori (bio), she is only a Baroque violinist AFAIK. Very good too.  :)

8)

The One

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 23, 2018, 09:37:32 AM
Just a note in case you and I aren't right in tune: Midori Seiler (bio here)  is NOT Midori (bio), she is only a Baroque violinist AFAIK. Very good too.  :)

Yes!! I have realized it from the cover while ordering it. I'm not responsible for anything I do or say today  :-[

Karl Henning

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on January 23, 2018, 07:48:25 AM
You'll smile a lot if you read this site regularly.  :)

I'll go further: if you aren't smiling while reading GMG, ain't nobody's fault but yer own.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 23, 2018, 09:37:32 AM

8)
And a Classical/Early Romantic era violinist, surely - Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, Schubert, Mendelssohn are big parts of her repertoire.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: North Star on January 23, 2018, 09:52:26 AM
And a Classical/Early Romantic era violinist, surely - Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, Schubert, Mendelssohn are big parts of her repertoire.

Yes, but 'Baroque Violinist' is, like, a job description rather than a limit on her repertoire. For example, Rachel Podger is also a Professor of Baroque Violin in London. :) 

8)

North Star

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 23, 2018, 10:26:30 AM
Yes, but 'Baroque Violinist' is, like, a job description rather than a limit on her repertoire. For example, Rachel Podger is also a Professor of Baroque Violin in London. :) 

8)
Fair enough. ;)
Quote from: The One on January 23, 2018, 09:57:29 AM
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/albumList.jsp?name_id1=44941&name_role1=2&bcorder=2
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/albumList.jsp?name_id1=243100&name_role1=2&bcorder=2
Yep. That 4 Seasons is delightful, too. She's also the concertmaster in e.g. Immerseel's Beethoven symphonies.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

The One

Quote from: North Star on January 23, 2018, 10:51:10 AM
She's also the concertmaster in e.g. Immerseel's Beethoven symphonies.
Good information

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 23, 2018, 10:26:30 AM

8)

It's an interesting idea. If we talk about the HIP field, almost every violinist started as a Baroque violinist, except those coming from a mainstream training (as Viktoria Mullova, for instance).

Keyboardists are a different story because the instruments themselves mark clearly a limit between Baroque and Classical Era.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on February 21, 2018, 05:32:36 PM
It's an interesting idea. If we talk about the HIP field, almost every violinist started as a Baroque violinist, except those coming from a mainstream training (as Viktoria Mullova, for instance).

Keyboardists are a different story because the instruments themselves mark clearly a limit between Baroque and Classical Era.

True. I wonder, other than Badura-Skoda, how many Baroque/Classic keyboardists began life as successful modern players and then had to relearn everything when they switched over to period keyboards. When I say 'relearn', I am also including, besides authentic ornaments etc, the different expressive capabilities and also the expectations for things like repeats. All the wonderful expressions which modern keyboard players use were really developed in the 19th and 20th centuries, thus they are not authentic. Somewhere (here?) we discussed the idea of Beghin, for example, sounding 'academic' because he eschewed many of these devices which didn't actually exist yet in the time the music was written.

I guess what I am asking, is does anyone think it easier to learn something like period keyboard style if one doesn't have to UN-learn modern style first?

8)

kishnevi

Are there really any performers who did not start as modern instrument players? Perhaps they switched during conservatory years, but how many kids ever came home and said, "Mom, I want to play the harpsichord/viola da gamba!"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 21, 2018, 06:00:20 PM
Are there really any performers who did not start as modern instrument players? Perhaps they switched during conservatory years, but how many kids ever came home and said, "Mom, I want to play the harpsichord/viola da gamba!"

One example is Bart van Oort, who studied period keyboards in college (Cornell) under Bilson. Another is Tom Beghin. But I was actually talking about someone who has had a successful career as a modern pianist and then switched over. You are probably right that someone's first touch of a piano key was on a modern piano, hard to be otherwise. But Badura-Skoda was hugely successful before he ever touched a fortepiano. Ingrid Haebler is another of those. Bilson? IDK.  The other one that comes to mind is Schiff, who moves back and forth. He is still known as a modern pianist, but he does very well on fortepiano, even adopting the idiom.

8)