Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzio

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 28, 2019, 02:31:30 PM
I have them all. I would choose the Naxos one all over again. The playing and singing are first-rate, but especially the size of the group, and the recorded acoustic, have a very authentic feel. Big but not huge. It is my go-to set for these works. :)

8)
Thank you!  In the cart it goes!  :)

André

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 28, 2019, 02:31:30 PM
I have them all. I would choose the Naxos one all over again. The playing and singing are first-rate, but especially the size of the group, and the recorded acoustic, have a very authentic feel. Big but not huge. It is my go-to set for these works. :)

8)

I thought your favorite set was Hickox !  :o  I guess I'll have to explore that Naxos set, then... ::)

Madiel

I bought the Naxos a few years ago precisely because of the widespread enthusiasm for it. Revisiting it at the moment as it happens. I don't have any other version.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: André on June 28, 2019, 05:12:45 PM
I thought your favorite set was Hickox !  :o  I guess I'll have to explore that Naxos set, then... ::)

No, my first set was Hickox! Thus it was my favorite by default for quite a few years. :D  I still like it, but I find it (like Gardiner, perhaps) to be more suited for a cathedral than a relatively small church. I also like the way the singers pronounce their Latin, although I've always thought that a bit fussy, still, there it is. You won't have any problem with Rebel Baroque, I believe.  Also, not mentioned here is Tafelmusik/Weil, which is the equal of anyone. :)

Needless to say, this price is ludicrous, but probably available elsewhere too:
[asin]B01K8N9NI8[/asin]

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

JBS

Quote from: Muzio on June 28, 2019, 01:52:05 PM
I was wondering if someone might advise me as to which of the following boxes would be recommended.  Thanks for any help!

What are the actual differences between Decca I (with Willcocks) and Decca II (with Gardiner)? Is it simply a matter of  Gardiner recordings replacing Willcocks recordings? If so, are the Willcocks recordings worth seeking out? (I have Decca II and the Naxos set. And also this one)
[asin]B001C555RK[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

aukhawk

What is the image on that Naxos sleeve?  It looks quite exotic, also very watery - Venice?

Florestan

Quote from: aukhawk on June 29, 2019, 12:53:59 AM
What is the image on that Naxos sleeve?  It looks quite exotic, also very watery - Venice?

Definitely not Venice. Definitely Vienna.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlskirche
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

My vote goes to Rebel/Burdick and Taffelmusik/Weil. I also have Guest/Preston Wilcox and Gardiner. (Six Great Masses).
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Muzio

There is also a little 2-cd set by Marriner covering 4 masses.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: aukhawk on June 29, 2019, 12:53:59 AM

It is the Karlskirche in Vienna, somewhat surprisingly to me. It should have been a picture from Vienna, but I never thought it was. Thanks for pushing me to search it!  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: JBS on June 28, 2019, 08:00:37 PM
What are the actual differences between Decca I (with Willcocks) and Decca II (with Gardiner)? Is it simply a matter of  Gardiner recordings replacing Willcocks recordings? If so, are the Willcocks recordings worth seeking out? (I have Decca II and the Naxos set. And also this one)
[asin]B001C555RK[/asin]

Yes, pretty much. Willcocks is directing the Academy of St Martin in the Fields, and so if you didn't buy it because you wanted period instruments (ahem...  :-[ ), then that excuse goes away, because now you have a combination of Academy of Ancient Music on the one hand, and English Baroque Soloists on the other. If I didn't already have the Preston disks and the Gardiner disks individually, I will have got that box for sure (it is new to me as a box). :)

PS - I like that Harnoncourt too, his Nelson Mass and Missa in Tempore Belli are excellent. The timpanist is clearly having a party in the loft!  :D

8)

Florestan

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 29, 2019, 06:10:30 AM
It is the Karlskirche in Vienna, somewhat surprisingly to me. It should have been a picture from Vienna, but I never thought it was. Thanks for pushing me to search it!  :)

8)

I didn't know what it was either, but I was sure it wasn't Venice. Doesn't look like anything I've seen in Venice --- and I've seen it all.

Muzio

I've used the GMG search engine and cannot seem to locate a section of this thread that discusses books on Joseph Haydn. Specifically, I want to purchase a book (used or new) designed to guide the reader through his works.  On Amazon, I found "Oxford Composer Companions: Haydn" (Hardcover) by David Wyn Jones (Editor).  Does anyone have a copy of this?  Any comments or recommendations?  Thanks!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Muzio on July 01, 2019, 03:06:55 AM
I've used the GMG search engine and cannot seem to locate a section of this thread that discusses books on Joseph Haydn. Specifically, I want to purchase a book (used or new) designed to guide the reader through his works.  On Amazon, I found "Oxford Composer Companions: Haydn" (Hardcover) by David Wyn Jones (Editor).  Does anyone have a copy of this?  Any comments or recommendations?  Thanks!

The book you are searching for does not exist. This has led some people to go to rather extreme lengths to try to provide some information.  Just for interest on your part, go to this link and have a look and see if this is the sort of thing you are looking for. If so, it's free:

www.fjhaydn.com

Oxford Composer Companions: Haydn is a nice book. It is a sort of encyclopedia with information (usually brief) on a huge variety of topics related to Haydn. I use it extensively for reference.  Much to my chagrin, the few gaps I ran into in its otherwise encyclopedic selection always seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. As you can imagine with a topic this large, the depth of the articles is a bit superficial.

8)

Muzio

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 01, 2019, 05:31:16 AM
The book you are searching for does not exist. This has led some people to go to rather extreme lengths to try to provide some information.  Just for interest on your part, go to this link and have a look and see if this is the sort of thing you are looking for. If so, it's free:

www.fjhaydn.com

Oxford Composer Companions: Haydn is a nice book. It is a sort of encyclopedia with information (usually brief) on a huge variety of topics related to Haydn. I use it extensively for reference.  Much to my chagrin, the few gaps I ran into in its otherwise encyclopedic selection always seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. As you can imagine with a topic this large, the depth of the articles is a bit superficial.

8)

Thanks very much!  :)  I'll check out the website.  I may pick up a used copy of the book as well. 

Brian

New this August:

"Ivan Ilic came across these transcriptions, scarcely known at all, through the most unlikely and serendipitous sequence of events. Carl David Stegmann (1751 – 1826) was a tenor, keyboard player, conductor, and composer, who worked mostly in the field of opera. Employed by the Court Theatre in Mainz (where he sang in the first German-language production of Don Giovanni), he also gave a number of acclaimed performances in Frankfurt. Trained as an organist, he made transcriptions of string quintets by Mozart and Beethoven's Trios, Op. 9 as well as keyboard transcriptions of twenty-five of Haydn's symphonies. Ivan Ilic writes: 'It is unclear to me whether these transcriptions were ever meant to be played as concert repertoire, in public. Nevertheless, the enthusiasm I have encountered wherever I have played them has persuaded me to make this recording, to allow more people to hear Stegmann's idiomatic arrangements.'"

Karl Henning

We've been listening a lot to the symphonies, the budgie & I, this summer; but just lately we've been going back again and again to The Seasons and the Harmoniemesse.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 11, 2019, 05:23:51 AM
We've been listening a lot to the symphonies, the budgie & I, this summer; but just lately we've been going back again and again to The Seasons and the Harmoniemesse.

Is it a coincidence, I wonder, that they were his last completed works (along with the Creation Mass)? Latest Haydn has an aura about it which sets it apart, not only from other contemporary music, bt also from earlier Haydn works. Nice summer (or winter) music!  :)

8)

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Madiel

Quote from: Mandryka on July 12, 2019, 02:43:32 AM
Wiki lists a D minor divertimento from 1803, what is it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_Joseph_Haydn#String_Quartets

Well it basically looks a typo for the row immediately above it. D3 instead of 83.

EDIT: That page was only created a couple of weeks ago and basically by one person. I wouldn't treat it as gospel.

SECOND EDIT: There's a piece on IMSLP published by Schott that claims that Hoboken number.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!