Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

I expect most of you don't know that I spent much of February in hospital, and it has taken me a while to be able to read and write again. But the subject of this essay was too compelling to ignore for longer, and my long overdue look at the Kaiserlied is now published. Hope you enjoy it. :)

our immortal countryman Haydn

Thanks,
8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Florestan

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 13, 2018, 07:14:21 AM
I expect most of you don't know that I spent much of February in hospital, and it has taken me a while to be able to read and write again.

OmG! I wish you a speedy recovery and all the best, my friend!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on March 13, 2018, 07:32:02 AM
OmG! I wish you a speedy recovery and all the best, my friend!

Thanks. Feeling better every day, especially now that I can read and sit at my computer longer than 10 minutes again! :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Keep a-mending, O Gurn!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Baron Scarpia

I was aware of your long hospitalization, but I did not know your recovery has been so difficult. All the best, and to avoid stress, don't watch the news. I'll keep an eye on things for you and send a PM if the time comes to run down into the bunker.  :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 13, 2018, 08:24:56 AM
Thanks. Feeling better every day, especially now that I can read and sit at my computer longer than 10 minutes again! :)

8)

Gute Besserung, Gurn!

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

HIPster

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 13, 2018, 08:24:56 AM

8)

Glad you are feeling better, Gurn:)

Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 13, 2018, 09:15:47 AM
I was aware of your long hospitalization, but I did not know your recovery has been so difficult. All the best, and to avoid stress, don't watch the news. I'll keep an eye on things for you and send a PM if the time comes to run down into the bunker.  :)

:D  Thanks, nothing is more depressing than the news, I must say. Mustn't have a major setback at this point, so nice of you to take the hit for me. ;)

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 13, 2018, 09:17:28 AM
Gute Besserung, Gurn!

Sarge

Vielen Dank, Sarge!

Quote from: HIPster on March 13, 2018, 09:58:42 AM
Glad you are feeling better, Gurn:)

Thank you. For me personally, there is no more serious blow than not being able to sit still and read. Sure glad THAT's over with!  0:)

8)

Madiel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 13, 2018, 07:14:21 AM
But the subject of this essay was too compelling to ignore for longer, and my long overdue look at the Kaiserlied is now published. Hope you enjoy it. :)

our immortal countryman Haydn

Thanks,
8)

Not to ignore the circumstances, but I really enjoyed the essay. I didn't know that Haydn himself was so fond of the tune.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ørfeo on March 14, 2018, 12:54:04 AM
Not to ignore the circumstances, but I really enjoyed the essay. I didn't know that Haydn himself was so fond of the tune.

Thanks!  I had remembered reading things here and there about it, but it wasn't until I started to look them up that I realized there were so many. I left out the biggest one for a later time, but it is even more compelling.

8)

SurprisedByBeauty

Is Haydn ill served by such a conglomerate orchestral arrangement -- or well served? I say: This is much better than any lamely performed Haydn symphony in toto performed at the beginning of a concert.

Classical CD Of The Week: An Imaginary Orchestral Journey With Haydn And The LSO

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2018/03/14/classical-cd-of-the-week-an-imaginary-orchestral-journey-with-haydn-and-the-lso/#1079b6b277d6

Karl Henning

Quote from: JensEvery lamely performed Haydn symphony to open a concert – as a warmup, not quite taken seriously[1] – is a greater offense to the master than this amiable, well-intentioned in-concert sampler.

When you're right, you're right.  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jo498

But these two do not exhaust the options. There is also the option of a well-played complete symphony and I don't really see why a sampler should be preferable to the latter or what purpose the sampler should serve in the first place. I understand a disc of highlights from a 3 (or 15) hour opera as "teaser". But who would hesitate to try a disc with three complete Haydn symphonies and rather try a sampler first?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Jo498 on March 14, 2018, 07:30:12 AM
But these two do not exhaust the options. There is also the option of a well-played complete symphony and I don't really see why a sampler should be preferable to the latter or what purpose the sampler should serve in the first place. I understand a disc of highlights from a 3 (or 15) hour opera as "teaser". But who would hesitate to try a disc with three complete Haydn symphonies and rather try a sampler first?

The disc in question, although I do call it that, isn't really a 'sampler'. It's, well... a journey across Haydn. And it doesn't preclude proper Haydn concerts from being done. (Though there are very, very, very few done well. I'm on a constant mission with every conductor and administrator I speak, to get well-done Haydn concerts onto programs -- with Haydn played last. But it's a slog even for those in power... much less for someone commenting from the sidelines.)

All I wanted to point out is that this 'sampler', this concert (which is what it was), is a BETTER approach than that what we usually get, when we get Haydn. I didn't mean to suggest that it wasn't worse than something ideal.

Gurn Blanston

I wouldn't discourage anyone from it, hopefully it is new music to some and they will be attracted by what they hear. It isn't for me, but that's OK; anyone who gets to hear something 'new' by Haydn will have his/her day improved immeasurably!   :)

8)

Jo498

AFAIK Rattle recorded 4 discs with Haydn symphonies, two with the Birmingham (60/70/90, 22/102/86), two with the Berlin orchestra (88-92, Concertante). I have 3 of them and probably would have bought the 4th if I did not have already lots of Haydn. If Rattle had done another 1 or 2 discs with an interesting mix that not only included very frequently performed pieces, there would have been a decent chance that I purchased such a disc. There is zero chance that I purchase an "Imaginary Journey". And I am still not sure who would buy such a thing.

Another option would have been to do the chaos, earthquake, musical clocks and the ouverture in addition to two complete symphonies, say Farewell and another lesser known one. I might have bought such a disc.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Jo498 on March 14, 2018, 10:39:48 AM
AFAIK Rattle recorded 4 discs with Haydn symphonies, two with the Birmingham (60/70/90, 22/102/86), two with the Berlin orchestra (88-92, Concertante). I have 3 of them and probably would have bought the 4th if I did not have already lots of Haydn. If Rattle had done another 1 or 2 discs with an interesting mix that not only included very frequently performed pieces, there would have been a decent chance that I purchased such a disc. There is zero chance that I purchase an "Imaginary Journey". And I am still not sure who would buy such a thing.

Another option would have been to do the chaos, earthquake, musical clocks and the ouverture in addition to two complete symphonies, say Farewell and another lesser known one. I might have bought such a disc.

It lacks obvious appeal to Haydn-fans like us. I was quite surprised what a joyously-light and entertaining affair it turned out to be but wouldn't have been move, like you, have likely bought it, either.

calyptorhynchus

I was casting my eye of the Hoboken catalogue recently and I had two questions about concertos:

1. The Flute Concerto Hob.VIIf:1, is it thought to be genuine? If so, why don't we hear it more? It's a very pretty piece.
2. The Cello Concerto Hob.VIIb:g1, is this lost or spurious? There don't seem to be any recordings of it.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton